As readers of this site know, we typically release our annual Preliminary Rankings of the Lightning's prospects around the first week of October once Lightning camp breaks. Obviously we haven't done that yet, so I just wanted to give everyone an update on where we are.
The Ads almost pulled off the upset.
Morgan Cey allowed 4 goals on 21 shots for the loss. The Admirals outshot the Falcons 29-21 in the game, the first time they've outshot an opponent this season.
NOR Hrdel, (1) (Jones, Kvapil), 19:17
SPR Nilsson, (1) (Bisaillon, Thoresen), 4:15
NOR Egener, (1) (Jones, Wanvig), 4:42
SPR Reddox, (3) (Berry, Smid), 6:09
SPR Nilsson, (2) (Thoresen, Rourke), 6:37
SPR Peckham, (1) (Bodie), 9:22 (PP)
NOR Jones, (1) (Wanvig, Egener), 10:32
The Admirals got some great goaltending from Karri Ramo and Ryan Munce and it made all the difference.
Ramo stopped 10 of 11 shots he faced before giving way to Munce who stopped 28 of 29 and went on for the shootout victory.
Box score from norfolkadmirals.com.
On Sunday at the Chilled Ponds Ice Sports Complex in Chesapeake, Radek Smolenak scored the game-tying and go-ahead goals to propel Team White past Team Blue 6-4 in the Admiralsâ€™ annual Blue vs. White intra-squad scrimmage game.
Boxscore (Team, Period/Time, Scorer, Assists):
1. BLUE 1/5:38 Rob Klinkhammer (Unassisted)
2. WHITE 1/9:40 Stan Lascek (Unassisted)
3. WHITE 1/10:14 Matt Radoslovich (Lance Monych, Vladimir Mihalik)
4. BLUE 1/11:50 Mike Falk (Rob Klinkhammer)
5. BLUE 2/6:21 Dana Tyrell (Mathieu Melanson)
6. WHITE 2/9:59 Radek Smolenak (Daine Todd, Vladimir Mihalik) (Power Play)
7. WHITE 2/13:20 Radek Smolenak (Marek Kvapil, Jay Holladay)
8. WHITE 3/7:58 Justin Keller (Brandon Elliott)
9. BLUE 3/16:24 Dana Tyrell (Unassisted) (Shorthanded)
10. WHITE 3/19:17 Justin Keller (Justin Taylor)
Penalties, goaltender stats, Norfolk cuts and scrimmage stats from the week on the flip.
According to the Hampton Roads Daily Press, former Johnstown Chiefs head coach Frank Anzalone has been named "Development Coach" for the Norfolk Admirals. Anzalone spent the last two seasons tutoring the Lightning's prospects at the ECHL level and has a reputation for being a strong teaching coach.
Also in the article, Admirals GM and Lightning Assistant GM Claude Loiselle singles our Justin Keller, Marek Kvapil, and free agent tryout Justin Taylor for praise. Taylor, a 24 year old 6'4" 210 lbs center, spent the past three seasons with Omaha and Lowell in the AHL. Last season with the Ak Sar Ben Knights he registered 8 goals and 20 points in 51 games with 20 penalty minutes.