BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 01-03-2014, 11:17 PM
XO Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
I'm starting to think since we got about 0% chance for a cup this year that Yzerman might wait and make any moves after the season. We sure can use some size up front. Are forward core is embarrassingly soft.
LOLWUT? 0%? If you want to get technical Vegas has us a 25/1 currently.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Mattias Ohlund's Retirement Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfgreg View Post
LOLWUT? 0%? If you want to get technical Vegas has us a 25/1 currently.
Ok Ok I give them a 3.14% chance on winning.
Note: I cannot confirm or deny that I came up with that number while I was eating Pie.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
I'm starting to think since we got about 0% chance for a cup this year
First Stamkos is going to re-break his leg, now we have no chance to win...time to lay off the holiday "neg nog"?
Old 01-04-2014, 10:12 AM
The Constrictor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaej View Post
I don't know if I'd say we have a "0%" chance of winning the Cup.. do I expect to? Nah. Still, once you're in the playoffs, it's a whole different world and anything can happen.

More to the point, I don't see us picking up a role-player (or any other type of forward) during the season. Offseason could be a different story, but I don't really see us looking for forwards too much then, either. I think Yzerman & Cooper are content to let this group grow & gel together, for the most part.

I think by next season we'll have something akin to:

Forwards (12)
Steven Stamkos
Martin St. Louis
Alex Killorn
Valtteri Filppula
Tyler Johnson
Ondrej Palat
J.T. Brown
Nikita Kucherov
Nate Thompson
B.J. Crombeen
Jonathan Drouin
Richard Panik/Brett Connolly

I expect that Malone will either be dealt or bought out this offseason.

As for Purcell, I know he's always been a highly debated player on the team. Personally, I've always really liked him and been a defender of his. That said, I don't think he'll be with the team next season, either through trade or buyout. Not to take anything away from him, but the emergence of our younger forwards has made him somewhat superfluous. His cap hit, while not unreasonable for a player of his caliber, is a bit high when weighed against our pending RFAs, who will mostly all be due for a raise.
To elaborate on my earlier post, I did an armchair GM on capgeek. It's based on my above assumptions that both Malone & Purcell will be gone next season & on the acquisition of Dan Girardi.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Jonathan Drouin ($0.925m) / Steven Stamkos ($7.500m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Alexander Killorn ($1.250m) / Valtteri Filppula ($5.000m) / Nikita Kucherov ($0.712m)
Ondrej Palat ($0.900m) / Tyler Johnson ($1.250m) / Brett Connolly ($1.250m)
B.J. Crombeen ($1.150m) / Nate Thompson ($1.600m) / J.T. Brown ($0.918m)
Richard Panik ($0.900m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Victor Hedman ($4.000m) / Dan Girardi ($5.000m)
Matt Carle ($5.500m) / Radko Gudas ($0.992m)
Andrej Sustr ($1.250m) / Eric Brewer ($3.875m)
Jean-Philippe Cote ($0.550m) / Mark Barberio ($0.666m)
GOALTENDERS
Ben Bishop ($2.300m)
Anders Lindback ($1.800m)
BUYOUTS
Vincent Lecavalier ($0.000m)
Ryan Malone ($0.000m)
Vinny Prospal ($1.167m)
LTIR
Mattias Ohlund ($3.607m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,078,331; BONUSES: $2,482,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $15,021,669
Old 01-04-2014, 11:47 AM

I wonder what a guy like Purcell could be traded for? It's hard to get a value on the guy because you never know which Purcell is going to show up. Any moves we make are going to have to involve contracts in some way because I believe that we're about at are contract cap. I'd have to imagine several youngsters will be extended like Gudas was last year and they'll get multi year contracts.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:04 PM
The Constrictor

I think Purcell would have excellent trade value. Like him or not, the guy's a proven top-6 winger. His passing ability & shot are incredible, and I'd be willing to bet there are a ton of teams who'd be willing to make a move for a guy like him.

I wonder if once Stamkos returns and the deadline approaches we might be able to work something out with NYR for Girardi.

NYR is still in a competitive spot (as of now) and likely wouldn't be looking to "sell" persay, but acquiring Purcell is still helping their team for this season, too. Particularly considering that their team has struggled to score this season (only Florida & Buffalo have less goals in the East & only Nashville & Calgary have less goals in the West).

As incentive for them, Purcell comes with 2 more years term at a reasonable cap hit as well and they have a lot of players up for contracts this year (at forward and D).

Still, moving Girardi mid-season would leave NYR a bit slim on D, so maybe it wouldn't work. I dunno, just thinking.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:11 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers resign Girardi. There prospects on the back end aren't quite ready yet plus if they trade Del Zotto like their expected to do I think Girardi will be #1 priority for a resigning.

Purcell's problem is he doesn't exactly have star forward potential. He's very good will give north of 50pts a season most likely but long term I'm not sure he fits Cooper's system. He's a big body but rarely uses it along the boards or in front of the net. I still think the bolts rather trade Connolly and/or Panik for any kind of help but I just don't know about Purcell. I feel like we trade him and then he becomes a star forward for someone else. He is only 28 still.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:18 PM
The Constrictor

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers resign Girardi. There prospects on the back end aren't quite ready yet plus if they trade Del Zotto like their expected to do I think Girardi will be #1 priority for a resigning.

Purcell's problem is he doesn't exactly have star forward potential. He's very good will give north of 50pts a season most likely but long term I'm not sure he fits Cooper's system. He's a big body but rarely uses it along the boards or in front of the net. I still think the bolts rather trade Connolly and/or Panik for any kind of help but I just don't know about Purcell. I feel like we trade him and then he becomes a star forward for someone else. He is only 28 still.
Again, my reason for trading Purcell has little to nothing to do with Purcell himself. I like Purcell. I defend Purcell. I think Purcell is a very good player. However, Purcell is in UFA years, and we have a large group of young RFAs who are working him out of a job, in my opinion. In sports, when you have a valuable asset that you no longer have a need for, it's acceptable to trade it for the greater benefit of your team. It's not a knock to Purcell in any way, and I don't mean to imply that we should "give up on him". I just believe that from an asset management standpoint, he's a very tradeable asset as we won't necessarily have a need for him here (once Stamkos comes back).

As for Girardi, I also wouldn't be surprised if NYR wanted to resign him. Wanting to and actually getting him to sign are two different things, though. If he does resign, so be it. But it hasn't happened yet - thus, speculation.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:30 PM

I understand your point on Purcell. If we could get another team (preferably in the West) to give us a 1st round pick or a young d man I'd be all for trading Purcell. I'm not a huge fan of his Houdini act he pulls half of the season anyway. I don't see any way that he will be above the third line next season with the kids showing up and offering just as much if not more then Percy does on a night to night basis.

I'm just worried about going the free agent approach again. Carle and Filppulla weren't bad signings but the lengths were a little long. As far as free agency I'd like a depth 6 or 7 d man (Deryk Engelland?) that may cost 1.5-2 million but worth it if it stabilizes the d core. And maybe one 3/4 line forward with grit/size. Other then that maybe acquire a top 4 d man. And that has the makings for a strong cup contender next season, IMO
Old 01-04-2014, 01:45 PM
The Constrictor

Since we're talking about NYR, and you're talking about gritty, depth-players, does anyone know how the development on McIlrath is coming and if NYR would have any interest in moving him as part of a package trade?