BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 01-03-2014, 08:45 PM
The Clymer-Olvestad Experiment

I am in the "we don't need one camp".
Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Default Yep

I agree WW, these kids need to mature together just like the Cup team had to do and get the experience they need to win the Cup.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Brad Richard's Contract

I'm starting to think since we got about 0% chance for a cup this year that Yzerman might wait and make any moves after the season. We sure can use some size up front. Are forward core is embarrassingly soft.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:58 PM
The Clymer-Olvestad Experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
I'm starting to think since we got about 0% chance for a cup this year that Yzerman might wait and make any moves after the season. We sure can use some size up front. Are forward core is embarrassingly soft.
Your kidding right? If he waits for the UFA period he may very well over pay, which is something we can not afford.

We may not go to the Cup Finals, but we have a good chance to go deep. After all we are sitting pretty good now in the #3 slot. This is what it is all about, giving the kids learning time in the post season. Then they can hit the training rooms in the off season to build on what they have learned.

Give these kids one year, another year for Bishop and build on the defense.....this team can make a serious run in 2014-2015 with their spped and great netminder.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:59 PM
The Constrictor

I don't know if I'd say we have a "0%" chance of winning the Cup.. do I expect to? Nah. Still, once you're in the playoffs, it's a whole different world and anything can happen.

More to the point, I don't see us picking up a role-player (or any other type of forward) during the season. Offseason could be a different story, but I don't really see us looking for forwards too much then, either. I think Yzerman & Cooper are content to let this group grow & gel together, for the most part.

I think by next season we'll have something akin to:

Forwards (12)
Steven Stamkos
Martin St. Louis
Alex Killorn
Valtteri Filppula
Tyler Johnson
Ondrej Palat
J.T. Brown
Nikita Kucherov
Nate Thompson
B.J. Crombeen
Jonathan Drouin
Richard Panik/Brett Connolly

I expect that Malone will either be dealt or bought out this offseason.

As for Purcell, I know he's always been a highly debated player on the team. Personally, I've always really liked him and been a defender of his. That said, I don't think he'll be with the team next season, either through trade or buyout. Not to take anything away from him, but the emergence of our younger forwards has made him somewhat superfluous. His cap hit, while not unreasonable for a player of his caliber, is a bit high when weighed against our pending RFAs, who will mostly all be due for a raise.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Brad Richard's Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
Your kidding right? If he waits for the UFA period he may very well over pay, which is something we can not afford.

We may not go to the Cup Finals, but we have a good chance to go deep. After all we are sitting pretty good now in the #3 slot. This is what it is all about, giving the kids learning time in the post season. Then they can hit the training rooms in the off season to build on what they have learned.

Give these kids one year, another year for Bishop and build on the defense.....this team can make a serious run in 2014-2015 with their spped and great netminder.
I'm not thinking he'll be a player in free agency this year. Best targets seem like trade but I'd expect more of a draft day trade then a trade deadline acquisition.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:20 PM
The Constrictor

Quote:
AHL playoffs mean nothing when it comes to the NHL playoffs. Competition level isn't even close.
I don't know that it means "nothing". Learning how to win in the playoffs as a team is still a valuable experience for them. You're right in suggesting that it doesn't translate to winning automatically in the NHL, but if it meant "nothing" we wouldn't even develop players in the AHL.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Brad Richard's Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaej View Post
I don't know that it means "nothing". Learning how to win in the playoffs as a team is still a valuable experience for them. You're right in suggesting that it doesn't translate to winning automatically in the NHL, but if it meant "nothing" we wouldn't even develop players in the AHL.
I was talking more from an competition aspect. The learning to win and to succeed as a group obviously means something positive. No hockey is more intense then the NHL playoffs.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:27 PM
The Constrictor

Quote:
I was talking more from an competition aspect. The learning to win and to succeed as a group obviously means something positive. No hockey is more intense then the NHL playoffs.
Fair enough. They'll get there. This year (presumably) will be a good learning experience & test for the team.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Brad Richard's Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaej View Post
Fair enough. They'll get there. This year (presumably) will be a good learning experience & test for the team.
That's what I'm hoping will happen. Add in Drouin next season and get a couple solid D with experience and this team could begin a string of highly successful years