BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 01-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Default Trade Discussion Thread For Forwards

Really I could see Yzerman not make any moves at all this season and go with the lineup that we have. Right now I'd say the bolts could maybe win a playoff series or two but that's being optimistic. I see management doing more of the "Rays approach". For anyone that Ray's fans you know what I'm talking about and for those who don't I'll explain. The Rays rarely make an impact move at a trade deadline. Instead they gather a ton of information and get a lot of talks going in a lot of different ways with a lot of different teams. Then during the off season after a couple months of deliberation they go after their top targets and try to get the most out of it and pick the deals that most helps the team for the current and foreseeable future.

Experience from this year will help also. I don't see Sustr or Barberio or Aulie or Cote having tremendous playoffs. Sustr needs to bulk up and he could be a true Top-4 D-man, Barberio isn't good enough defensively and Cote and Aulie have foot speed issues though there styles suit playoff hockey more. Forward size/physicality and experience is another issue that will hurt in the post season. Johnson, Killorn, and Palat can be successful even as rookies in the playoffs the rest I'm not so sure. And skill size is about non-existent with Malone not ever being reliable to stay healthy.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Cooper's Law

I've never put much stock in playoff experience. If a player can play, then they can play. Bergenheim had no playoff experience and absolutely came alive during their first run under Boucher.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpace View Post
I've never put much stock in playoff experience. If a player can play, then they can play. Bergenheim had no playoff experience and absolutely came alive during their first run under Boucher.
We dressed what, 12 rookies last game, or something silly like that? I think as a whole, your team still needs guys who can calm things down. If memory serves me right, Bergenheim struggled up until the tail end of that Pitt series, even Thor needed to settle into his nerves a bit. Not to mention he had Moore on his line.

I'm not saying to dump all of the youth in favor of age, but I think that a couple of role players would help balance the inevitable slides some of the young guys might take.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:06 PM

True but Bergy also had 300 games of NHL experience by time he made his first playoffs. And even at that Bergy's game suited the tight checking playoff hockey mentality. Over half of are team including both goalies will have less then even half of that many games of NHL experience if we make the playoffs.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
We dressed what, 12 rookies last game, or something silly like that? I think as a whole, your team still needs guys who can calm things down. If memory serves me right, Bergenheim struggled up until the tail end of that Pitt series, even Thor needed to settle into his nerves a bit. Not to mention he had Moore on his line.

I'm not saying to dump all of the youth in favor of age, but I think that a couple of role players would help balance the inevitable slides some of the young guys might take.
Agreed 100%.
I just did a little research and we have 13 players with a grand total of 539 playoff games between them. Filppulla had 105 and Salo has 100 leading the way.

Boston has 20 players with a grand total of 1074 playoff games led by Chara whom has 129. Just too put that in prospection.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post

Let's not forget most of these kids all played three set's of Calder Cup playoffs.
Also, two deep runs including a 'cup'. That experience is going to play out really well for them. In watching them develop this year you can see that many are really starting to step up to the task of the NHL hockey thing. I believe that bodes well for their first entry into the "GAMES". We shall see.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Old 01-03-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post
Let's not forget most of these kids all played three set's of Calder Cup playoffs.
Also, two deep runs including a 'cup'. That experience is going to play out really well for them. In watching them develop this year you can see that many are really starting to step up to the task of the NHL hockey thing. I believe that bodes well for their first entry into the "GAMES". We shall see.
AHL playoffs mean nothing when it comes to the NHL playoffs. Competition level isn't even close.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
True. I think I'm gonna make a free agency thread just for the forwards since we have one for the defense.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:38 PM

Default Trade Discussion Thread For Forwards

Since there's already a thread for possible defensemen trades and since it's been a hot topic in the Around the NHL thread it seems like a good idea to have one for forwards as well. Some people (like me) think it would be a good idea to get a role player to assist in are push to the playoffs but others argue that we don't need one and it's not a big issue. So possible targets? Your opinions?

If a mod would like to, there's a bunch of posts in the around the NHL thread that pertain to this subject or you can just merge this thread with the targets on defense and make it a general trade deadline talk thread, which ever you prefer.

Possible targets: Steve Ott, Olli Jokinen, David Legwand

Last edited by Derek28; 01-03-2014 at 08:41 PM.