BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Old-Skool Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Zo View Post
ANYONE can REGISTER on the BOLTPROSPECTS message board.

NOT EVERYONE can MAKE the entire USER BASE want to PUT YOU on IGNORE in your FIRST THREE WEEKS.
Almost made me spit out my coffee. Gold.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:16 AM
The Constrictor

Quote:
ANYONE can REGISTER on the BOLTPROSPECTS message board.

NOT EVERYONE can MAKE the entire USER BASE want to PUT YOU on IGNORE in your FIRST THREE WEEKS.
Can someone help me out here? I have vague recollection of this, but I can't quite place it.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
I'm thinking his hand isn't 100%. The last fight he had it looked nasty afterwards. But Crombeen isn't one to back down so what you said actually might be true.
Good to be worried about his hand, what else would he miss throwing punches with?

Poor Malone.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
Fighting is a joke.
Not entirely. It's been an integral part of pro hockey since the 19th century for a reason. It does deter certain acts to some degree, even if not 100%, just as prison and fines deter certain acts, though not 100%, in the non-hockey world. (This is coming from a former fight-loather whose two favorite players are Wayne Gretzky and Marty St. Louis)

Bishop getting his head slammed on the post and not sustaining a concussion was just pure luck/blessing from above. Westgarth is a steaming pool of vulture vomit who needed to have his vacant cranium visited by someone other than Ryan "Waterford Crystal" Malone, having to stand there and get pounded like a dusty area rug while bending his freshly sewn eye away from the blows. Kudos to him for standing up for Bishop, he is balls deluxe on a platter...but I thought that was what one tough Frenchy Canuck named Jean-Philippe Cote was supposed to do, according to his billing. I can think of no quicker way to endear himself to his new teammates in his new league. (No Virginia, that doesn't mean I believe he's a fighter on the order of McGrattan or Westgarth.)

Bottom line: when you hug guys who run your goalie, you get your goalie run more, not less. Not OK in my book

Last edited by Top Shelf; 01-04-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Not entirely. It's been an integral part of pro hockey since the 18th century for a reason. It does deter certain acts to some degree, even if not 100%, just as prison and fines deter certain acts, though not 100%, in the non-hockey world. (This is coming from a former fight-loather whose two favorite players are Wayne Gretzky and Marty St. Louis)

Bishop getting his head slammed on the post and not sustaining a concussion was just pure luck/blessing from above. Westgarth is a steaming pool of vulture vomit who needed to have his vacant cranium visited by someone other than Ryan "Waterford Crystal" Malone, having to stand there and get pounded like a dusty area rug while bending his freshly sewn eye away from the blows. Kudos to him for standing up for Bishop, he is balls deluxe on a platter...but I thought that was what one tough Frenchy Canuck named Jean-Philippe Cote was supposed to do, according to his billing. I can think of no quicker way to endear himself to his new teammates in his new league. (No Virginia, that doesn't mean I believe he's a fighter on the order of McGrattan or Westgarth.)

Bottom line: when you hug guys who run your goalie, you get your goalie run more, not less. Not OK in my book
Agreed with this 100%. You know guys Westgarth probably does cross check Bishop in that situation even if we had Engellend or Carkner but it would of been a better response then Hedman's hug. I've watched most of the Pens and Bruins games and they both have all-star goalies like we do. In the games that I've seen Rask and Fleury rarely if ever get touched by an opposing player. You know why? It's because they know their season goes by with who they have in net and they'll do anything in their power to protect them whenever possible or is needed. Bishop gets ran into every other game and that isn't even an exaggeration anymore. 9 times outta 10 it's not a penalty either and the guy that runs into Bishop has no reprecusions. Other teams will catch on and go even harder to the net. If Bishops' hurt where this team go? It won't be a playoff team that's for sure. Believe it or not when another team sees tape of this kind of incident then they'll encourage there players to go to the net and slash, cross-check, bump into Bishop. If Westgarth gets pounded then another team and other players might be hesistant going around the crease because they know if the bump Bishop then there getting beat up for it.

Just so you know even the fighters I talk about a lot are guys like Ott, Konopka, Engelland, Carkner. Those guys are good enough players and fill roles/ are extremely effective. I've never once said let's go get a goon that can skate 3 minutes. Some people just have a hard time understanding that I guess.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
I really, really, really want to see us force the entire Oiler fanbase to litter the ice with shirts
I thought we might see some garbage flying last night. It's OK that it was only tears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
We get, for example, Carkner to be our "enforcer." This enforcer's job is to keep another enforcer, say Westgarth, from doing dangerous or stupid shit to our players. The enforcer's job is to fight the other guy. Westgarth fights. They drop the gloves on the next shift together, but the act to "injure" one of our players has already been committed.

Now we can think of grabbing an even tougher guy to intimidate the enforcers. With that in mind, how are the Sabres doing?

Having a garbage man in the neighborhood doesn't stop people from generating trash.
The "preventative" factor is unprovable and pretty much just BS people tell themselves to reinforce something they already believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpace View Post
Kyle, is that you? *squint*
Understandable thought, but no.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
I thought we might see some garbage flying last night. It's OK that it was only tears.
Very surprised to see so many fans there last night. Calgary is a train wreck, the unwatchable kind
Old 01-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbolt12 View Post
Never seen a debate over fighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
Little overboard much?
I don't see why people would be that annoyed by my comments. I enjoy physical hockey, that is all. I love the bolts just as much as anyone else on this board and whether the lineup is how I'd arrange it or not I'd still support it. It's not like I write obscenities towards people or tear them down because I don't agree with their comments. I respect everyone who disagrees with any comments I have and I love a good old fashioned debate. Just saying....
Nothing against you personally - I'm just tired of reading the same old arguments/posts over and over. The other ideas I've seen you bring do have elements to promote conversations, whether we agree or not, and those are more than welcomed in my opinion.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Very surprised to see so many fans there last night. Calgary is a train wreck, the unwatchable kind
Indeed.

Was thinking last night that it would be a pity if people were paying $30+++ per ticket to watch that disaster, but I see some on StubHub Canada for non-big ticket opponents (which seems to be anyone but the Pens & other Canadian teams) starting at around $10.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Nothing against you personally - I'm just tired of reading the same old arguments/posts over and over. The other ideas I've seen you bring do have elements to promote conversations, whether we agree or not, and those are more than welcomed in my opinion.
Fair enough. I like to debate a lot especially if I believe what I'm saying is rational (to me at least) but I could see those arguments getting stale especially in this new NHL era we are in. I just have never agreed with the "let the power play be your enforcer" crowd. I still like a good old fashioned punch in the face contest if the other player is being dirty. But again that's just my opinion on the whole matter. It really had nothing to promote fighting. At least run over there goalie if they cross check Bishop like that. Like Dinger said at intermission "eye for an eye". That probably deters someone even more then having an enforcer would.
Closed Thread