BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 01-17-2014, 12:51 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I don't think he's been lost so much as incredibly fatigued. He hit the rookie wall hard. NCAA guys are used to playing about 35-40 games a season and only 2-3 per week and not nearly as much travel. Once Sustr got to about 25-30 games with all the travel and the more tightly spaced schedule he just started to run out of gas.

That's also why I think Killorn looked like dookie the final month of last season, too. It's something to bear in mind with NCAA guys in the future.

Unfortunately, as far as this season goes (from an NHL perspective), it may not be something Sustr can completely come back from. It typically takes grinding out the rest of a 70-80 game campaign and then a very good offseason of training to prepare yourself for the heavier workload.
I'm fine with that too. Aulie can replace his 10 minutes a night without missing a beat, and he gets to develop and help Syracuse out.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:55 AM
BP Staff

Honestly, though, 80-90% Sustr may be a better option than Aulie or Barberio. As Erlendsson is speculating, it may be a deal where if Yzerman can move Aulie Sustr will come right back up. I'm just not sure he'll be 100% fit the rest of the year, though. It's just a tough thing to play double the number of games you're used to in a season and deal with all the extra travel and practices that go along with those games, too. NCAA programs do better at building up their players from a strength standpoint, IMO, but the junior schedules line up closer to the pro experience in terms of number and spacing of games.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:58 AM
Mattias Ohlund's Retirement Plans

Didn't Sustr play in the USHL? I thought they typically have longer schedules in their seasons like 50-60 games. Maybe Yzerman is going to bring in a new D-Man via trade.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Honestly, though, 80-90% Sustr may be a better option than Aulie or Barberio. As Erlendsson is speculating, it may be a deal where if Yzerman can move Aulie Sustr will come right back up. I'm just not sure he'll be 100% fit the rest of the year, though. It's just a tough thing to play double the number of games you're used to in a season and deal with all the extra travel and practices that go along with those games, too. NCAA programs do better at building up their players from a strength standpoint, IMO, but the junior schedules line up closer to the pro experience in terms of number and spacing of games.
Rumor has it Aulie is indeed the one Yzerman is shopping, but I would rather have him back there then Barberio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
Didn't Sustr play in the USHL? I thought they typically have longer schedules in their seasons like 50-60 games. Maybe Yzerman is going to bring in a new D-Man via trade.
No he played for the University of Nebraska-Omaha
Old 01-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
He did, but for just 1 season.

I'm of the opinion that he's hit the rookie wall more on the mental side than the physical wear and tear side. Meaning, the former slightly ahead of the latter.

Not that either are not correctable
Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 AM
Jay Feaster's Cheeto Encrusted Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
No he played for the University of Nebraska-Omaha
He did play in the USHL for the Youngstown Phantoms in 2009-2010, during the same time that Cooper was in Green Bay with the Gamblers.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:55 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Rumor has it Aulie is indeed the one Yzerman is shopping, but I would rather have him back there then Barberio.
This is a joke, right?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:45 AM
The Constrictor

Fun fact: Sustr also played for the Kenai River Brown Bears in 08-09 under head coach Mike Flanagan (Ex-Norfolk assistant coach with Cooper).
Old 01-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Mattias Ohlund's Retirement Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
This is a joke, right?
I agree with RSchmirz. Aulie although slow, can play a good defensive game and uses both his size and reach to his advantage. He's not afraid to clear the crease and if he has to stand up for himself or a teammate he's their to do it. Barberio isn't really some prize to have on the Defense. He's touted as this great offensive d man yet he has less then 5 points all year. That's not offensively gifted to me and his defensive play is terrible.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5on5original View Post
He did play in the USHL for the Youngstown Phantoms in 2009-2010, during the same time that Cooper was in Green Bay with the Gamblers.
Aww didn't look that far back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
This is a joke, right?
No joke sir. Barbario sucks, Aulie is a good bottom pairing defenseman. At least, he can play 10 minutes a night without giving up 3 quality scoring chances to the other team.