BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 12-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Cooper's Law

Default 2017-2018 Roster

Since we have no hockey for a couple of days, I thought it might be interesting to look at the 2017-18 roster. Baseball America does this at least once a year for each team, and while they are never even close to what actually happens because of free agency, trades, injuries, I always found it an interesting story.

Rules are simple, you can only include players that are in the system. No trades, no free agent signings.

Forwards:
Stamkos, Drouin, Erne
Namestnikov, Kucherov, Panik
Johnson, Palat, Filpula
Richard, Brown, Killorn
Hart, Peca

Defense:
Hedman, Koekkoek
Gudas, Carle
Blujus, Sustr
Nesterov, Korobov

Goal:
Bishop
Vasilevski

My first impressions - small up front and a continued organizational need to improve the defense.

But there is an opportunity to fill any holes with the excess in top 6 forwards in the system. Oh - and St. Louis may still be playing in 2017 - 18 the way he is going.

Hope some of our BP staff takes this on, because I would be most interested in their take on our future.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Johnny Shortside

Pretty much impossible to get correct but I'll take a stab at it:

Erne-Stamkos-Drouin
Palat-Johnson-Killorn
Filpulla-Namestnikov-Kucherov
Paquette-Richard-Gauthier
Ikonen

Hedman-Koekkoek
Gudas-Sustr
Korobov-Witkowski
Dotchin- Nesterov

Vasilevski
Wilcox
Old 12-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Brian Bradley's Pimp Blazer

Forwards:
Killorn , Stamkos, Drouin
Kucherov, Namestnikov, Erne
Panik, Johnson, Palat
Connolly, Filp, Brown

Healthy Scratches/Bubble Players
Ikonen, Peca, Paquette, Richard, Hart, Gauthier

Defense:
Hedman, Koekkoek
Gudas, Carle
Blujus, Sustr

Healthy Scratches/Bubble Players
Nesterov, Dotchin, Barberio, Witkowski, Korobov

Goal:
Bishop
Vasilevski

My first impressions - all 4 lines are able to play a 2 way game with high scoring potential. Lack of fighters on Forward lines but huge amount of skill and speed. Dont think they are lacking size but they are all a good NHL size and speed to make up for it. I do think the organization is lacking a good skilled PF heavyweight with skill...but then again Milan Lucic type players don't grow in trees.

I think eventually Panik, Connolly, and Barberio are able to figure it out and contribute on the third/fourth lines. Dont see any of them breaking into top two lines with the amount of talent there and may be moved for a #2D or a gritty skilled PF. I also think Ikonen who is now listed at 6' and 198 lbs is doing great in the CHL and has a real shot to be a contributor at the NHL level - he is a bit of an overlooked prospect at the moment but I think he has very good potential.

We sprinkle a few key additions and this might be a roster destined for a year in year out cup run. I believe Yzerman is waiting his time to see how those bubble players develop (Ikonen/Peca/Nesterov/etc) - if they can contribute at the NHL level and provide some depth - we may see a move to trade involving Panik/Conno/Barbs.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Drouin-Stamkos-Kucherov
Connolly-Namestnikov-Flippula
Palat-Johnson-Panik
Brown-Richard-Erne
Paquette

Hedman-Koekkoek
Gudas-Carle
Sustr-Dotchin
Nesterov

Bishop
Vasilevski

My first thought is...STILL hard as hell to find room for our forwards
Old 12-25-2013, 05:40 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
My first thought is...STILL hard as hell to find room for our forwards
Yes and I even forgot Connolly.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:58 PM
BP Staff

The thing is, several of these forwards will have to move on because there's either not enough spots to assign to them or their contracts will be cost prohibitive.

What I think we know for sure is that:

1.) The top two lines will be anchored by two pairings: Drouin/Stamkos and Namestnikov/Kucherov.

2.) Hedman will be anchor of one of the top two pairings. Gudas, I now believe, can anchor the other.

3.) The goaltending is set between Bishop and Vasilevskiy. The only question is whether/when they may choose to move Bishop because they can't pay the big bucks to two really good goaltenders a la the Luongo/Schneider conundrum that Vancouver faced.

So with all that said:

Drouin/Stamkos/Hart
Erne/Namestnikov/Kucherov
Killorn/Filppula/Peca
Palat/Johnson/Ikonen
Paquette

Hedman/Sustr
Koekkoek/Gudas
Carle/Blujus
Nesterov/Witkowski

Bishop
Vasilevskiy
Gudlevskis

As of today, my feeling is that Connolly and Panik won't be here long term, and the guys to acquire for them plus future draft picks probably change the landscape of what you would actually have. Brown will also be too costly to keep around.

My impressions are:

1.) It remains to be seen if Hart can rise to the level of being a top-2 line forward, but they drafted Hart and Erne, IMO, to be the size on the top-2 lines.
2.) There's a ton of flexibility with lines 2-4.
3.) They need to cultivate an enforcer.
4.) I feel better about the future of our defense than I did October 1st. A lot better.
5.) Out goaltending will be stupid-good. Thank you Steve Yzerman.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:10 PM
Cooper's Law

Thanks for all of your input. I look forward to seeing what others come up with.

What is amazing is that as young and as much talent as the Lightning have at forward, in 4 years Pete sees 6 forwards that aren't even with the team yet.

If those 6 can really push out what we have (Connolly, Panik, Brown), that's crazy good.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Johnny Shortside

As Pete said with his cultivating an enforcer that's what I'd love to see Yzerman spend a 6 or 7 round pick this season. Also keep an eye on Witkowski or Dotchin for that role. Witko use to have trouble finding fights in the USHL because he dropped like half of his opponents. Once he Gets the rust off and gets back to fighting a somewhat decent amount I'd like to see him fight some of the tougher AHL competition. Same with Dotchin in a way. The OHL has a 10 fight cap so Dotchin doesn't fight that often and his emergence as a two way d man has lessened his focus on fighting. But make no mistake Dotchin can throw and he's a big boy. I think he's 6'3 230lbs so we could have are next enforcer in are system right now.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I take it you don't believe Brown will be here long term either, Pete?
Old 12-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Johnny Shortside

Granted, I haven's seen to much of Brown but I think his problem is he doesn't have 1 trait that he excels in. He does everything good but he doesn't do anything that is great like for example:

Palat has the playmaking ability of a 10 year veteran and seems to always get the puck on someone's stick no matter where he is in the offensive zone. Plus his defense is great for such a young player:

Johnson has a sniper shot and knows where to be to score goals. Also has a defensive game that is beyond his years a lot like Palat.

Kucherov is a puck guy plain and simple. If he has the puck on his stick he's lethal. His playmaking ability makes defenseman and Nabokov...err I mean goalies look stupid. And his shot is lethal as well and he knows how to score a goal from anywhere.

Drouin is an elite passer and just has a knack for putting up points and dizzying the other team by watching him skate around them in circles.

Namestnikov: Another great play maker with the puck. He is a great passer and a good center that makes everyone around him look better.

That's just my thoughts on it personally.