BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 12-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
I'm thinking Hamonic would cost a boat load. Like Connolly + another good youngster. His cap hit is extremely affordable and very long term.

I'd look at younger d men for Connolly. Like I mentioned Tinordi, I'd also include Jared Cowen from Ottawa, Conor Allen/Dylan McIlrath from the Rangers, Dalton Prout from Columbus. All are young D men with size that can play responsibly defensively and are physical. Tinordi, Cowen, and McIlrath were first round picks.
I think McIlrath's skating speed will scare Yzerman off, a la Aulie. I admittedly don't know much about Conor Allen. Cowen would be a good pick up because he is in the same boat Connolly is in, struggling to crack the NHL. Except we would have more of an opportunity here. Tinordi has a ton of latent talent, I'd like to pick him up too. All of them are big, which Yzerman likes, but I think Yzerman would probably favor Tinordi and Cowen.

None of these guys would be ready to step in and play any kind of significant time however, which would be the idea behind trading for a guy at this point. Hamonic, depending on where you read, might be slightly more available and cheaper than he's ever been. You are right, it would probably cost more than Connolly
Old 12-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Mattias Ohlund's Retirement Plans

I know McIlrath is slow but he is coming off of knee surgery from last season and as shown that Cooper likes dressing 7D would it be horrible for that 7th D man to be an enforcer that could develop into a top 4 defensive d man role. Allen was a college sighing I believe. He's a decent prospect but probably a couple years away from the NHL.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
I know McIlrath is slow but he is coming off of knee surgery from last season and as shown that Cooper likes dressing 7D would it be horrible for that 7th D man to be an enforcer that could develop into a top 4 defensive d man role. Allen was a college sighing I believe. He's a decent prospect but probably a couple years away from the NHL.
Aulie did a pretty good job intimidating the other team, but they still elected to sit him in favor of the unflappable Mark Barberio(sarcasm), so I don't think he will be targeted. Especially if we are trading Connolly for a 7th D
Old 12-20-2013, 04:34 PM

Really we could just wait till free agency for an enforcer that's a d man. Deryk Engellend from the Penguins is a free agent this year and he has had a 10pt NHL season and a 17pt NHL season. Not bad numbers for an enforcer plus he can also play 4th line wing and he skates 10 times better than Labrie and fights way better too.

Gudas-Hedman
Carle-?
Sustr-Brewer
Engelland-Barberio/Cote/Aulie

just a thought but maybe target Kevin Bieksa or Alex Edler. Both have full NTC but they did play under Rick Bowness are defense coach and cVancouver could use a NHL ready forward like a Connolly and maybe a throw in of a Barberio or Aulie
Old 12-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Send a message via AIM to njbolt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
I'm not opposed to trading Connolly. But it better be for a young defense man who is is the 21 - 25 age range that has a long future ahead of him. Otherwise you need to let him play in Syracuse and develop because I don't think we know exactly what type of player Connolly will become at age 22.
My thoughts as well. But because his value / development is a little murky, I don't think Connolly's going to get you a young stud at this point. You probably have to add another piece. And find an organization that's willing to part with such a valuable asset that everyone except the Hawks seems to want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
I wonder if Hamonic is available. He'd be the perfect pick up.
I agree, but I doubt he's available at all, and prying him from the Islanders is going to cost you at least what it would take for SFY to trade someone like Gudas, IMO.

Someone like Orlov who seems to not be getting a shot with the Capitals would be a good target if he played for a team in the West.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking Hamonic would cost a boat load. Like Connolly + another good youngster. His cap hit is extremely affordable and very long term.

I'd look at younger d men for Connolly. Like I mentioned Tinordi, I'd also include Jared Cowen from Ottawa, Conor Allen/Dylan McIlrath from the Rangers, Dalton Prout from Columbus. All are young D men with size that can play responsibly defensively and are physical. Tinordi, Cowen, and McIlrath were first round picks.
Problem is, not only do I think you pay a similar price for most of these guys, Cowen is the only established NHLer out of the group that you know can step in and play right away. Plus, the Senators have to be out of the postseason chase to make that deal, and even then it would seem doubtful as even though Cowen's had a not so great year, he fits into their young core.

Quote:
Really we could just wait till free agency for an enforcer that's a d man. Deryk Engellend from the Penguins is a free agent this year and he has had a 10pt NHL season and a 17pt NHL season. Not bad numbers for an enforcer plus he can also play 4th line wing and he skates 10 times better than Labrie and fights way better too.

Gudas-Hedman
Carle-?
Sustr-Brewer
Engelland-Barberio/Cote/Aulie

just a thought but maybe target Kevin Bieksa or Alex Edler. Both have full NTC but they did play under Rick Bowness are defense coach and cVancouver could use a NHL ready forward like a Connolly and maybe a throw in of a Barberio or Aulie
As Pete mentioned, if Tampa is in position to make a run, you need a guy like Engelland (who's still really a third pair guy) for this spring, and the Penguins aren't going to be in a rush to move him.

Edler's gonna be really really expensive. Top 2 guy, 27, and signed for term at a lower hit than Matt Carle. Bieksa won't be cheap either. You also run into the problem of prying defensemen away from a team that thinks their contender window is still open.

It's just really hard to pick up D help. The idea of Timmonen being a modern day Sydor had some merit, but now the Flyers are back in the playoff hunt (and currently in 3rd in the god awful Metro division).

Here's hoping SY has more of the incriminating evidence he used to rob Holmgren at gunpoint when he did the Mez and Gagne deals.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:48 PM

Also, since it'll probably be revisited often (and has been discussed before),this topic might be a good candidate for a separate thread and some post moving from here and the Cote thread. Sotnos, I know you're not busy
Old 12-20-2013, 04:50 PM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:

I think at this point, other than Columbus, you have to look at teams lower in the standings.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:54 PM

I'm sure Pitt wouldn't mind moving Engelland. He's a free agent and not likely to be resigned so why not to go ahead and move him for some sort of value. Pitt has so many youngsters on D. Olli Maata, Robert Bortuzzo, Simon Despres, Philip Samuelsson, Brian Dumolin, Derrick Pouliot so there is really not much space for Engelland moving forward. Coop can use him in that 7th d role with an occasional shift at forward
Old 12-20-2013, 05:37 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Who would you look at pete?
It's early, so the only teams that seem truly out of it already are the Islanders, Buffalo, Calgary, and Edmonton. That's where you need to start parousing. Without looking at contracts, which is critical this year from a cap restrictions standpoint, here are the guys I would be interested in from a talent perspective:

Andrew MacDonald
Travis Hamonic

Henrik Tallinder
Tyler Myres
Jamie McBain
Christian Ehrhoff

Dennis Wideman
Ladislav Smid
Kris Russell
Mark Giordano

Nick Schultz
Andrew Ference

It all then depends on what you're looking for, what you're willing to pay, and who the other teams are actually willing to give up. If you believe you're loading up for a deep playoff run, you might want one of the older guys on this list who has actually been around the block. If you're looking for a piece for the next 3-4 years, you go younger but you'll pay a bigger bounty to get them unless, of course, you're taking a fat contract like Myres.

If I could pry Andrew MacDonald, that might be the guy. Mike Lundin-esque.