BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 12-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Yes. We're icing 5 NHL defensemen, Sustr, and dreck right now. We need 6 NHL defensemen and a little bit of depth beyond that because injuries always happen on your blueline come playoff time.
Sure, but is it necessary to deal for a blue chip prospect for help? We aren't that desperate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Remember who we were dressing when Hedman was out. The D depth is quite horrible. One more guy will help out in case injuries happen, if nothing else.
Yeah but we can solve that easier
Old 12-20-2013, 11:02 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Sure, but is it necessary to deal for a blue chip prospect for help? We aren't that desperate
You want to see what happens if we lose one of our top-5 d-men in March, when we need points to get into the postseason or, worse, a 7-game series against a team like Montreal, Detroit, or Washington?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
You want to see what happens if we lose one of our top-5 d-men in March, when we need points to get into the postseason or, worse, a 7-game series against a team like Montreal, Detroit, or Washington?
No. I also don't want to see us deal a recent top 5 pick for short term insurance. Who exactly did you have in mind as a target?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Steve Downie's Kisses

I agree with Pete on this. 2 of are top 6 d men are rookies and aulie, cote, and barberio have never played in a NHL post.season so that's a lot of inexperience. If we can get a veteran that is reasonable to acquire I'd love to see it. If we can't I'd like a young guy like a Jarred Tinordi from Montreal if we can get him for say Brett Connolly.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Crispy's Notepad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
No. I also don't want to see us deal a recent top 5 pick for short term insurance. Who exactly did you have in mind as a target?
Who says it has to be short term?
Old 12-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Crispy's Notepad

Who would you look at pete? I know that I would look at the teams that are out of it.

What are your feelings about David Savard or Jamie McBain?
Old 12-20-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
I agree with Pete on this. 2 of are top 6 d men are rookies and aulie, cote, and barberio have never played in a NHL post.season so that's a lot of inexperience. If we can get a veteran that is reasonable to acquire I'd love to see it. If we can't I'd like a young guy like a Jarred Tinordi from Montreal if we can get him for say Brett Connolly.
I'd be ok with that value wise. I agree about the lack of experience, and you can extend that to the forward corp as well. Yzerman should think about bringing on some veteran leadership on both offense and defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
Who says it has to be short term?
It doesn't have to be. Dealing for a long term top 4 defenseman complicates things though. You have to think, these young guys are going to get paid at some point, including Hedman, Bishop, and Stamkos. It really depends on the guy, and almost every top 4 D who I would be interested in at the price of Connolly, is going to command a large salary.

Pete brought up Sydor. Yeah we kept Sydor, we also lost Kubina and Khabibulin, Sarich, and Prospal. Unless you all were thinking about dealing Connolly for a bottom pairing defenseman. Uh, forget that, that would be the ultimate sell low.

Which is why I think the better option is to deal for depth instead. Notice that is different than saying that we shouldn't make any deals.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
I'm not very high on Connolly either, but I hate selling low. It's a bit of a conundrum, though, because he's almost to the point that he's gotten enough chances (or should have earned more chances) at the NHL level to impress with any consistency and has failed.
Connolly was born on 5/2/92 - he is 21.

This is JT Browns first full time gig (not even a full year) - he is 23
This is Johnson's first full year - he is 23
This is Palat's first full year - he is 22
This is Panik's first full year - he is 22

Yes he has gotten chances, but he wasn't ready to take advantage of them at the time because of his age. Because he was a high draft pick (too high in my mind) and played here when he was 18 that makes folks seem to forget that he is just 21. There was all sorts of angst when Carter Ashton was traded in 2012 when he was 21. I don't remember folks saying at the time that he had run out of chances, in fact is was the opposite - that he was still growing into becoming a power forward.

I'm not opposed to trading Connolly. But it better be for a young defense man who is is the 21 - 25 age range that has a long future ahead of him. Otherwise you need to let him play in Syracuse and develop because I don't think we know exactly what type of player Connolly will become at age 22.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:26 PM

I wonder if Hamonic is available. He'd be the perfect pick up.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Steve Downie's Kisses

I'm thinking Hamonic would cost a boat load. Like Connolly + another good youngster. His cap hit is extremely affordable and very long term.

I'd look at younger d men for Connolly. Like I mentioned Tinordi, I'd also include Jared Cowen from Ottawa, Conor Allen/Dylan McIlrath from the Rangers, Dalton Prout from Columbus. All are young D men with size that can play responsibly defensively and are physical. Tinordi, Cowen, and McIlrath were first round picks.