BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 12-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Brad Richard's Contract

Default Possible trade targets on defense

Yes that play by Hornqvist made Cote look very very slow. But I liked his passing and the out passes.

After a few games, when he can adjust to the speed of the game, we can take a harder look at him. But even as he is now he is not bad as a 7th defensemen that can allow the other 6 a little added rest.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:01 AM
BP Staff

If he gets beat like that once or twice a game, then he's really no better than Barberio or Taormina, which isn't what the point of signing him was.

I really think, if this team continues to hang where they're at in the standings, Yzerman owes it to this team to acquire them another legit NHL defenseman to load them up for a postseason run. It might cost them Connolly, but I might be OK with that.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Brad Richard's Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
If he gets beat like that once or twice a game, then he's really no better than Barberio or Taormina, which isn't what the point of signing him was.

I really think, if this team continues to hang where they're at in the standings, Yzerman owes it to this team to acquire them another legit NHL defenseman to load them up for a postseason run. It might cost them Connolly, but I might be OK with that.
Totally agree with you on this. But we have to see how he can handle the NHL first. Wasn't his last game in the NHL something like 2006?

I would have no problem seeing Connolly or several other of the youth go for a defenseman.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:32 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post

Is it really necessary though? Its the 7th D that's struggling, there will be plenty of depth guys available around the trade deadline whom would cost a lot less than Connolly.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Brad Richard's Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Is it really necessary though? Its the 7th D that's struggling, there will be plenty of depth guys available around the trade deadline whom would cost a lot less than Connolly.
I think it is more than that RSchmitz. After this season Salo's contract is up. He is 38 and will be 39. Would it not be better to find someone that can fit now and move up in the pairings? Going into next season we will have 6 defensemen under contract and one of those is Cote and another is Ohlund.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:22 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
I think it is more than that RSchmitz. After this season Salo's contract is up. He is 38 and will be 39. Would it not be better to find someone that can fit now and move up in the pairings? Going into next season we will have 6 defensemen under contract and one of those is Cote and another is Ohlund.
We have like 10 or 11 under team control for next year, not including AHL contracts that can be purchased(signed), and that is probably above the league average. Depth defenseman aren't difficult to find at a bargain late during free agency. We also have coocoo bird in the minors. Yzerman may want to send him to Norfolk next season but he could play next year, just in time to take over for Salo. Plus you have to consider the natural progression of Sustr, who I think deserves a shot at some top 4 minutes at some point, its a luxury pairing him next to Brewer though and easing him in.

Dealing Connolly, I'd want a long term solution for the top 4, and that would create a different dilemma as it would subsequently block the ice time progression of Sustr and Koekkoek. Also, you deal for that guy this season, and your pushing someone like Salo onto the bottom pairing and another guy like Sustr down to 8 minutes a night or into the pressbox.

I think the better option is find a team that is out of it, and there will be many of those this year, and go and cherry pick their bottom pairing defensive defenseman at a much more affordable price. Someone like Grant Ledyard/Nolan Pratt would be a better pick up.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:37 AM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

I'm not very high on Connolly either, but I hate selling low. It's a bit of a conundrum, though, because he's almost to the point that he's gotten enough chances (or should have earned more chances) at the NHL level to impress with any consistency and has failed. I'm not ready to compare his career to Benoit Pouliot, but BC might be headed in that trajectory. If (or when) that happens, he'll no longer fetch anything more than an equal reclamation project in trade return.

I'd prefer to rebuild his confidence one more time in the AHL and give him another chance with the big club later in the season. It could pay off ... or it could be delaying the inevitable. But make no mistake, the clock is ticking on his overall worth (either on the ice or in a trade).
Old 12-20-2013, 10:03 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Is it really necessary though?
Yes. We're icing 5 NHL defensemen, Sustr, and dreck right now. We need 6 NHL defensemen and a little bit of depth beyond that because injuries always happen on your blueline come playoff time.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Brad Richard's Contract

Who said anything about selling low.

And for our depth. What we are seeing is what we will get until someone can step it up big time. I do not see another Gudas coming in from the AHL this season.

We need someone that can come in, eat up sometime and be an asset on the ice. Nothing fancy, just do the job.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Remember who we were dressing when Hedman was out. The D depth is quite horrible. One more guy will help out in case injuries happen, if nothing else.