BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 12-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post
That was when he was experimenting with the Franz methods.
Upon benching for 19 year rookie and return to the US he went back to old methods and said by by Jean.
Why does Jean still have a job? If it's so obvious amongst us fans, why doesn't Yzerman see it too?
Old 12-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Rick Dudley's Hairpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
Why does Jean still have a job? If it's so obvious amongst us fans, why doesn't Yzerman see it too?
Maybe because it isn't exactly so obvious to the fans?
Old 12-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
Maybe because even though the Jean haters won't recognize it, Bishop has become one of the best goalies in the league during his watch and SFY isn't stupid enough to change things when they are working.

Last edited by Donnie D; 12-27-2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: A
Old 12-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Agreed. Even if I might still be skeptical, it's kinda pointless to do anything now when everything is peachy.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Agreed. Even if I might still be skeptical, it's kinda pointless to do anything now when everything is peachy.
Nail hit on head. Tending doing pretty good from my perspective in spite of Franz. He only has a 1 year contract no reason to chase him now. The proof in the pudding will be is he resigned next year!

And Pete's comment regarding the playoffs is correct. We will know a great deal more about Bishop once he get's a round of playoffs into his system. Can he win a game on his own, can he steal games in spite of poor play in front of him. Can he withstand the pressure as it mounts from game to game during the playoffs.

I do think we will get some of those answers this year it will be fun to watch.

Funny how a MAJOR weakness is starting to look like a strength for the team this year.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

From what we're seeing of Bishop so far this season I have zero concerns about his playoff ability (should we be fortunate enough to make the show, which is far from a given). If anything I see him getting even sharper by then. I keep waiting for him to crack under pressure and do the customary frantic Lightning goalie meltdown thing, but aside from a very few off nights that trend isn't happening. IMO if it were going to, we'd have seen it by now, playing as he is behind the injury carnival and the merry-go-round of AHL dmen, no 91 and too many nights of no goal support. Instead he's on the verge of playing for Team USA in the Olympics. How f*&%ing badass would that be, a Tampa Bay Lightning goalie on the world stage in the Olympics! SFY has plugged the hole. I hope to God they make the playoffs so we get to see what Ben can do when he's playing for the only thing better than Olympic gold: silver
Old 12-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
How f*&%ing badass would that be, a Tampa Bay Lightning goalie on the world stage in the Olympics!
John Grahame already achieved that feat with us.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:13 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
From what we're seeing of Bishop so far this season I have zero concerns about his playoff ability (should we be fortunate enough to make the show, which is far from a given).
Playoff hockey is a different beast for a goaltender, and Ben has 1 game of pro playoff experience in his entire career. Coming out of the NCAA ranks he never has played a 7 game playoff format before pro hockey either.

I mentioned Roman Turek because you'll recall everyone was positive Turek was a sure thing and in fact the Lightning came within an eyelash of acquiring Turek before they got Cloutier and Weekes. Turek dissolved under the pressure of the playoffs and was out of the NHL within 5 years after St. Louis acquired him from Dallas. You can't count your chickens with these guys. You have to test them out in the playoffs and see if they can win you a round or two without incident.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
John Grahame already achieved that feat with us.
Of course. And IMHO it's still something to get excited about if Bishop (a much better goalie) represents us NOW.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Playoff hockey is a different beast for a goaltender, and Ben has 1 game of pro playoff experience in his entire career. Coming out of the NCAA ranks he never has played a 7 game playoff format before pro hockey either.

I mentioned Roman Turek because you'll recall everyone was positive Turek was a sure thing and in fact the Lightning came within an eyelash of acquiring Turek before they got Cloutier and Weekes. Turek dissolved under the pressure of the playoffs and was out of the NHL within 5 years after St. Louis acquired him from Dallas. You can't count your chickens with these guys. You have to test them out in the playoffs and see if they can win you a round or two without incident.
Yup. And none of this is the least bit inconsistent with optimism about Bishop's ability to perform in playoffs when and IF the time comes. (Obviously the Bolts still have to make it there first.) As to the playoffs being a different beast for goalies, I'd go a step beyond agreeing with that obvious truth and say they're are a different beast for every player--most especially goalies, who face the intensely focused pressure of playoff pitchers and QBs.

What may be less obvious is that optimism about Bishop holding up under playoff pressure is a different beast from overconfidence, coronation, sure things and chicken counting. It's definitely wise to reserve judgment on anything related to Lightning and playoffs--even Stamkos isn't a sure thing in playoffs. Still, (staying with the 'obvious' theme) every goalie who ever did succeed in the postseason was an unknown quantity in his first series; in that regard testing Bishop out with a round or two will happen automatically...if the Bolts make the show