BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 12-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Maybe I'm missing something, but...to me Bishop plays a solid, economical, sound positional, get-down-and-stay-down butterfly, and goes post-to-post as well as anyone...and despite excellent TECHNICAL skills with the stick (ability to make the puck do a certain thing when he wants) still makes me cringe when he starts handling the puck too much, gets caught way out of his net, appears wholly uncertain WHAT HE WANTS to do with the puck till the last nanosecond, and then it's often enough too late to make the correct choice. His issue regarding puckhandling appears to be judgment; when he knows in advance he wants a breakout pass to hit a certain guy at a certain moment, man, he's tape-to-tape. From all this it's hard to see what the relationship to Franz Jean's coaching is. Lindback, on the other hand, appears more calm than he used to be, less jittery, less uncertain of which unexpected athletic move he wants to try at a given moment. Our first legit #1 was successful by mostly playing the averages and remaining calm, staying big and not getting too crazy in there. I'll take a technically sound robot over a wildly athletic Hasek wannabe any day

Last edited by Top Shelf; 12-23-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:04 AM
BP Staff

My thought is Frantz Jean probably isn't the inflexible, Napoleonic figure he's been cast as and that the weaknesses in Bishop's game are still there but are being partly masked by the successful implementation of Cooper's system.

I've always thought, since we first got him, Bishop is a lot like Marty Brodeur in that they share the same weaknesses: odd man rushes and longer shots. If you implement a system like Cooper has that eliminates the odd man rushes and blocks a lot of the longer shots, now you force teams to defeat Bishop's strength, which is that he's extremely good down low because of his size and positioning. Brodeur's the same way. He's always been frustratingly excellent in tight.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:52 AM

...the noticeable difference being that Bishop has superior rebound control and seems to velcro those tight shots into himself, while Brodeur is a fat juicy rebound-o-rama party--thankfully, or there'd be almost no other way to beat him. The Devils' saving grace has been having the D to defend against or clear the rebound chances
Old 12-23-2013, 11:52 AM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
My thought is Frantz Jean probably isn't the inflexible, Napoleonic figure he's been cast as and that the weaknesses in Bishop's game are still there but are being partly masked by the successful implementation of Cooper's system.

I've always thought, since we first got him, Bishop is a lot like Marty Brodeur in that they share the same weaknesses: odd man rushes and longer shots. If you implement a system like Cooper has that eliminates the odd man rushes and blocks a lot of the longer shots, now you force teams to defeat Bishop's strength, which is that he's extremely good down low because of his size and positioning. Brodeur's the same way. He's always been frustratingly excellent in tight.
I'm hoping that Jean is flexable and has studied Bishop to learn his strong points and bad points and has the sense to let him know when his mechanics are off.

I happen to like his stick handling of the puck as it keeps the fore checkers honest and does not allow them to get deep. It makes the opponent wonder "what will he do".
Old 12-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

The system definitely helps a lot but it sure felt like Bishop stepped right in here, played amazing, then strayed from the formula a bit down the stretch and throughout the world championships only to switch back to a more quiet composed form this season again. Lindback is starting to look a lot better now that he seems to be emulating Bishop. Just my take.. Hopefully that's Jean working with the goalies and not just them ignoring him.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:02 PM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
The system definitely helps a lot but it sure felt like Bishop stepped right in here, played amazing, then strayed from the formula a bit down the stretch and throughout the world championships only to switch back to a more quiet composed form this season again. Lindback is starting to look a lot better now that he seems to be emulating Bishop. Just my take.. Hopefully that's Jean working with the goalies and not just them ignoring him.
I would hope that if the goalies went rouge SY would had let Jean go or would had never resigned him.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Old-Skool Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
I'm hoping that Jean is flexable and has studied Bishop to learn his strong points and bad points and has the sense to let him know when his mechanics are off.

I happen to like his stick handling of the puck as it keeps the fore checkers honest and does not allow them to get deep. It makes the opponent wonder "what will he do".
Agree. Although I haven't seen every minute of every game, I think I can recall only one instance where he and the D were out of sync. In most cases, he makes the proper move, either to avoid trouble or to assist the breakout. That definitely makes the oncoming forwards think twice.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:35 PM
BP Staff

Bishops plus ability to handle the puck is another similarity to Brodeur, IMO.

Until he takes the team to a playoff series and wins a round (because you don't want a guy going Roman Turek on you), you can't really annoint Bishop as THE SOLUTION, but he's well on his way to letting us draw that conclusion.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
It [Bishop's stickhandling] makes the opponent wonder "what will he do".
When they wonder that right along with Ben himself, that's my main concern
Old 12-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
...the noticeable difference being that Bishop has superior rebound control and seems to velcro those tight shots into himself, while Brodeur is a fat juicy rebound-o-rama party--thankfully, or there'd be almost no other way to beat him. The Devils' saving grace has been having the D to defend against or clear the rebound chances
The bolts are giving up +30 shots a night the devils give up a league low of 24 shots a game that does make a difference. Hell when we play them we are lucky to put up +20 shots on net.

Bishop handles the puck like a 7th 'd' and he is pretty calm with the puck which is a huge advantage for the team.