BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 12-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

I've always been in support of some sort of "circle of honor," where maybe the Lightning can induct one or two people every year, to recognize what they've done for the franchise. Put Andreychuk in there immediately.

Number retirement, though, has to be reserved for the best-of-the-best -- the players with the largest long-term contributions to the on-ice product. #26 will be the first to qualify, and I wouldn't even think about it for Andreychuk, as much as I appreciate him and his work in 03-04.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:07 PM

I would argue that without #25, there would have been no Stanley Cup. That is reason enough for me to accept retiring the number.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:18 PM
The Constrictor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
I would argue that without #25, there would have been no Stanley Cup. That is reason enough for me to accept retiring the number.
IMO there were several others that you'd have to say the same about. Khabibulin and Richey being chief among them. Winning a championship can only be one piece of the puzzle because too many would qualify otherwise.

I am all for honoring the Andy's and Habi's but retiring their number? IMO, it would dilute the honor that we will bestow on St. Louis.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:19 PM
BP Staff

I think the Ring of Honor idea is a good one. It allows the Lightning to recognize guys like Modin, Prospal, Kubina, Cullimore, etc who don't quite rise to the level of having their numbers retired but need to be called out in some way.

#4 and #26 are probably the only ones that should be retired, to be honest.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

#4 will likely be the only guy in NHL history having their number retired by a team and still drawing a player contract salary from the team.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:19 AM
Alex Kharitonov's Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
#4 will likely be the only guy in NHL history having their number retired by a team and still drawing a player contract salary from the team.
Haha. I laughed a little at this but it's true regardless. I don't want to see another Lightning player run around with either #4 or #26.

Ohhh mannn... The day they raise #26 into the rafters...
Old 12-21-2013, 08:07 AM

Hey, I said it was just me. Then again in this room someone could say the sky is blue and start a firestorm of controversy, but that's not important. (The sky isn't ALWAYS blue! Ever seen a rainy day or looked outside at midnight, dimwit??!?!?)

I've already made the case for retiring #25 on more than one occasion, usually to a wide margin of agreement--guess the passage of time can have the same effect on sentiment as it does on exposed cast iron. It remains true that basically all the man did was take over the the team when it was slogging through an unprecedented FOUR 50-loss seasons in a row, and by the sheer heaving effort of his will transform the players' belief in themselves to the point where together they were able to overcome all odds plus the collective heartfelt wishes of all North America, and emerge champions. A Hall of Famer with more PP goals than anyone in history, without him we absolutely do not have a Cup. The hockey world could use a little reminder when seeing our Cup banner that a player of this caliber wearing the bolt was in no small way responsible. His leadership ability to instill the belief in 20 people that the impossible was within reach didn't exist in Nikolai Khabibulin, who nearly played his way onto the bench leading up to the Cup run of 2004. And does it need to be mentioned that playing a single season with the elite, already-talent-packed Avalanche didn't disqualify Ray Bourque from having his number retired in COL? Dave was with us for four times that, and came here when we sucked worse than a 12-hour Honey Boo-Boo marathon. With all due respect to the contrary view of the current majority, IMHO nothing has taken place to change the fact that 3 GMs (so far) have dropped the ball by failing to pluck this obvious low-hanging PR fruit and do the right thing by honoring Capt. Dave. For years they never gave anyone else his number, and it'd be cool if that would continue permanently.
That sheep outnumber people in Australia is especially true today: Two more people have lost their lives to the official Guns for Criminals Only program--everyone in the cafe baaing obediently to the bad guy--except the defenseless owner, who died trying to defeat him. One good guy packing heat ends it in seconds, yet Australia today after a daylong nightmare is grappling with five very simple yet inexplicably difficult words (for them) to understand:

Criminals vastly prefer unarmed prey.

Last edited by Top Shelf; 12-21-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
I've already made the case for retiring #25 on more than one occasion, usually to a wide margin of agreement--guess the passage of time can have the same effect on sentiment as it does on exposed cast iron. It remains true that basically all the man did was take over the the team when it was slogging through an unprecedented FOUR 50-loss seasons in a row, and by the sheer heaving effort of his will transform the players' belief in themselves to the point where together they were able to overcome all odds plus the collective heartfelt wishes of all North America, and emerge champions. A Hall of Famer with more PP goals than anyone in history, without him we absolutely do not have a Cup. The hockey world could use a little reminder when seeing our Cup banner that a player of this caliber wearing the bolt was in no small way responsible. His leadership ability to instill the belief in 20 people that the impossible was within reach didn't exist in Nikolai Khabibulin, who nearly played his way onto the bench leading up to the Cup run of 2004.
This.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:08 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I think the Ring of Honor idea is a good one. It allows the Lightning to recognize guys like Modin, Prospal, Kubina, Cullimore, etc who don't quite rise to the level of having their numbers retired but need to be called out in some way.

#4 and #26 are probably the only ones that should be retired, to be honest.
They have that on the 3rd level.

Last edited by Donnie D; 12-21-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...kubina/2158166

I had completely forgotten about the Scott Stevens thing.