BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 12-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfgreg View Post
Can't say he was among my favorites of all time but nothing but respect for what he gave this organization. I was down on him at times but you can't say he didn't give it all for us. This guy laid down in front of more shots than anyone I can recollect.
This.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Old-Skool Assassin

Kuby and Andy were affected the most by the post-lockout landscape in 06 when the game got faster. Definitely a classy guy. We've really been fortunate to have that many class acts play for us.

I was not one of his biggest supporters on his second go-round, but that had more to do with Jeff Skinner routinely turning him inside out than any complaints about his character or lack of desire. He blocked shots like nobody's business.

Cheers, Kuby. Thanks for all you did for the Bolts.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Brad Richard's Contract

thanks for all kuby
Old 12-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Tremendous career. And a pleasure watching him grow up throughout it. Great guy.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

He was one of those few bright spots to point at in the lean times.. You could say hey look, there's a prospect that actually developed! It fun to watch him become such a key player for us. Glad he was here for the ride. Definitely took way too much crap from the peanut gallery.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutznboltz View Post
Maybe Vinik can sign him to a 1 day contract and have him skate for one last shift?
...And afterwards retire the #13. Plus, have Andreychuk there for the ceremony...and in a surprise move have Carle skate out, take the jersey off and hand it to Andy as the #25 rises to the rafters with 13, alongside the Cup banner...sending the crowd into a swooning delirium.

I think that'd be cool. But probably that's just me
Old 12-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Retiring #13... hmmm. I'm on the fence on that one.

#25 however, raise it to the rafters.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Puppa Scoopah

Default cannot see retiring #13

I am not peanut gallery, but I cringed at Kubina more than I appreciated his play. Great community guy and sounds like he is gonna be even more so in the days of retirement. NOT a fan of the player, but am a fan of the man. He did get better as he spent time on ice and he was rock solid predictable as to what he brought which was first a real teammate. That I will always appreciate, but I cringe at the thought of him trying to skate a puck out of his own end. Nice man who was solid in more ways than one and earned his respect the hard way because he had to work his butt off to overcome his lack of speed and he did.

I have a commemorative Kubina Stanley Cup coin that I am going to have to go hunt up and send to Sotnos for her work making this a great board. I could not believe they handed me that coin back in 04, was not the coin that I would have wanted and I have no interest in keeping it along with my other Cup keepsakes. I was at Game 1 and Game 7, so somewhere they handed me that coin and I went OS. Anybody on that team will always be loved and so be it with me an Pavel who eventually got me to at least say he was a worthy NHL dman. I fully agree the speed of the game in 06 and beyond made Pavel a limited use commodity, but I thought that most of his career. Congrats on making a long career to Kubina and overcoming all us doubters. You win dude.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Cooper's Law

I think you have to have a very high standard when it comes to retiring numbers. Journeymen players like Kubina don't make that grade. IMO they have to be a strong HOFer that is instantly identifiable with the team. As much as I appreciate Andy, he may not ever make the HOF and was a Bolt for only a few years out of his career. I would not retire his number.

So far #26 is the only number that I would retire because I think he is a HOFer that is instantly recognized as a Bolt. #4 meets the requirement of being identifiable with the team because unless he plays for another 8 years with Philly, he will always be seen as a Tampa Bay Lightning player. But I'm not sure #4 is an elite HOF player.

Last edited by Donnie D; 12-20-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Barnacles Shout Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
I think you have to have a very high standard when it comes to retiring numbers. Journeymen players like Kubina don't make that grade. IMO they have to be a strong HOFer that is instantly identifiable with the team. As much as I appreciate Andy, he may not ever make the HOF and was a Bolt for only a few years out of his career. I would not retire his number.

So far #26 is the only number that I would retire because I think he is a HOFer that is instantly recognized as a Bolt. #4 meets the requirement of being identifiable with the team because unless he plays for another 8 years with Philly, he will always be seen as a Tampa Bay Lightning player. But I'm not sure #4 is an elite HOF player.
I agree Donnie. Selectivity is important in such honors or it waters down for the truly deserving. I like Andy but I don't think he should have his number raised in TB. How can you raise his and not Richie's when he won the Conn Smythe. IMO St. Louis should be the first guy with a number up there. I think VL4 is borderline but no one else is close. Of the current group I think Stammer and Heddy have a chance in the future but that is a long way and many playoff wins away yet. It's just like the Hall of Fame it should not be watered down to the Hall of "really good".

I know we live in the "everyone gets a trophy for showing up age" but please don't confuse your favorites for those truly deserving. They are very different ideals.