BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 12-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Default Former Bolt Kubina retires

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=696908

Don't believe he was playing anywhere this year. Always a favorite of mine, I wish him a happy retirement.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Keep his phone number SY...playoff run...shot-blocking machine...just sayin'
For Democrats every day is opposite day. Getting destroyed in an election means the other side better wise up...record cold is evidence of too much heat...those who use guns to break the law will suddenly obey a law banning guns. And more law enforcement makes a community less safe.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Thanks for all the Kubinas, Pavel.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

The Trib published a nice letter from him (the link to it on the official site doesn't seem to be working) http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...-among/2157930

Quote:
Finally, I would like to thank the great Tampa Bay Lightning fans. Although I did not have the opportunity to play my final game in front of the same fans that I played my first game, which I desperately wanted to do, rest assured my heart, my skates, my No. 13 jersey and my home will always be here among you in Tampa Bay. Your cheers and your support throughout my career gave me fond memories that I will cherish for a lifetime.Finally, I would like to say Jeff Vinik is one of the best owners I have ever played for and Tampa Bay is very lucky to have him.
I know we're not supposed to get attached, but I can't help it where Kubina is concerned. I don't know if people have short memories or what, but I haven't seen anyone yet acknowledge that Tampa fans gave him a LOT of crap. The "hit somebody" crowd hated this guy in the early 00s, made signs with his name & toilets on them saying "flush Kubina" etc. I remember the announcement of him as a scratch being CHEERED at a game when he was out with a fricken' concussion. It got so bad that Vinny said something to the press about it. Kuby handled all of that with extreme class and after we won the Cup skated around acknowledging the fans in the stands.

He bleeds blue, silver & black (old skool), and he's an all-time favorite of mine.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Brett Connolly's Gum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
The Trib published a nice letter from him (the link to it on the official site doesn't seem to be working) http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...-among/2157930

I know we're not supposed to get attached, but I can't help it where Kubina is concerned. I don't know if people have short memories or what, but I haven't seen anyone yet acknowledge that Tampa fans gave him a LOT of crap. The "hit somebody" crowd hated this guy in the early 00s, made signs with his name & toilets on them saying "flush Kubina" etc. I remember the announcement of him as a scratch being CHEERED at a game when he was out with a fricken' concussion. It got so bad that Vinny said something to the press about it. Kuby handled all of that with extreme class and after we won the Cup skated around acknowledging the fans in the stands.

He bleeds blue, silver & black (old skool), and he's an all-time favorite of mine.
So right you are. One of my all time favorites.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Maybe Vinik can sign him to a 1 day contract and have him skate for one last shift?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

My favorite Bolt of all time. Thanks for the memories Kubby
Old 12-20-2013, 01:38 PM
XO Sniper

Can't say he was among my favorites of all time but nothing but respect for what he gave this organization. I was down on him at times but you can't say he didn't give it all for us. This guy laid down in front of more shots than anyone I can recollect.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Thanks for the memories Kubie.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Send a message via AIM to njbolt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post

I never knew he was that much of a whipping boy then (the early 00s was when I really started to follow the team). Based on his actions sounds like he's cut from the same cloth as the other lazy, nonphysical floater who left for oranger pastures.

One of my favorites as well, on ice warts and all. We don't win the Cup without him and all those... Kubinas, and Kubina's punking of Jagr against the Craps in 2003 was epic as well. Oh, and "Kuby fly plane!"

It's a shame, I still sometimes think a healthy Kubina could have pushed us past the Broons in 2011... that is, assuming Colin Campbell didn't enact protocol "Fuck Tampa: Even More".

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutznboltz View Post
Maybe Vinik can sign him to a 1 day contract and have him skate for one last shift?
Would be cool to sign him for a day so he can retire a Bolt (not so much skate, although he may do that better than Aulie still), but I think you can only do that in the offseason. Methinks he was hoping for one more contract.