BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Default Mock

Read another mock that had us taking Jared McCann with our first, doubt we take a center that early when we need D more, but they had McKeown falling out of the first round.
By the way thanks for the info on Irving Derek.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:28 PM
John Tortorella's Binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapbolt View Post
Read another mock that had us taking Jared McCann with our first, doubt we take a center that early when we need D more, but they had McKeown falling out of the first round.
By the way thanks for the info on Irving Derek.
One thing we've learned is that SY and Al Murray select the best player available, on their board not on Red Line Report's board or Bob McKenzie's or any other.

Last year we needed D too but they took 5 forwards and a Goalie. The way he runs his organization means that even 1st rounders will most likely not be with the big club for years. Drouin is the exception and they still sent him down. The surest way to make sure your club is mediocre for a long time is to pick based on need and then rush the player. He is trying to and succeeding at building a depth of higher end talent. At some point he will use this talent to obtain the other pieces he needs. In this case a top 4 dman. The best example is the move of Conacher for Bishop.

I'd love for them to get McKeown but if they had some other guy in their top 10 and he fell to them I'd expect him to take that player every time.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:18 PM

Default Huh

Barlow, I really do not think I need you to tell me that SFY will take BPA based on their scouting reports. My sole purpose was show a different viewpoint from what most have reported and thus create some discussion. My doubt centers around whether this particular center is BPA and/or whether he is or is not a better pick than McKeown.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Cooper's Law

One of the NHL mocks had us taking Virtanen. I would be ok with that pick. Big forward with some size and his scouting reports tell me he's not afraid to get dirty.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpace View Post
One of the NHL mocks had us taking Virtanen. I would be ok with that pick. Big forward with some size and his scouting reports tell me he's not afraid to get dirty.
Virtanen is an Yzerman type of player. Him falling to us is unlikely though, but there are always surprises in the draft so who knows.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Virtanen is an Yzerman type of player. Him falling to us is unlikely though, but there are always surprises in the draft so who knows.
Ivan Barbeshev. Lots of mock drafts have him going in the 16 to 19 range. You know that Yzerman/Murray have to have their eye on him after dipping in the Russian pool so many times, and here's a big-ish playmaking LW'er who can pass or shoot, and can also play effectively in a checking role (as evidenced by his role in WJCs last December). He's already played two seasons for Moncton in the Q, so he's already in NA and getting acclimated.

#getalltherussians
Old 05-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Ivan Barbeshev. Lots of mock drafts have him going in the 16 to 19 range. You know that Yzerman/Murray have to have their eye on him after dipping in the Russian pool so many times, and here's a big-ish playmaking LW'er who can pass or shoot, and can also play effectively in a checking role (as evidenced by his role in WJCs last December). He's already played two seasons for Moncton in the Q, so he's already in NA and getting acclimated.

#getalltherussians
Interesting, I think Nikita Scherbak is the Russian that Yzerman is targeting, for all the reasons you just mentioned. He'll have to dip into the WHL to get him. Mynhldraft has Barbeshev #20 and Scherbak #21. Both players are similar(based on reports I've read), with Scherback being bigger and grittier and Barbeshev having better vision and defensive acumen.

Both supposedly have work ethic issues, will be interesting to see what Yzerman does if both are on the board at #18. I think we all just want to fill out the ???-Namestnikov-Kucherov line with another Russian
Old 05-06-2014, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

The thing I liked about Barbeshev is that he showed at the WJCs last December that he can be an effective player in a non-Top 6 role, which is usually a good indicator that the player has the versatility and defensively responsible enough to earn some role in the NHL.

Scherbak is an interesting as well, but he doesn't have any international tourney experience so it makes me wonder if he's at the same skill/development level that Barbeshev is.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:01 AM
The Constrictor

Mynhldraft.com shows our pick as #18 as of yesterday..so I guess getting bumped in the 1st round of the playoffs moved our pick up? 18 is a bit high for Scherbak, but a perfect spot for Barbashev. Barbashev also adds a bit of "jam" that Cooper mentioned wanting in his line-up in the near future.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:03 AM

Default Early

I realize this is a bit early, but if the Bolts have another draft doings would it be possible to have a BoltProspects table or two? I think that would be a lot of fun and give us the opportunity to have some great conversation at the same time.
Closed Thread