BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 12-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice
Default Frozen Four Coming Back to Tampa (2016)

Woot!

Quote:
Frozen Four tabs Boston, Tampa Bay, Chicago and Minnesota
By: Ryan Kennedy on December 11, 2013

The NCAA released its list of the next four hosts for the Frozen Four national championship tournaments and really, they went with no-brainers. Thankfully, the chosen cities are good spots for a variety of reasons and stretch out nicely in terms of geography.

Boston will host in 2015; Tampa in 2016; Chicago in 2017 and Minnesota (St. Paul) in 2018. This year’s tournament will be in Philadelphia, which also put in a new bid, as did last year’s hosts from Pittsburgh. Other unsuccessful suitors include Buffalo, Brooklyn, Columbus and Washington.
Further, (and unexpected love from The Hockey News)

Quote:
Tampa may be the strangest winner on the list to outsiders, but as a recent host in 2012, the home of the NHL’s Lightning has been lauded ever since for putting on a great show. The Tampa Bay Times Forum is loved as an arena, the fans can sit poolside when they’re not at games and the sport itself is growing in the state. There may not be a college hockey team eligible to play in the tournament, but the annual Florida College Classic in Estero (two hours away) attracts big schools such as Cornell and New Hampshire. Florida native Brian Ferlin, a Boston Bruins prospect with Cornell, told me that he’s seen the grassroots tournaments affiliated with the FCC grow quite a bit recently. So there’s an upshot for hockey itself by keeping Florida on the NCAA map.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/fr...and-minnesota/
Old 12-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

Sweet!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2013, 03:42 PM
BP Staff

One of the mid-sized colleges like USF should put together a Div. I men's and women's program a la Alabama-Huntsville.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
One of the mid-sized colleges like USF should put together a Div. I men's and women's program a la Alabama-Huntsville.
Where would they play at?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:15 PM
BP Staff

It would involve USF investing in renovating the Sun Dome a little more to accommodate hockey, certainly.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Steve Downie's Kisses

The idea of any Florida college putting together a hockey team would be way too expensive and not worth it in my opinion. You have to figure if we take USF for example, the travel cost to travel to games that are all in the northern part of the country would be way too much to make a financial gain from the program. Plus there are fewer then 50 high school hockey programs in Florida so the scouting would have to happen predominantly in the northern high school programs and I doubt many kids will want to come all the way down to USF just to play for a hockey program when there are many better and more prestigious hockey programs closer to home.

With all that said it's probably not as "out there" as it sounds for a school to just give it a shot for a few seasons but it seems like a long shot to have any real prolonged success.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Send a message via AIM to njbolt12

Very cool!
Old 12-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Swedish Battle Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
The idea of any Florida college putting together a hockey team would be way too expensive and not worth it in my opinion. You have to figure if we take USF for example, the travel cost to travel to games that are all in the northern part of the country would be way too much to make a financial gain from the program. Plus there are fewer then 50 high school hockey programs in Florida so the scouting would have to happen predominantly in the northern high school programs and I doubt many kids will want to come all the way down to USF just to play for a hockey program when there are many better and more prestigious hockey programs closer to home.

With all that said it's probably not as "out there" as it sounds for a school to just give it a shot for a few seasons but it seems like a long shot to have any real prolonged success.
However, as Pete mentioned, Ala-Huntsville has been very successful The fact that its extreme northern Alabama should not detract from the fact that this area is still "Deep South". Florida pee-wees, bantams and midgets travel to Michigan, Canada, and lots of "up north" places and take home gold and silvers.. It'd be exciting and very interesting to see a Florida university playing D1-2 or 3..
Old 12-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Steve Downie's Kisses

I agree it would be interesting but I still question how successful it could be in this new age of hockey where it's arguably the most competitive we've ever seen.

Take Alabama-Huntsville for example since 2007 there overall record is:
32-134-16 and this season they are 1-15-0. I think a lot of that is them not being able to get premium talent due to their location and a college in Florida would be no different in my opinion. I'd still like to see a school try it but it'd be a tough sell for a university to want to pay for an unsuccessful team.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
I agree it would be interesting but I still question how successful it could be in this new age of hockey where it's arguably the most competitive we've ever seen.

Take Alabama-Huntsville for example since 2007 there overall record is:
32-134-16 and this season they are 1-15-0. I think a lot of that is them not being able to get premium talent due to their location and a college in Florida would be no different in my opinion. I'd still like to see a school try it but it'd be a tough sell for a university to want to pay for an unsuccessful team.
If a school in Florida put a hockey program together and actually backed it strongly then it would immediately be more attractive to Northern players then Alabama because people would much rather come to Florida than Alabama.