BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Johnny Shortside

I agree. Personally I think we should look at Zack Kassian from Vancouver. He's been relegated to a 4th line role there but he is a former first round pick plus he is only 22 and could add some much needed size to our forward group and still be part of the core moving forward.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
I don't want to lose sight that the team is performing better than I expected at this juncture - especially given the injuries. This team isn't going to make a single youth for experience move that is going to bring them a cup. Keeping and working with the kids may someday.

So I am not in favor of making a trade for a vet unless it is someone who is also young that fills a longer term need - i.e. a younger defenseman or someone with a bit more toughness - similar to what we did with Connacher last year.

Let the kids continue to develop at their own pace. SFY and Cooper can evaluate which of these kids are in the long term future of the Lightning and moke moves accordingly from a position of strength.
Yep. Give these kids a year or two NHL experience and look out.

This isn't the team with a formula to go deep in the playoffs. They're dressing 6 or more rookies a night, as you all know - can't expect a ton this season. Let the kids grow.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
So Flip has gone from this dynamic 2 way player that was the steal of free agency to the shit house in 2 weeks? Really?

Perhaps a better answer is that he is a solid #2 center that is now being asked to be a #1. And not just a number 1, but a replacement for the best scorer in the league.

The disappointment goes way beyond any one player last night. Win or lose, there was an effort displayed that was missing last night. I can understand and accept rookie mistakes - those are part of the learning curve. I can accept being the inferior team in terms of talent - that too is part of this process. Last night was a team that looked like it was playing a man short all night. The effort was missing.

Cooper was right on target when he said that he has been proud of the team regardless of the results. Last night he wasn't proud of the team.

I haven't looked it up so you can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that last night half the forwards, one third of the defense and both goalies had played fewer than a season. That's a recipe that isn't going to be consistently successful in this league.

I hope that's not at me, because you missed my point then. My point was not to rail on Filpula or Marty. My point was that Purcell has been on pace with them, so freaking out on just him is a bit ridiculous. If you want to say none of our money players are picking up the slack, guess you could, but I wouldn't. The team has dropped after the initial energy from trying to make up for not having Stamkos. It was going to happen. The Caps don't lose Ovechkin and continue killing teams. I think Detroit could have some problems with losing Zetterberg, and that is just a few weeks. Now I want to see what Filpula does throughout the rest of the season, but so far, pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
I agree that the inexperience of the team is not helping right now after all Brown, Johnson, Kucherov, Labrie, Palat, Killorn, Panik, Barberio, Gudas, and Sustr all have less then 70 games of NHL experience so that's 10 of our active 20 skaters. Maybe the time for Yzerman to make a deal would be sooner than later.

Also glad I found this forum, there seems to be plenty of knowledgeable Bolt fans on here
Agree. Personally I will continue to trumpet our d is hurting us as much as the offense. You lose your far and away top scorer, I think you need to hunker down and play solid in your own zone, because you can't expect to continue scoring at the same pace, and I still feel our defense is terrible at this. That said, I also don't think you can understate losing our (in my opinion) hands down best defensive defenseman in Gudas.

Also, welcome to the boards. There definitely are, and you get some killer insight on some of our up and comers as well.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:39 PM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

I really do not think you can point fingers at the vets on this team. I really believe that the youth has hit a wall after 1/3 of the season. They are not used to this level of play. They are tired not only physically but also mentally and it shows. This is good news because now they know what they have to do in order to be in top shape for the NHL.

Let's hope the Olympic break can allow enough time for some to recharge their batteries and a final run at the end.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:53 PM
John Tortorella's Doghouse

Quote:
so freaking out on just him is a bit ridiculous.
A bit over stated? What was the line on 16 last night? who knows, maybe he's playing injured.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:59 PM
John Tortorella's Doghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
I really do not think you can point fingers at the vets on this team. I really believe that the youth has hit a wall after 1/3 of the season. They are not used to this level of play. They are tired not only physically but also mentally and it shows. This is good news because now they know what they have to do in order to be in top shape for the NHL.

Let's hope the Olympic break can allow enough time for some to recharge their batteries and a final run at the end.
I don't think so.... The vets need to lead. This team plays well at home- they need to figure out how to do it on the road.One thing I always liked about MSL- when he is under-performing, he'll be the first one to say so- I see this team, with the way Bish is playing, as perfectly capable of playing meaningful games in May. Especially if they get Stammer back by March or there bouts.- If Coop can solve the crappy play on the road puzzle- this squad can be real good....