BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 11-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Default Steven Stamkos Injury

This is probably going to be long term, so it's worth a thread.

Steven Stamkos injured his right leg in a collision with the Lightning net, after losing his footing in a battle for position with Dougie Hamilton.

If Stamkos isn't one of the hardest-working backcheckers in the NHL, that never happens. He got hurt because he plays the game the right way -- very unfortunate.

As of this writing, he's been taken to the hospital for X-rays, and was reportedly telling those attending to him on the ice that something was broken.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Send a message via AIM to njbolt12

Freak injury. Thought it was tib/fib but after Tim pointed out how his right ankle went in a direction it's not supposed to in a slow-mo replay, I bet it's his ankle. Hopefully we'll find out soon and it's not really really bad.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbolt12 View Post
Freak injury. Thought it was tib/fib but after Tim pointed out how his right ankle went in a direction it's not supposed to in a slow-mo replay, I bet it's his ankle. Hopefully we'll find out soon and it's not really really bad.
Whats scary is that could still be broken leg. *GRAPHIC* I played tennis with a guy who we thought broke his ankle. Basically his foot was pointed backwards. Screamed the same as Stamkos. Turns out he tore ankle tendons, but really happened (again, graphic if you don't want to read), is as the tendons tore, the ball in his ankle rotated and went up his leg, breaking both bones in the leg, not actually breaking the ankle. His end result was screws, plates, no activity for a year +, and not being able to pick up a racquet and do planting for nearly 2 years. I REALLY hope Stamkos did not do something similar.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Aaron Ward of TSN is reporting it's a broken tibia.

This is going to be months, not weeks.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Default Tibia

Bleacher report is reporting thatvStammer has a broken Tibia and will require surgery. Any prognosis ?
Old 11-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Pray that its bone and not muscle that got damaged. The fact that it was blunt damage and not sharp damage makes me hopeful. Any doctors in the house?
Old 11-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Default Reading

I went to a couple of medical sites to do some research and it looks like he may have to stay off the leg for 3 months before he can put any weight on the leg. They may put plates and screws in so that it will heal better, but will have to wait and see. Either way it could be 6 months before he can skate and workout.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapbolt View Post
Bleacher report is reporting thatvStammer has a broken Tibia and will require surgery. Any prognosis ?
Typically 4-6 months if it requires surgery. Depends on where the break happened, if it broke in multiple spots, etc. near worse case scenario for a break
Old 11-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

I haven't been this concerned since the freak hockey skate fall to Dan Boyle's wrist incident. A bad day in Lightning history to be sure.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Phil Esposito's Soninlawov

http://twitpic.com/dkwvmt/full

Unfortunately this is a good view of Stammer. The left foot/ankle glances on the net but otherwise based on this view should be fine. However, the right tibia (shin) slams directly into the bar. You can even see the impact on the entire shin area before the net gives way. I won't lie, this is hard to watch.

Get well soon Stammer