BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 10-17-2013, 10:24 AM
BP Staff

Evidently BC skated on the Stamkos line this am. I could also understand Cooper not to mess with the chemistry of the Purcell line, too. Just not sure I want BC playing huge minutes out of the gate.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 AM
BP Staff

I would imagine there's an open competition right now with Connolly up. No more stupid penalties, Panik.

PS... Please don't use Bleacher Report as a source.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Yeah Panik should be the one most on notice right now. He can't just be living off past chemistry with fellow Crunch players.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Cooper's Law

I guess Panik would be the one on notice, he's statistically our worse forward but he has had some bad breaks that kept him from getting at least two goals. He has take some stupid penalties though.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Enrico Ciccone's Blimpie Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Yeah Panik should be the one most on notice right now. He can't just be living off past chemistry with fellow Crunch players.
This should light a fire under him for sure. I dont know if it was me or if out team was just that bad last year; but I thought Panik looked much better last year than he has in any of these games. Just looks like he is coasting a bit; other than that pass to Killorn.

I really want to see Connolly stay down here, hope he puts on a show and makes the decision that much tougher.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:48 PM
The Constrictor

Send a message via AIM to Kowalski

Panik should have 2-3 more points minimum at this point, even if he hasn't been playing that well. That should tell you that there's so much more there if not for bad luck. I think he's the type of guy who gets more and more excited as he hits the score sheet. I think he's a little frustrated with the bad luck at this point and I would expect him to have a big few games.

I'm guessing Connolly and Purcell are going to rotate minutes on the top line with Connolly eventually settling in to the third line with TJ and Palat by the end of the game.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:18 PM
BP Staff

I honestly don't think Panik's on the hot seat. Not really. Look at average IT:

Panik: 15:21
Johnson: 14:34
Palat: 12:03

I think the Lightning feel Panik's the long-term keeper of the three. The other two eventually (1-2 years down the road) are either trade bait or will be pushed down to 4th line, IMO.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Panik and Connolly are both extremely important to our future. They have the size that so many of our other forward prospects lack.

We all talk about the future without Ryan Malone, but the reality is that we have no one else like him in the pipeline. A 6-foot-4, 225-pound power forward with attitude and willingness to stand up for his teammates.

When projecting our near-future, the lack of size is one thing but that nasty attitude is a whole other missing piece, and I haven't seen anything in even Panik or BC's personalities to suggest it might develop. I don't think we'll lack for heart as a team, but perhaps we'll always need to look to free agency to find a big, two-way forward with some jam.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Brian Bradley's Pimp Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I honestly don't think Panik's on the hot seat. Not really. Look at average IT:

Panik: 15:21
Johnson: 14:34
Palat: 12:03

I think the Lightning feel Panik's the long-term keeper of the three. The other two eventually (1-2 years down the road) are either trade bait or will be pushed down to 4th line, IMO.
I would tend to agree. With 3 of the 4 line centers signed up for the long-term (Stammer/Filp/Thompson) and Namestnikov awaiting his turn - Johnson could prove to be expendable in a trade situation and his contract is up as Restricted Free Agent this offseason. Another Conacher-like situation.

I would like to see Panik moved to 4th line and Connolly given a shot at the second line. If I had an energized Panik...I would bring also JT Brown to play along Thompson and Panik on that 4th line.

Cooper has taken the route of toughness instead of skill/ability - I don't necessarily disagree with the choice but it does highlight our lack of players that display both fighting and physical toughness and ability/skill. Therefore we are forced to play a guy like Nacho (who I am fan of) who is lacking on the skill side and displays the grit/toughness Cooper is looking to blend in.

Last edited by Werewolf; 10-17-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Brian Bradley's Pimp Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
We all talk about the future without Ryan Malone, but the reality is that we have no one else like him in the pipeline. A 6-foot-4, 225-pound power forward with attitude and willingness to stand up for his teammates.

When projecting our near-future, the lack of size is one thing but that nasty attitude is a whole other missing piece.
Yes, completely agree. Cooper's Calder Cup winning team - Lebrie/Angelidis/Cote/Gudas (I'm missing a few more) had a "nasty" to them that Cooper liked. Without Malone/Lebrie - our nasty level comes down to Crombeen and that is it.

I did fail to consider that Panik/Gudas/Hedman/Sustr are just kids...at age 28 - 32 we might see them develop into more in your face and gritty players but our team is extremely young and a 23 yr old kid duking it out with a 32 yr old man is not quite a fair comparison for our youngsters.