BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 10-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Jay Feaster's Cheeto Encrusted Thumb

Post BP/HF/SSN History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
On HF they said it was a lower body injury and Yzerman called it very minor. Let's hope!
When you refer to "HF" what is the reference? Just wondering as a newbie here.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Jay Feaster's Cheeto Encrusted Thumb

HF = HockeysFuture: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/

A forum not held in very high regard by many posters here, but known to occasionally have some interesting info.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebs View Post
HF = HockeysFuture: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/

A forum not held in very high regard by many posters here, but known to occasionally have some interesting info.
Minor history lesson...

HF was also the distant past "employer" of the three amigos who started BoltProspects (me, Chad, and Pete). First Pete got "fired" and then Chad got "fired", and then after I was asked to move from covering the TBL to covering the Predators, I was like... "Hey, guys, let's start our own prospects web site". We talked to then TBL GM Jay Feaster to see if he would "recognize" us as legitimate hockey press if we started our own site, and being the tremendous human being that he is, afforded us practically the same access the beat writers had.

On my list of Hell Dwellers... Hockey's Future is not quite in the lowest cavern of Hell (UGA, Auburn, FLA Panthers), but they fall into the next lowest cavern (UT, Atlanta Thrashers, Hockey's Future, the GOP)... you get the picture....
Old 10-11-2013, 05:03 PM
BP Staff

The whole HF thing is a perfect example of the whole, "Success is the best revenge," adage. They actually laughed at us when we set up the website, claiming no one would go to a website built, "Just to slag on HF," and dedicated to "trash," lower round players (because only first rounders matter to HF, and one of their brain trust admitted as much via email).

This is our 9th season publishing (10th if you count the Beta testing we did all through the lockout). In that time we were picked up by by the Lightning's website as a content provider, we've been quoted as a source from cities all around North America and even places like the Puck Daddy blog, and we've gotten Twitter shoutouts from the likes of Bob MacKenzie. I'll leave it to everyone else to draw their conclusions from there as far as who got last laughs.

I'll say this about the HF years: there's things I'd have done differently and I would've handled things probably with a little more maturity and dignity (probably only a little, mind you) but everything we've accomplished in the last 9 years or so, to me, pretty much bears out that we did what we did for the right reasons and those people really did not have the proper respect for the sport, the fans, and their writing staff. We're not perfect, mind you, but I think it's fair to say we care about the sport and the fans (and the prospects) and that's borne out in the quality and longevity of the site.

It's not a liability to care about an organization or care about the personal stories and struggles of these young men fighting their way up to NHL ice. That, I think, was our collective breaking point with HF, because they told us talking to Jay Feaster and Jake Goertzen was somehow taboo or wrong and we cared about the kids too much. Maybe that's too much of a "new media" way of thinking, but my experience is the best members of "old media" put the same heart in their work.

Of course, now, the really screwed up thing is Chad, Tim, and I are like the Rolling Stones of Lightning blogging. We're like the geriatric old guys. 35-40 is like 80 in blogger years, I guess. We'll keep doing it as long as people keep showing up, though.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Steve Ludzik's Leisure Suit Vest

Thanks guys for the BP history lesson and for this fabulous website! Keep up the good work!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Barry Melrose's Hairstylist

Enjoyed the history lesson and this website immensely, so keep up the good work!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

And what makes this a very special board, the software to run the forum was purchased with donations from many that are here.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:36 PM
BP Staff

So true, Waiver, and honestly that's the thing I'm probably the proudest of.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Brian Bradley's Pimp Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
The whole HF thing is a perfect example of the whole, "Success is the best revenge," adage. They actually laughed at us when we set up the website, claiming no one would go to a website built, "Just to slag on HF," and dedicated to "trash," lower round players (because only first rounders matter to HF, and one of their brain trust admitted as much via email).

This is our 9th season publishing (10th if you count the Beta testing we did all through the lockout). In that time we were picked up by by the Lightning's website as a content provider, we've been quoted as a source from cities all around North America and even places like the Puck Daddy blog, and we've gotten Twitter shoutouts from the likes of Bob MacKenzie. I'll leave it to everyone else to draw their conclusions from there as far as who got last laughs.

I'll say this about the HF years: there's things I'd have done differently and I would've handled things probably with a little more maturity and dignity (probably only a little, mind you) but everything we've accomplished in the last 9 years or so, to me, pretty much bears out that we did what we did for the right reasons and those people really did not have the proper respect for the sport, the fans, and their writing staff. We're not perfect, mind you, but I think it's fair to say we care about the sport and the fans (and the prospects) and that's borne out in the quality and longevity of the site.

It's not a liability to care about an organization or care about the personal stories and struggles of these young men fighting their way up to NHL ice. That, I think, was our collective breaking point with HF, because they told us talking to Jay Feaster and Jake Goertzen was somehow taboo or wrong and we cared about the kids too much. Maybe that's too much of a "new media" way of thinking, but my experience is the best members of "old media" put the same heart in their work.

Of course, now, the really screwed up thing is Chad, Tim, and I are like the Rolling Stones of Lightning blogging. We're like the geriatric old guys. 35-40 is like 80 in blogger years, I guess. We'll keep doing it as long as people keep showing up, though.
Awesome content...I'm a daily viewer. Love checking out our prospects and how they are doing in the OHL, QMJHL, KHL, etc. Love the twitter roll on the left hand side of the page. This is the first website I check out in the morning and the last website I see before going to bed.

I'm a geek that likes to play out the possible Erne, Drouin, Connolly line in 2015/2016 or a possible Koekkokoe/Sustr blue line or whatever my imagination can come up with. Your website makes it possible. Keep up the great job!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
Awesome content...I'm a daily viewer. Love checking out our prospects and how they are doing in the OHL, QMJHL, KHL, etc. Love the twitter roll on the left hand side of the page. This is the first website I check out in the morning and the last website I see before going to bed.

I'm a geek that likes to play out the possible Erne, Drouin, Connolly line in 2015/2016 or a possible Koekkokoe/Sustr blue line or whatever my imagination can come up with. Your website makes it possible. Keep up the great job!
Welcome aboard!