BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 02:37 PM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
I'm not sure I buy that. I don't recall the NHL paying anything in the Steve Moore suit, and aside from a death, that was about as bad as it could get.
NHL was never named as part of the suit, the Canucks were.

From Wikipedia

Quote:
On February 16, 2006, Moore filed a civil suit in the province of Ontario against Bertuzzi, the Canucks, and the parent company of the Canucks, Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment seeking $15 million in pecuniary damages for loss of income, $1 million for aggravated damages, and $2 million for punitive damages. Moore's parents, who were watching their son on television when the attack happened, are also suing, seeking $1.5 million "for negligent infliction of nervous shock and mental distress."(all figures in Canadian dollars). Moore's lawyer filed the suit one day before its two-year limitation expired, denying there was any connection between the timing and the 2006 Winter Olympics[10] of which Bertuzzi participated in.

Bettman attempted to get Bertuzzi and Moore to agree on an out-of-court settlement in the CAD$19.5 million lawsuit filed by Moore.[11] Bertuzzi offered $350,000 to settle the case, an amount which was called "an insult" by Moore's lawyer.[12]

On March 28, 2008, Bertuzzi filed a lawsuit against Crawford, alleging that he was contractually obliged to obey Crawford and that therefore Crawford shares responsibility for the injury to Moore.[13] In response, Crawford later stated that Bertuzzi acted in "direct disobedience" to orders from the bench to get off the ice before attacking Moore.[14] On January 14, 2013, The Toronto Star reported that both Moore v. Bertuzzi, et al. and Bertuzzi v. Crawford would begin, after having been postponed several times, in April of 2013. Both cases will be held in the Ontario Superior Court before a six person jury.[15] Danson said that neurosurgeons working with Moore had determined Moore had suffered a "permanent brain injury" so severe that it had done "serious damage to his post-NHL career." Moore himself has said that he still experiences headaches and difficulty concentrating.[16]

On January 4, 2012, Bertuzzi dropped his third-party lawsuit against Crawford
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Moore
Old 10-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

But did the Canucks have to pay anything on that?

The league can just as easily say it does not condone fighting which is why they give penalties for it. They have given out information on concussions, potentials for long term trauma, and have penalties in place if you commit an infraction, it would be a tough suit to win.

On top of that, the article I linked is a paper done by Georgetown Medical that shows you are like 4 times more likely to get injured body checking than in a fight. So if lawsuits are a concern, you better start by eliminating the body check.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
But did the Canucks have to pay anything on that?

The league can just as easily say it does not condone fighting which is why they give penalties for it. They have given out information on concussions, potentials for long term trauma, and have penalties in place if you commit an infraction, it would be a tough suit to win.

On top of that, the article I linked is a paper done by Georgetown Medical that shows you are like 4 times more likely to get injured body checking than in a fight. So if lawsuits are a concern, you better start by eliminating the body check.
In January 2013 the case was again put off after it was set to go to trail. I can't find anything as to the new trial date.

Bertuzzi had sued Crawford but in a secret settlement he dropped the suit when the Canucks agreed to pay some of the damages if he lost in court. The percentage is not disclosed.

Quote:
While Moore has asked for $60 million, roughly as much money as Bertuzzi has made in his NHL career, a jury can award as much money as it sees fit based on the evidence presented to the court.

In exchange for Bertuzzi dropping a cross-claim lawsuit against the Canucks, the team signed a secret agreement with the power forward agreeing to cover some percentage of his liability.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...struggles.html
Old 10-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Speaking as a rank (and I do mean rank) amateur player, 45-year fan of the sport who used to think hockey fights were reprehensible until the truly nauseating MMA caught on...and whose two favorite players are Wayne Gretzky and Marty St. Louis, who probably have a grand total of two fighting majors between them in their HOF careers...

1. According to our resident fightomaniac, a miniscule percentage of punches ever even LAND during most hockey fights

2. The ones that do land very, very seldom leave either combatant unable to skate spiritedly to the box, chirping insults through sarcastic grins, ready for their next shift five minutes later. People are more likely to die in accidents on the ice than in fights

3. Rarely do I like to use the word never...but never, as in NEVER during a fight do we see masses of fans leap up to hit the restroom and concessions, and never does the TV station cut to commercial. Ever.

4. Fighting has been part of pro hockey (especially the minor leagues) for well over a century. Yes, the Olympics and college and high school manage without it. Slap Shot isn't STILL the #1 hockey movie ever because people are horrified by fisticuffs

5. You can go ahead and talk rationally about removing fighting without getting laughed at really hard, whenever the NHL decides to enter the 21st or even the 20th century with regard to multiple cameras and instant replay ability for calling all physical fouls, and extra off-ice officals. Get serious about calling all the little shit that happens at 30 mph outside the view of two guys looking elsewhere, so the need for it can be reduced if not eliminated. Also, while we're all worrying about protection above the neck, bring the full face shields like lacrosse and especially football, whose players also do lots of heinous garbage, but who's gonna punch that mask?

We can rest safely assured #5 will not occur in our lifetime, so we can relax
Old 10-02-2013, 07:00 PM

My feeling is that if you remove fighting the stick work will get worse. Don't know why I feel that way other than I have played the game.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:30 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
Shocking. I wonder how he would have felt, had fighting not kept him "safe" during his career.
Call me crazy, but the opinion of the guy who skated with the guys who purportedly "kept him safe" carries some weight with me.

Quote:
The injury wasn't BECAUSE of a fight, it was an accident, much like Selanne's wrist or Malarchuk's throat, but they don't want to eliminate skates.
Because that is a potential risk every player assumes during the course of actual gameplay. Fights occur outside the bounds of regulation time. They are a sideshow to the actual sport that is played. You can eliminate fighting and still have ice hockey as we know it while the clock is actually ticking. This is not the case if you remove skates.

Quote:
What about the head shots?
LOLWUT? The NHL has been trying to address head shots for years now. C'mon now, Freaddy, let's not pretend that other dangerous aspects of the game have been utterly ignored.

Quote:
The twat-waffles running this game are worthless pieces of shit. Wish they'd have ruined basketball the same way they're ruining the NHL.
This is very insightful. Thank you.

Last edited by Mike; 10-02-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Call me crazy, but the opinion of the guy who skated with the guys who purportedly "kept him safe" carries some weight with me.
It means he's ungrateful.

RED WING fans are angry at him for saying it.

Quote:
Because that is a potential risk every player assumes during the course of actual gameplay. Fights occur outside the bounds of regulation time. They are a sideshow to the actual sport that is played. You can eliminate fighting and still have ice hockey as we know it while the clock is actually ticking. This is not the case if you remove skates.
Do you know the last time fighting wasn't a part of hockey? Probably back to the time they started wearing skates.

Quote:
LOLWUT? The NHL has been trying to address head shots for years now. C'mon now, Freaddy, let's not pretend that other dangerous aspects of the game have been utterly ignored.
Like with fighting, it doesn't matter what they're done, because they STILL HAPPEN. Ever since Steve Moore's injury, the NHL STILL hasn't come up with a ban that players are fearful enough of NOT to hit players in the head.

Quote:
This is very insightful. Thank you.
Sometime's things have to be said in clear and concise words, that don't leave room for misinterpretation.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:30 PM
BP Staff

I don't think giving a game misconduct for fighting, as Yzerman suggests, would actually eliminate fighting. I think you'd still have the kind of spontaneous fights that occur when a guy tries to cheapshot a teammate, run a goalie, etc. What it would eliminate is the staged dog and pony show fights. It's very hard already to justify putting a guy who can't really play the game on your roster, and it would be impossible if this rule existed. However, on the flip side, it's not like the NCAA rule with automatic multi-game suspensions attached to it, so it wouldn't get rid of the true policing of dirty play.

I think it would have a negligible effect on the safety of the game, but I think the result would be that you'd have a higher quality product, skill wise, around the league if the 23rd spot on every roster was being held by a Brett Connolly rather than a P.C. Labrie.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Steve Downie with the Gordie Howe Hattrick in his first regular season game back from his injury last season.

Nice to see Tanguay hasn't lost his touch.

MacKinnon is FAST....and feisty....

Ben Lovejoy has sealed his own death warrant,he went after MacKinnon's knee with about 20 seconds left.

Roy was just as fiery yelling at that douche Boudreau, as he was as a player.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:14 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

It's HERE OPENING DAY for the LIGHTNING BABY!!!!!! Sitting at my desk with my jersey on!!!

Not sure what the GDT protocol is this year, so let me just say here... it's gonna be a long day until I can settle on the edge of my seat in front of the big secreen at 7:30 tonight....

Last edited by Jester47; 10-03-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Closed Thread