BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:02 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
Dayum, $8 mil for Kessel?

The definition of insanity, the NHL has it.
You (and many others) may not think that much of Kessel but he's been a 30+ goalscorer (and was on pace for nearly 40 last season) and has entered the top tier of point producers. He was a pending UFA and the cap is almost certainly going to go up next season. There is nothing "insane" about this deal or to be shocked about.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=433262

Steve Yzerman (among other GMs) wants to eliminate fighting.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Zo View Post

Not surprised to see this debate up again after the Parros injury. He still had his helmet on, maybe they should wear face cages too.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

And to Yzerman, I say

Hockey fights rarely cause injuries

But, now at least we will know why we don't get tough guys and get beaten up this whole season.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Zo View Post

Shocking. I wonder how he would have feltr, had fighting not kept him "safe" during his career.

The injury wasn't BECAUSE of a fight, it was an accident, much like Selanne's wrist or Malarchuk's throat, but they don't want to eliminate skates.

What about the head shots? They didn't want to eliminate sticks.

The twat-waffles running this game are worthless pieces of shit. Wish they'd have ruined basketball the same way they're ruining the NHL.

Last edited by KyleFreadrich43; 10-02-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
Shocking. I wonder how he would have feltr, had fighting not kept him "safe" during his career.

The injury wasn't BECAUSE of a fight, it was an accident, much like Selanne's wrist or Malarchuk's throat, but they don't want to eliminate skates.

What about the head shots? They didn't want to eliminate sticks.

The twat-waffles running this game are worthless pieces of shit. Wish they'd have ruined basketball the same way they're ruining the NHL.
I'm willing to bet more people get injuries from the hockey puck than fighting (especially if you exclude the broken hands on helmets, which they are increasing with rule changes).
Old 10-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Cooper's Law

Fighting will be eliminated as much because of the potential financial liability as anything else. Owners are frightened, and rightly so, that someone will die in a fight or be permanently injured.

The analogies of stick injuries, knee injuries, etc don't fly. Those occur as part of the game. Fighting isn't part of the game (see NCAA, Olympic hockey). The fact that it is a penalty would be used by an attorney to hang the NHL.

The owners breathed a sigh of relief after they learned the injury wasn't as serious as they feared. How long they want to keep the financial risk is the question.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Fighting will be eliminated as much because of the potential financial liability as anything else. Owners are frightened, and rightly so, that someone will die in a fight or be permanently injured.

The analogies of stick injuries, knee injuries, etc don't fly. Those occur as part of the game. Fighting isn't part of the game (see NCAA, Olympic hockey). The fact that it is a penalty would be used by an attorney to hang the NHL.

The owners breathed a sigh of relief after they learned the injury wasn't as serious as they feared. How long they want to keep the financial risk is the question.
Simple solution, have them sign waivers
Old 10-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post

I'm not sure I buy that. I don't recall the NHL paying anything in the Steve Moore suit, and aside from a death, that was about as bad as it could get.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Cooper's Law

That attack wasn't condoned by the league like fighting currently is. Huge difference. Bert was thrown out of the game for a size able period of time.

Even if the league bans fighting by making is a suspension, there will still be fights. But the league will have made a statement that it discourages fighting. That gives them a legal defense.
Closed Thread