BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 09-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice

Should clarify... when it comes to the assessment side (talent, coaching, etc) and also take into account the author. Because...

See here -----> http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/teamrankings

Old 09-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
Look at it objectively...
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to say the team deserves to be ranked higher (we all know probably better than others how big of a question mark hovers over this team this season) or that Yzerman and Cooper are going to be some amazing dynasty building machine, I just question the thought process going into those statements. Like Mike said, how can you judge Cooper's performance in the NHL so far based on garbage time of a season when the team is already donezo?

Incomplete would be better, IMO.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

My black & blue glasses aren't totally opaque...there's validity in questioning anything relating to TBL success post-2004. That's why I intentionally leave Cooper out of my remarks, since he's had success only below the NHL level. I'm no expert, so the point I guess I'm missing is how the prospects can be ranked #1 with no one else even close, while the GM who is responsible for bringing them to the organization is essentially "meh". How does that work--did he get them accidentally? Did someone else actually bring them in before Yzerman came on board? Are they factoring in how badly the club has floundered overall since he joined the organization? That's got to be it--the greatness of the prospects is insufficient to counterbalance the suckage of squandering an engraved invitation to cause the 2011 riots by the Vancouver proglodytes, plus our ensuing free-fall to sub-mediocrity.

Not that it matters since this is ESPN we're talking about, and until he's proven capable of "netting" a top-caliber starting goalie who can win consistently in the playoffs I'm totally over my SFY-worshiping days,...just idly wondering how they compute the rankings

EDIT: to add bold type for necessary clarification of main point not to be overlooked

Last edited by Top Shelf; 09-23-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Cooper's Law

Getting prospects is only one of Yzerman's roles as GM. On paper, he has performed this task very well. Fine. What about his other roles? How has he done getting a #1 goalie? Lindback looked good on paper last year at this time too. Are Bishop and Lindback the real deal or are there still questions? Has he turned around the defense?

I'm a big Yzerman fan and I think he has done a great job. But this team is full of question marks. Was he right to pass up Jones? Will the kids pan out? Are the goalies going to work out this time? Were Connolly and Koekkoek smart picks?

Until these and many more questions are answered, a question mark on performance is the best he can do.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:49 PM
BP Staff

Look, who gives a flip about fictitious ESPN rankings anyway? Do you people not grasp the absolute, undying bias the 4-letter network has against the Lightning because of Melrose's tenure at that company, and his ability to manipulate life-sized sock puppet John Buccigross?

So, say it with me now 'cos it'll make you feel better: screw ESPN. The only way they'll begrudgingly give respect is if the Lightning win the Cup. That's it. Even when we were in the ECF against Boston Melrose was doing his damndest to crap sideways on the franchise. So, given that, who cares about ESPN? Who cares about anyone in the Northern hockey media complex? They don't understand hockey in the Tampa market, and they're damned sure not capable of being complimentary about it. So screw them all. Let them all line up and take a long walk off a short pier for all I care.

This team and this city needs to refind the chip on its shoulder, because that's always what's worked best for Tampa Bay. Screw the talking heads. Screw the banquet circuit. Screw the awards. Screw all of it. None of it is important, in the end equation. Stammer's just figuring that out. The only rankings that matter right now are the Eastern Conference standings, and if we're good enough to advance to the postseason, the only rankings that matter will be the win counts in the series' that we play in. The rest is just noise for everyone else to get wrapped up in and get distracted by. The Lightning need to be here, in the moment, to win hockey games and kick a whole lot of ass in the process. Nothing else matters.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Snoozin' Zyuzin (aka Suddenly Susan)

I can give SY two more years. It was he that stated this season maybe worse than last. I will give him that. But after that I expect to see an improvement, a major improvement.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I don't know why they'd attempt to grade Cooper on his NHL tenure given the extremely small sample size and the fact he took over a team 2/3 of the way through a lockout-shortened season. I get that he's unproven at this level, but I'm not sure why ESPN didn't just leave him out of the analysis altogether.
Could they get away with that ranking after saying we have the best farm team, without a balancing effect? Without totally discrediting Yzerman?

@ESPN, yeah I don't care where they rank us. I think the real question being discussed is where we would rank us.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:27 PM

The Cowboys did a lot of damage to this team. SY and Cooper have done a great job in the AHL.

Now we will see if Cooper has what it takes to be in the NHL and if SY's picks pan out for the parent club.

This year will also tell us if his choice of goaltenders was the right move.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:44 PM
BP Staff

And as I said this summer, this is the first time in forever I have no idea what this team is, but don't you know I'm DYING to find out! New coaching culture, new youth, new identity to be formed. It's easy to say this team has no prayer of doing anything, but there's plenty of intangibles with a guy like Cooper that tell me this team could really fight above its weight class all year.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:23 PM

I was worried when the games started. I even stayed away from camp. But when the puck dropped I was surprised how good we looked with the youth. Our defense didn't look all that bad. At least we have some kids that can be called up and compete at this level.

My concern is with Bishop. He looked good at times and at other times it was the same old Lightning goalie curse. But I am willing to give him some time as I know he played the night before and then played his first full game after a long break.

Now if we can just get the forwards to help the defense out..............

I am happy all they players that needed to clear waivers have done so.

For the record I loved the play of Philippe Paradise.