BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 09-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Puppa Scoopah

Default ESPN puts us #1 in prospects

per their futures rankings (insider pay site), but have us 15th overall due to weakness with GM and coach. We are also near the bottom in their roster talent analysis...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...future-success

We slot between Nashville and Colorado, way back of Hawks, Pens and Bruins:

Nashville Predators

The number that jumps out is the 5.83 given to the owner/GM/coach. The duo of GM David Poile and coach Barry Trotz are generally regarded as one of the best in the NHL, and they've been able to consistently keep this franchise competitive despite conservative payrolls.

Tampa Bay Lightning
our bar scores were 4.67 out of 10 for coach GM owner 4.33 for roster 9.5 for prospects and 6.33 for contracts and cap space
Questions remain about the duo of GM Steve Yzerman and coach Jon Cooper (No. 22 overall), and the decision to spend big money on Valtteri Filppula and Matt Carle cost the Lightning some future salary-cap flexibility, but one thing pushed the Lightning into the top half of the league: their prospects.

This was the No. 1 prospect group, according to the voters, with a stellar 9.5. No other team even cracked 9.0. Cooper was successful in the AHL in part because of the talent being accumulated there by the Lightning. Adding the dynamic Jonathan Drouin in June's draft pushes the Lightning past loaded franchises like the Ducks, Sabres and Islanders.

Colorado Avalanche

In the tier format us, Colorado and Edmonton top the prospects talent pool.

Last edited by bolts37205; 09-22-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Cooper's Law

In other words .. questions remain about the duo of Yzerman and Cooper, but later in the writeup they tell us the prospects are amazing and Cooper did a great job with them.

So .. which is it? Questions, or answers?
Old 09-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Sounds like the usual. They see some things on paper that they can't deny, but crap on everything else.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

I think we must all reading that the same way...Yzerman's effectiveness as GM is in severe doubt, yet the prospects are #1?? I admit being confused. Wasn't he somewhat involved, in some way, in acquiring a fair number of them? Numerologists, help us out with the percentage please, am I way off base?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Nothing really eye opening. Seems like fair rankings to me
Old 09-23-2013, 10:16 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery86 View Post
In other words .. questions remain about the duo of Yzerman and Cooper, but later in the writeup they tell us the prospects are amazing and Cooper did a great job with them.

So .. which is it? Questions, or answers?
I don't know why they'd attempt to grade Cooper on his NHL tenure given the extremely small sample size and the fact he took over a team 2/3 of the way through a lockout-shortened season. I get that he's unproven at this level, but I'm not sure why ESPN didn't just leave him out of the analysis altogether.

As for Yzerman, they are commending his work at building the pipeline and, I assume, the influx of talent to the big club that he's overseen while at the same time knocking him for, aside from the deep playoff run in 2011, the lack of short-term results the past two seasons. Which is fair, IMO, although I'm guessing the roster-churning, with all of the bargain-hunting and stop-gap signings and depth acquisitions and contract shedding (e.g. Aulie, Bergenheim, Bergeron, Downie, Ellis, Gagne, Garon, Kubina, Lecavalier, Lee, Roloson, Salo, Shannon), that has led to such mixed results isn't being treated with much nuance.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Jay Feaster's Cheeto Encrusted Thumb

So ESPN wants me to pay for this incredibly insightful analysis? No thanks.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Look at it objectively, yes we have a lot of talent in the minors, and Cooper did well in the minors, but our previous coach is proof positive that doesn't always translate. The goal is not to win in the minors, it's to win in the NHL. Cooper has not shown (yet) he can do that, and I think all of us have had some major questions about NHL moves Yzerman has made. I don't think it is that unfair to rank the unproven lower. Without reading/looking at all the rankings, there is some justification there.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

It's not that hard to understand the questions about Yzerman and Cooper. The coach is unproven at the NHL level regardless of what success he had in the minors. And the GM has just one goaltender-fueled run in the postseason more than two years ago on his resume.

I like to see things with my positive eye when it comes to YZ and Coop, but I won't deny the validity of these questions.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I don't know why they'd attempt to grade Cooper on his NHL tenure given the extremely small sample size and the fact he took over a team 2/3 of the way through a lockout-shortened season. I get that he's unproven at this level, but I'm not sure why ESPN didn't just leave him out of the analysis altogether.
Because it's ESPN. OR ...

It would be wise to invoke the ESPN NHL rule. 10% knowledge, 0% relevance