BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 09-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Default Rule Changes for 2013-2014: Crafty or Crappy?

Here We Go Again: The NHL in its grand wisdom is again tinkering with the rulebook to give itself a sense of relevancy. Are they on the ball, or did they again drop it? You decide...

Let's start with the silliest: The No-Tuck Rule. For this one I was able to find actual wording.
Quote:
"Players are not permitted to tuck their jersey into their pants in such a manner where the top padding of the pant and/or additional body protection (affixed to the pant or affixed to the Player’s body) is exposed outside the jersey. The back uniform number must not be covered or obstructed in any fashion by protruding pads or other protective padding."

Players will get a warning first from the referee, then a two-minute penalty if caught again. A 10-minute misconduct and game misconduct are in the cards if said player fails to adhere to the officials' warnings.

As the NHL's VP of hockey operations Kris King told Elliotte Friedman, the jersey tuck rule has been in the league's rulebook for almost 50 years, but now it will be strictly enforced.
Thank heavens, the brain trust at the NHL has stepped in to rescue us and the game we love from...fabric tucked inside other fabric. Hockey fans the world over have been lying awake nights wondering, WHEN will they EVER get on the stick and get serious about this!!! Gretzky would be rolling over in his grave if he weren't still living.

Goalie Equipment - Nope, they're not touching those gargantuan leather butterfly nets called catching gloves or making the leg pads closer to the width of legs. Instead, they're making them SHORTER, to get more 5-hole goals, which the GMs have apparently been clamoring for. Never mind the concern voiced by goalies that their knees will be exposed to more likelihood of injury. Incredibly, the union and league are still grappling over how much actual protection for the knee joint goalies actually NEED when facing 110-mph shots. Meanwhile, that blocker-sized wrist pad on the catching glove that has nothing to do with protection gets to stay.

Hybrid Icing - Just make it automatic already and be done with it. Unless the belief is that officials actually need additional judgment calls to make.

Puck Over Glass - Still a stupid penalty. What, you thought they'd grow a brain cell? What's next, elimination of the shootout gimmick and instigator??

Shallower Nets - Four extra inches to work with behind the cage. Meh. They used to have an extra two feet, until the goal lines were gradually moved back. Bonanza for goal cage manufacturers, insignificant otherwise.

Video Review of 4-minute High Sticking Fouls - Not a bad idea, this one. I've long said they need review for penalties, and this opens the door. Never should've made this not a 5-minute major in the first place. Anytime blood is seen there should be a stoppage and a review to determine the cause, and appropriate penalties issued on the spot.

Visors - This one's literally a no-brainer, as in all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about it in hockeyland. Three out of four players already wear them. Those who don't are free to still litter the ice with pieces of their face. Again, no-brainer. Full shields would be better protection, obviously, but that'll have to wait a coupla generations.

Removing helmet before fighting - As already discussed elsewhere, this is a real puzzler. IMO it'd make more sense on the surface to penalize leaving it ON, since it could break someone's hands--though it's hard to see guys giving their opponent time to remove it before going at it. Another example of trying way too hard to find something to penalize.

EDIT: Seems a good place to re-post about two guys who found a loophole for the NHL to get busy plugging--they literally paused to agree on removing EACH OTHER'S helmets in order to fight: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...1548--nhl.html

EDIT Note: These are the proposed changes, some of which may have yet to be confirmed.

Last edited by Top Shelf; 09-22-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:55 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Default Tuck

Sounds like someone complained that the players were not dressed appropriately, did someone's mom call?
Old 09-21-2013, 09:21 AM

The only good I can see in it is pissing off Ovchokin, whose chief identifying feature had evolved from highly skilled play to obnoxious hotdog showboating to bright yellow laces to comical oversized flapping back pad.

Heaven help the player who winds up for a slapper, only to have his jersey hem catch on his pants and give the appearance of a traumatizing rule infraction. What a load of tucking nonsense

EDIT: And right on cue...
Quote:
Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin is upset with Rule 9.5 from this year’s official rulebook. If you haven’t heard about it yet, it’s because it’s a subtle, new addition that could wind up being controversial...Ovechkin tells Katie Carrera of the Washington Post he’s less-than enthused about the change. “I’m the guy who love that kind of stuff. I’m kind of upset about it, but most important thing, nobody talk to us, the players. They think it can be dangerous for somebody. I think it’s kind of stupid,” Ovechkin said Sunday. “My gear is not stay [near] my body so jersey always goes in. If I’m going to put jersey normally, I’m going to skate and it goes back.”
Agreed, but just one question, Alex: Puffs or Kleenex?

Last edited by Top Shelf; 09-21-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Marty used to do that back when the jerseys were way too big for him.

Personally I don't mind that rule. It just looks dumpy when players do that. Heaven forbid we want to see your number for scorekeeping and penalty purposes. I'd rather it just be a fine though than an on ice penalty, which seems overkill.

Last edited by Hoek; 09-21-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:48 AM

Although to be fair, a pretty full boatload of successful scorekeeping activity happened involving the number 99, despite half his jersey being always tucked all the way into the pants. Jagr tucks his in also, yet we always seem to know who he is. IMO the number-obscuring narrative is a fanciful invention by the NHL to justify a needless rule. I mean, how many hockey fans would really have come up with this if asked to name problems facing the NHL which were so significantly diminishing the game that some remedy was needed? Probably about as many as thought the nets were just too damn deep.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Shitty changes....for the last 20 years, It's terrible watching the de-evolution of the game I love.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Cooper's Law

With the shallower nets, the wrap around is going to be a bigger threat.

Somewhere Tim Taylor is thinking, "I could have led the league in scoring if they had done that when I played."
Old 09-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Jersey tuck rule = future advertising?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Jersey tuck rule = future advertising?
Whoa....good eye Alex! (unfortunately)

Small, unobtrusive ones first, around the back hem...then the front hem...then the shoulders...then the helmets...then the team name will be for sale just like the building name. Will we see Vinny finish out his career with the Comcasts? Time--er, Times will tell...

Old 09-26-2013, 06:59 AM

This blew me away. I don't think this is new for this season, but we've all seen the slew-foot move, where you skate by and "accidentally" glide your skate into the back of the opponent's, making him fall on his butt. Happens all the time; forwards use it against goalies frequently when cruising through the crease. Check this out...there isn't even a minor penalty for it.
Quote:
Rule 52 - Slew-footing
52.1 Slew-footing - Slew-footing is the act of a player or goalkeeper using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the opponent’s feet from under him, causing him to fall violently to the ice.
52.2 Match Penalty - Any player who is guilty of slew-footing shall be assessed a match penalty.
Guess we won't be seeing refs ever call anybody for slew-footing. It'll be rarer than a penalty for "abusive language" [Rule 75.2(i)]

Last edited by Top Shelf; 09-26-2013 at 07:03 AM.