BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Farm

Old 09-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Lovin' all the Russian names on the score sheet.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Cooper's Law

Back from my trip.

I stood next to and was able to talk to Al Murray between periods yesterday. I asked if Kucherov might not be the best of the bunch out there and he said that he was having an outstanding tournament. He also said that Drouin isn't by any means a lock for the Lightning this year and that if he goes back to juniors that Kucherov would seem to have the advantage for that position. I wonder where that leaves Connolly?

When we talked about Jones, he said the same thing he has said publicly - great player, they just had Drouin rated higher. How much did MacKinnon help Drouin? A lot, but Drouin helped MacKinnon. He said the decision was made easier when MacKinnon was hurt and Drouin elevated his game.

Sustr? He said that he would have gone between 15 and 20 in this year's draft.

Biggest smile of the day from the lightning coaching staff upstairs? When Richard scored. The way he passes, if he ever gets a scoring touch, watch out.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:05 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Back from my trip.

I stood next to and was able to talk to Al Murray between periods yesterday. I asked if Kucherov might not be the best of the bunch out there and he said that he was having an outstanding tournament. He also said that Drouin isn't by any means a lock for the Lightning this year and that if he goes back to juniors that Kucherov would seem to have the advantage for that position. I wonder where that leaves Connolly?

When we talked about Jones, he said the same thing he has said publicly - great player, they just had Drouin rated higher. How much did MacKinnon help Drouin? A lot, but Drouin helped MacKinnon. He said the decision was made easier when MacKinnon was hurt and Drouin elevated his game.

Biggest smile of the day from the lightning coaching staff upstairs? When Richard scored. The way he passes, if he ever gets a scoring touch, watch out.
Thanks for sharing.

What Murray told you in regards to Drouin may very well be the organization's stance but it's also important to keep in mind that NOBODY in the organization would publicly admit to a newly-drafted player being a lock for the big club even if he was.

When it comes to Drouin and Kucherov (and others), you have to keep the ideal development scenarios in mind. What competition would you rather have Drouin face? Is it worth having him spend another year in Halifax when you can keep much closer tabs on his dietary and workout regimens as well as help him adjust to the many other facets of professional hockey with the big club? Is Kucherov really better off in Tampa when he could spend this year adjusting not only to the pro game but filling out his frame a bit and further adapting to life in North America with friends and countrymen around him in Syracuse?

Yes, the organization's approach with youth is generally conservative but it's not necessarily rigid. They handle these kids as individuals whose circumstances are often very, very different.

Last edited by Mike; 09-08-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Back from my trip.

Thanks for sharing. I definitely wish you had followed up with that Connolly question
Old 09-08-2013, 05:11 PM
BP Staff

My opinion remains unchanged: Drouin will make the team but will not be playing on a scoring line until the second half of the season. People penciling him onto the Stamkos line aren't being realistic, and should recall Stamkos and Lecavalier at 18. I think Killorn likely goes on that line.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
People penciling him onto the Stamkos line aren't being realistic, and should recall Stamkos and Lecavalier at 18.
Yup. I imagine most nights, Cooper will dress 7 D and 11 F, run 3 full lines and spot the 2 extra forwards in limited ice time and highly protected situations. Drouin will likely be one of those extra forwards until he picks up the speed of the game and makes adjustments in the 2nd half of the season.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:52 PM
BP Staff

And we should have faith in Cooper and what he did with Palat and Namestnikov in consecutive seasons in SyraNo. Those guys were somewhat similar to Drouin's type of player, and they came on like gangbusters in the second half after Cooper eased them into pro hockey in the first half of the season.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
I predict Ikonen will get some scoring line time and be the surprise of the tourney for our guys. And by "surprise" I mean that relatively considering some of the high-end talent on the team. I'm not predicting anything meteoric, but I think eyebrows will be raised and he'll climb a few notches on the ladder.
From the Lightning's wrap-up of the tournament at http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|TBL|home

ZETTLER'S SLEEPERS
"I thought Tanner Richard played a really strong tournament on both sides of the puck offensively and defensively," he said. "I thought [Henri] Ikonen was really good and battled really hard and we have a tryout guy by the name of [Drew] Olson who impressed me. He kept working really hard and did a lot of the little things really well."

From http://boltprospects.com/org-tracker, you'll note that TBL has 46 guys under contract, not counting the ELC-slide eligible contracts of Koekkoek and Drouin. Assuming Drouin sticks with the TBL, that means TBL really has 47 out a max of 50 contracts on the books. Really can't see more than one FA invitee being signed, and I'd imagine newly-converted-to-forward Drew Olson is the front runner.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Kucherov finished the tournament with seven points (four goals, three assists) and the most points out of any player during the three-game weekend.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Puppa Scoopah

What do you guys make of the fact they had Drouin play center in the last game? Just an attempt to see him there and next to Kucherov or something to look for moving ahead?