BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-21-2013, 06:46 PM
BP Staff

The most important plays have essentially been covered, with the exception of some of the playoff goals in the '96 season.

The best play, from an artistry standpoint, was Vinny's belly flop chip over the goaltender against Atlanta.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Send a message via AIM to njbolt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
The best play, from an artistry standpoint, was Vinny's belly flop chip over the goaltender against Atlanta.
Agreed. That's just about impossible to pull off when you go out and try to do it at half speed in practice for a week, let alone pulling it out of your ass in a game. Ridiculous. Roofing that while diving and using only your top hand? The fact that Vinny scored was slightly lucky, but connecting and getting the puck 47 inches in the air is a feat and a half in itself.

That one sticks out in particular, because it was one of the first games I watched on Center Ice when I finally got it (Lightning won 8-5 IIRC). Also in that game: Vinny getting tossed after fighting Dan Snyder, and me thinking "wow, this Kovalchuk dude really hates to pass"
Old 07-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

I totally remember that goal as well--so incredible they used it a lot in advertising Lightning games. It's actually the one that was in my mind when I first started typing the OP, and it made me realize there are a lot of different ways to interpret the phrase "greatest play"

Vinny's spin-o-rama backhander for his 50th goal of the season was pretty wicked, too. Who pulls that fricken move out of their bag for a huge milestone like that? Just amazing

Also amazing: how many times Lecavalier's name surfaces in a thread about this
Old 07-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Old-Skool Assassin

Marty's OT goal in Game six of the SCF has to be on the list.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I'd also put Selivanov's OT Goal in game 3 against the Flyers in 96 on there.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Vinny fighting Iginla is easily the most important fight in team history
+ YouTube Video

Last edited by dannybolt; 07-22-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Marty's 3ot goal to win the game and the series vs Washington (4/20/03) wasn't too shabby, Chris Kontos' and the Lightning's first goal on 10/7/92, and Phil Esposito for scoring the Japanese investors to win the sweepstakes for the rights to the Tampa Bay expansion franchise.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

The Selivanov OT goal in 96 to take the series lead against the Flyers.

St.Louis undressing Kenny Jonsson and making Dipietro look stupid against the Islanders in the 04 playoffs.

Vinny's behind the back goal to force OT in game 3 against the Canadians.

Jones-Purcell-VL Pass and score combo for game 2 OT win against Washington.

All of Thor's goals.

Hard to narrow down the Roloson and Khabibulin saves, but game 3 and game 4 against Pittsburgh the Roloson saves stand out in my mind.

Any one of the St.Louis OT goals, he finished off the series against Washington in 02-03 and the Islanders in 03-04. Best clutch player ever to suit up for us, the game 6 goal is easily the greatest play in our history.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Fedotenko's playoff goals...
Old 07-22-2013, 05:15 PM

Or Brad Richards' NHL record SEVEN game winning playoff goals in '04, including one in a key 1-0 win in Calgary to prevent us from going down 3-1 in the series. Khabi pitching a shutout gets props in that one too of course.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:59 PM

I guess you could infer both given the title of the thread, but I thought this was about best unique plays(importance of the moment). If its overall playoff effort, I'd give the nod to Khabibulin's efforts, I was disappointed that he did not win the Conn Smythe. Vinny's 50 goal and Stamkos's 60 goal seasons were also enjoyable to watch.

EDIT: On Richards, obviously playoff production is clutch, but the barometer for greatness goes off the charts in OT. He did have that OT winner against the Habs, but I was already on an emotional high after the tie and wasn't chiseling away at my fingers when he scored. I honestly don't remember his other game winners.

Last edited by RSchmitz; 07-22-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:13 PM

Here's some of his goals, the one at :37 where he steals the puck and immediately roofs it past Kipper stands out, for one.

+ YouTube Video