BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Default The Greatest Play in Lightning History

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Stillman's stick lift on Iginla's gaping open net almost cup-winner is perhaps the single greatest play in Lightning history.
There could be considerable lighthearted, good-natured banter (it's about us winning the Cup, after all) about the relative degree to which this could be an overstatement, and about what other plays could vie for the title. They could (and probably should) occupy an entire thread unto themselves where folks could retreat into a sort of utopian Shangri-La, a place where there is no heart-stopping political corruption, heavy-handed oppression, disease, hate, war, Vinny being a Flyer, etc., and just wallow in a bygone misty time when the lips of the hockey world pronounced the word "Lightning" without a trace of smirk. It could be called The Greatest Play in Lightning History Thread or something equally imaginative

To start, two plays from Game 7 leap immediately to mind: Khabibulin's epic trek from his left to his right--scientists are still deeply perplexed by Khabibulin's feat, which appears to have defied the laws of physics as they relate to movement of the human body--to somehow get the paddle down on Jordan Leopold's wide-open bid to tie the game in the waning minutes; and of course, Vinny's mind-blowing, inconceivable whirling dervish of moves in the corner to put three Calgary defenders into indecent exposure, and set up Feds for the Cup-winner...that is pure prowess that still stands as nothing short of majestic
Old 07-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Khabibulin's epic trek from his left to his right--scientists are still deeply perplexed by Khabibulin's feat, which appears to have defied the laws of physics as they relate to movement of the human body--to somehow get the paddle down on Jordan Leopold's wide-open bid to tie the game in the waning minutes
Epic.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Send a message via AIM to njbolt12

Quote:
There could be considerable lighthearted, good-natured banter (it's about us winning the Cup, after all) about the relative degree to which this could be an overstatement, and about what other plays could vie for the title. They could (and probably should) occupy an entire thread unto themselves where folks could retreat into a sort of utopian Shangri-La, a place where there is no heart-stopping political corruption, heavy-handed oppression, disease, hate, war, Vinny being a Flyer, etc., and just wallow in a bygone misty time when the lips of the hockey world pronounced the word "Lightning" without a trace of smirk. It could be called The Greatest Play in Lightning History Thread or something equally imaginative

To start, two plays from Game 7 leap immediately to mind: Khabibulin's epic trek from his left to his right--scientists are still deeply perplexed by Khabibulin's feat, which appears to have defied the laws of physics as they relate to movement of the human body--to somehow get the paddle down on Jordan Leopold's wide-open bid to tie the game in the waning minutes; and of course, Vinny's mind-blowing, inconceivable whirling dervish of moves in the corner to put three Calgary defenders into indecent exposure, and set up Feds for the Cup-winner...that is pure prowess that still stands as nothing short of majestic
This post (and generally all of yours) are full of win. Proven scoring line poster right here bringing the lulz

I'd personally much rather indulge in that conversation than discuss former Lightning pillars pulling vomit inducing orange jerseys over their heads. So yes, a third candidate might be the visitors' bench door, turning in such a world class job of agitating during game 7 that even Jesus himself eventually blew his stack and assaulted it in an uncharacteristic display of raging butthurt.

(That's probably not Top Shelf worthy, but that scene might never get old)
Old 07-20-2013, 06:37 AM
Larry Hirsch's Travel Agent

2004 playoffs in Montreal Vinny Lecavalier's between the legs goal with 16 seconds left. You just don't teach that.
or
Brad Richards goal to win the game in Montreal in OT. Still not sure how he found a way to pot that one.

Both huge plays.

04 Finals in Calgary, at the time happened so fast only after the TV announcers pointed it out a few minutes later did I realize how close it was. Khabi with the right pad save. The alleged "It was in" goal off the skate of a Calgary player sliding to a stop. I say...it was close, but have never seen a good photo of if in fact it did cross the line.

Marty St Louis with a winner in OT against Calgary from a sharp angle in a must win game. Wow.

The Khabi save in game 7 with about 4 minutes to go was my #1. I was in the stands waiting for the net to billow and the red light to come on. I remember thinking that's the series....although there was a last save with a couple seconds left.

Last edited by gphockey; 07-20-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:54 AM

tim -- Thanx...hey, refresh my memory as to when your thread-inspiring stick lift of J.I. (Jesus Iginla) occurred? It wasn't on his final attempt from the left half-wall with two seconds left in Gm 7, was it?

gp -- I totally was thinking of both of those at first, Vinny's between-the-skates impossible tip-in to tie it with 9 seconds left, and Brad's deliberate billiard shot in OT off Theodore's backside...both so awesome, how to decide between those and the Game 7 feats...what a great quandary to have Also IMO a case can be made for Marty's OT winner in Game 6 being #1 in importance of all individual plays in club history, if that's a thing.

nj -- That door-slamming (at 2:56 below) is frantic frustration...so satisfying. Let's wallow a wee bit, shall we:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

So epic it hurts.

Last edited by Top Shelf; 07-21-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:24 AM

Here's one I never saw until today that was kind of surprising...Marty, while stripping his clothes off, takes a penalty shot wearing ONE SKATE (1:50)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:

nj -- That door-slamming (at 2:56 below) is frantic frustration...so satisfying. Let's wallow a wee bit, shall we:

So epic it hurts.
During my team's game last night, we were down 6-2 after a frustrating effort by all of us and the refs (more emphasis on my team). After one of my shifts, my D partner and I sat down and he immediately tried slamming the door multiple times to no avail. I'd be lying if I didn't think of Iginla

I was waiting for him to break his stick over the boards haha.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
During my team's game last night, we were down 6-2 after a frustrating effort by all of us and the refs (more emphasis on my team). After one of my shifts, my D partner and I sat down and he immediately tried slamming the door multiple times to no avail. I'd be lying if I didn't think of Iginla

I was waiting for him to break his stick over the boards haha.
Ha, that's my go to comment when I see a door being slammed. "Calm down Jarome, it's not game seven". Usually met with a "WTF?"
Old 07-21-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Here's one I never saw until today that was kind of surprising...Marty, while stripping his clothes off, takes a penalty shot wearing ONE SKATE (1:50)

+ YouTube Video
That's a classic. I think there's a longer version where he finally scores wearing shower sandals.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:25 PM

It's there at 5:04