BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Rick Dudley's Hairpiece

Default What's the deal with Ohlund?

This guy hasn't played in 2 years and it seems like he's done. Is it just as simple as him milking the Bolts for money or do they really think he's gonna play again? I never see his situation talked about. Does the Lightning pay his full salary during the season or do they get a break from insurance of some kind? He needs to do the right thing and just retire.

Last edited by bucs&bolts; 07-09-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Human Nerf Dart

He won't play again. He's not milking the Bolts as much as he's getting out of the game what he gave it. His ability to walk comfortably and play with his kids into old age...
Old 07-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I think we determined a while back that if he retired it would actually hurt us cap wise.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Medical insurance covers him but the cap hit remains. The right thing is to pay him since he hurt himself while performing.

The new CBA allows for the caphit to go away if the player is put on the long term injury reserve. The lightning aren't losing anything by him attempting his comeback.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

I read sometime back that while contracts USED to be insured, so if a guy went LTIR the ins. co. paid 80% and the team 20%, now extremely few contracts are insured because the exorbitant premiums make it unwise fiscally--is that data erroneous?

Edit to add: Don't know how accurate this info is with the new CBA, but I found it at http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/ar.../t-956653.html
Quote:
...As part of the plan, which the NHL purchases through New York-based insurance broker BWD Group, NHL teams are "required to insure a handful of players through a 'temporary total disability' program administered by the league." Each team "pays a premium based on the salaries of its five highest-paid players, but is free to allocate that coverage how it wishes." NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said that "typically, a team will extend coverage to as many as seven players."
DeCock noted individual teams "are free to pursue additional coverage, but the heavy premiums make it a losing proposition." Rutherford said that "seeking private insurance to cover a longer deal is prohibitively expensive."

Each team pays a premium based on the salaries of its five highest-paid players, but is free to allocate that coverage how it wishes. Typically, a team will extend coverage to as many as seven players, Daly said. Coverage kicks in when a player misses at least 30 games.

Beyond that, individual teams are free to pursue additional coverage, but the heavy premiums make it a losing proposition. To insure a player under the league program, it costs about 5 percent of his salary. To insure additional players, it would cost substantially more.

“Usually it works out that we have five players under the league program,” Rutherford said. “When you get to a certain dollar amount, the premiums keep skyrocketing. I wish it was easier to get each [player] insured, but we can’t do that. …

“If you wanted, you could insure all the contracts, but it would be very expensive.”
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State. --J. Goebbels

Last edited by Top Shelf; 07-08-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Rick Dudley's Hairpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
He won't play again. He's not milking the Bolts as much as he's getting out of the game what he gave it. His ability to walk comfortably and play with his kids into old age...
I guess I didn't quite think about it like that, but it seems like his knees were nearly shot when we signed him. I remember thinking when we signed him that he would be fine for a couple years but then that contract would hurt us. Guess it has.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucs&bolts View Post
This guy hasn't played in 2 years and it seems like he's done. Is it just as simple as him milking the Bolts for money or do the really think he's gonna play again? I never see his situation talked about. Does the Lightning pay his full salary during the season or do they get a break from insurance of some kind? He needs to do the right thing and just retire.
So, if you got hurt on the job and could never work in your profession again, would you just "do the right thing" and not collect your disability just because you wanted to be a stand-up guy to your employer?

You know, he's a real person with real pain, wife, kids, bills, desire to eat and pay for his heating oil. He wants his kids to go to college, etc.

C'mon! Retire you stupid bloodsucker!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:26 AM
Cooper's Law

Should Pronger do the right thing and retire?

As Tim said, they were injured on the job thus they are justly due compensation for that.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Default Ltir

We have to remember that a player on LTIR does not count against the cap, that is why Philly is able to go over the cap. The player must be continuing to rehab and try to come back, I believe is the major codicil.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Cooper's Law

LTIR players do count against the cap. I copied the rule elsewhere. You can exceed the cap only by the amount necessary to replace the player.

What teams do is try and get close to the cap, put the player on LTIR and then replace that player. That gives you the highest amount possible under the rules. But it is not a dollar for dollar increase in the cap.