BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Default Muzzin

Tim, do you think the kings would part with Muzzin for a mid round pick?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:51 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Hint... Matt Niskanen
Ding frickity ding.

Been pumping Niskanen's tires for awhile now. Affordable, still fairly young (26 or 27) righty shot (cap hit a bit north of $2m) who is mobile and can get the puck to his outlets and up-ice efficiently. He's not shy about playing physical (though not a polished hitter like Gudas) and has proven he can handle top-4 minutes. Will be UFA after next season. Could use some of Salo's money to re-sign him.

That said, Niskanen isn't the second-coming. TB would be getting a pretty good #4 who could help stabilize the 2nd pairing alongside Matt Carle at even-strength and eat up PK minutes as well. Can even do spot duty on the PP.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Ding frickity ding.

Been pumping Niskanen's tires for awhile now. Affordable, still fairly young (26 or 27) righty shot (cap hit a bit north of $2m) who is mobile and can get the puck to his outlets and up-ice efficiently. He's not shy about playing physical (though not a polished hitter like Gudas) and has proven he can handle top-4 minutes. Will be UFA after next season. Could use some of Salo's money to re-sign him.

That said, Niskanen isn't the second-coming. TB would be getting a pretty good #4 who could help stabilize the 2nd pairing alongside Matt Carle at even-strength and eat up PK minutes as well. Can even do spot duty on the PP.
Slight tangent, I think we could have gotten Niskanen as part of the Richards package but Feaster chose Jokinen instead
Old 07-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Send a message via AIM to njbolt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Ding frickity ding.

Some would bemoan the addition of another smurf on the roster

I haven't really watched him much, though. Was under the impression he was solidly in 3rd pair category, but seems like he's improved going by what you're saying. Good target if so; based on Carle, you'd think Niskanen would cost north of $4M. Use Aulie's money on him, too

Also, IIRC, Jay wanted Fistric in the Richards deal, but Dallas wasn't having that at the time.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbolt12 View Post
Some would bemoan the addition of another smurf on the roster
6' 0", 200 is a "smurf"? He's not as thick but his build is similar to Gudas.

Quote:
I haven't really watched him much, though. Was under the impression he was solidly in 3rd pair category, but seems like he's improved going by what you're saying.
He was a solid bottom-pairing guy until, I think, the season before last when Martin's injury-plagued season and resulting on-ice struggles meant an opportunity for a greater role and Niskanen ran with it. Again, I'm not saying he's an elite defender in his own third. I'm saying he's capable there and his real strength lies in helping push the puck back into the neutral zone and into the offensive end. Which means defending less. Which is precisely what TB needs.

Quote:
Good target if so; based on Carle, you'd think Niskanen would cost north of $4M.
With Salo (and, yes, Aulie) coming off books next summer and then Brewer (if not bought out next summer) after the following season, plenty of cap space from the D-corps to re-allocate.

Last edited by Mike; 07-11-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:45 AM
John Grahame's Designated Driver

Martin's injuries and Letang's really let Niskanen step up. He's much more capable at pushing the puck up ice than people thought in seasons past. I'd love to have him on the team.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Slight tangent, I think we could have gotten Niskanen as part of the Richards package but Feaster chose Jokinen instead
He also told Dallas he didn't want Fistric.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Which was outstanding at the time. At least we got a great hull when Jokinen was traded for Melichar and Brookbank - all for under-performing due to his father passing. And salary, right Barrie?

Ugh.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:13 PM
BP Staff

I thought it was Fistric that Jay was after in that deal and Dallas said no.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I thought it was Fistric that Jay was after in that deal and Dallas said no.
It may have been, good memory guys
Closed Thread