BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Default 2013 Bolts Off-season

Now that the free agent frenzy has subsided, time to deal with the long two months of the Bolts off-season. Here's a general thread for discussing the off-season.

I'll start... Flyers, Sharks and Penguins are in serious cap hell and must unload one/more players before training camp. I would suggest these teams are prime (but not exclusive) places to look for a possible trade later this summer to help bolster the TBL blueline.

CAR, VAN, LAK, and CHI are also in some difficulty as well.

Thoughts?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:20 PM
John Tortorella's Binky

I just spent the last little while looking through those teams and didn't really see too much in the way of good opportunities honestly. I'll have to look more, but at first glance, I really don't see the "perfect fit" most are looking for.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Hint... Matt Niskanen
Old 07-07-2013, 04:49 PM
John Tortorella's Binky

Yeah, I mean, he seems like a solid fit here, but what would you suggest to acquire him? Since we're looking at trade, the natural thought goes to Malone, but that doesn't really help the Pens out cap-wise at all, unless you're suggesting one of those new-fangled cap hit retention trades? Or are you just thinking of something other than Malone entirely?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Pens gotta shed salary. So pick(s) and/or prospects. All those teams gotta shed salary.

Would think you target trading Malone to a non-cap strapped team
Old 07-07-2013, 05:29 PM
John Tortorella's Binky

Makes sense. It would have us right up against the cap, though. So something else would probably be necessary at that point. Moving Malone is probably the easiest answer to that.

If that's possible, I'd be all for it.

An alternate possibility is something along the lines of Malone + Connolly (or another of our prospects) to Los Angeles for Matt Greene. It saves us some cap space, gets us a guy who should be able to play a top 4 role, he plays physical, defensive hockey, and it gets Los Angeles a big forward who can play physical, they have the cap space to take him on, and it gets them a good, young forward in Connolly. We don't really lose much in that we want to move Malone anyway, and Connolly is one of a plethora of young forward talent we have.

We come out looking like:

FORWARDS
Jonathan Drouin ($3.225m) / Steven Stamkos ($7.500m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Alexander Killorn ($0.875m) / Valtteri Filppula ($5.000m) / Teddy Purcell ($4.500m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.600m) / Tyler Johnson ($0.900m) / Richard Panik ($0.900m)
Pierre-Cedric Labrie ($0.625m) / Nate Thompson ($1.600m) / B.J. Crombeen ($1.150m)
Dana Tyrell ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Sami Salo ($3.750m) / Victor Hedman ($4.000m)
Eric Brewer ($3.875m) / Matt Carle ($5.500m)
Keith Aulie ($0.975m) / Radko Gudas ($0.992m)
Matt Greene ($2.950m) / Mattias Ohlund ($3.607m)
GOALTENDERS
Ben Bishop ($2.300m)
Anders Lindback ($1.800m)
OTHER
Buyout: Vinny Prospal ($1.167m)
Buried: Brian Lee ($0.225m)

The deal is a bit lopsided, though. So LA would probably have to add in a pick or something to make it even out a bit more.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:41 PM
BP Staff

Tough to see Tallinder move for as little as he did, although I'm sure Lou was doing a solid to Henrik by moving him back to Buffalo.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:21 PM
John Tortorella's Binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Tough to see Tallinder move for as little as he did, although I'm sure Lou was doing a solid to Henrik by moving him back to Buffalo.
Yeah, it was kinda funny. I was looking into him as a potential trade target as the trade was announced. So I quickly abandoned that lol.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Default Dmen

Alec Martinez and jake Muzzin are RFAs, would the kings take Malone plus. 3rd for Martinez? The kings only have about 5 million under the cap and we would have to shed salary to get either of the two.wevare only about 2 million under the cap plus the cap relief for Ohlund on LTIR .
Old 07-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Martinez got scratched in the playoffs. I don't follow the Kings closely, but I don't know that he's considered a potential top-4 type of defenseman.
Closed Thread