BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-05-2013, 02:58 PM
John Tortorella's Binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post

Here's a highlight reel of every goal he scored in 2011-12.
If there's something I'm seeing here, it's that he is fast, isn't afraid to drive the net, and he scores from all over. Alright, color me impressed.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Fuck yes! Terrific signing. The guy I wanted all along. Yes, the price and term are high, but that's free agency (see: Carle, Matt). As Schmitz already noted, these FAs (unlike Vinny) are tradeable. More to the point, as has also been noted, is the flexibility that Valtteri gives our top 6.

I was hoping to get him a little cheaper, like 4 years @ $4.5M per, because he had such an unproductive season in 2012-13. But the lockout-shortened season makes for some screwy numbers. Better to rely on your scouts' eyes, and I couldn't be more comfortable with Yzerman's assessment of Filppula.

One thing we need to be aware of after this signing, however, is the need for size and toughness. It's plain to see that Yzerman cares more about skill, but I'm not going to want to get rid of Malone now unless we get a similar player to replace him.

If Yzerman can now address the blueline with a similarly smart move (I'd still love a trade for Alex Edler), we'll be in bidness!
Old 07-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaej View Post
If there's something I'm seeing here, it's that he is fast, isn't afraid to drive the net, and he scores from all over. Alright, color me impressed.
You can see he creates his own chances off the forecheck too, and seems to be ready for the insane passes Datsyuk and Zetterberg feed him. At least in his highlights anyway, lol.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:01 PM
John Tortorella's Binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Fuck yes! Terrific signing. The guy I wanted all along. Yes, the price and term are high, but that's free agency (see: Carle, Matt). As Schmitz already noted, these FAs (unlike Vinny) are tradeable. More to the point, as has also been noted, is the flexibility that Valtteri gives our top 6.

I was hoping to get him a little cheaper, like 4 years @ $4.5M per, because he had such an unproductive season in 2012-13. But the lockout-shortened season makes for some screwy numbers. Better to rely on your scouts' eyes, and I couldn't be more comfortable with Yzerman's assessment of Filppula.

One thing we need to be aware of after this signing, however, is the need for size and toughness. It's plain to see that Yzerman cares more about skill, but I'm not going to want to get rid of Malone now unless we get a similar player to replace him.

If Yzerman can now address the blueline with a similarly smart move (I'd still love a trade for Alex Edler), we'll be in bidness!
I realize he's not our ideal solution, but I think that was part of the reason Labrie got a one-way deal. Might spell the end for Tyrell, I think.
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Send a message via AIM to njbolt12

Quote:
I'd rather have him than Weiss, and I have a feeling his 2011-12 season is representative of what we'll get.
I'm expecting more in the 35-40 range that he's been in for his career, but hope you're right. We'll see how he handles more time at C.
John Tortorella's Binky

Quote:
You can see he creates his own chances off the forecheck too, and seems to be ready for the insane passes Datsyuk and Zetterberg feed him. At least in his highlights anyway, lol.
Indeed. Interested to see him play with the likes of Purcell (people can rag on him all he wants, he's a genius with the puck) and Drouin
Old 07-05-2013, 03:02 PM
John Tortorella's Binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbolt12 View Post
I'm expecting more in the 35-40 range that he's been in for his career, but hope you're right. We'll see how he handles more time at C.
I'm hoping for/expecting a 20-25 goal, 50-55 point season. Given our team's affinity for offense and the contract he signed, I'm disappointed with much less.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here's a highlight reel of every goal he scored in 2011-12.
I've read a lot of comments calling Flippula a perimeter player...I don't see it in that video.

Watching that, I also think that we will have a forward not named Purcell with the ability to gain the blue line.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:04 PM
John Tortorella's Binky

Someone on TSN mentioning that he played hurt most of last year to help in the team and as a result wasn't shooting/scoring much. Hopefully a good offseason gets him rested and ready to rebound
Old 07-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Yeah, I'm happy with it. I too would've liked .5m less and 1 year less, but look at it this way... we paid an extra 7m total to fill the role with a 2nd line centerman, making 2nd line centerman money... all without giving up one of our kids.

I'm perfectly ok with it, despite the crazy market today. All things considered, i'm stoked to see how he melds with everyone and I'm optimistic he's going to be terrific here.