BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

I truly enjoy these discussions, and of course they are preliminary. Good news is, as long as we approach them with flexibility in mind, there's never too early a time to being "Rosterbating" at the risk of being crude.

Regardless, changes are coming, and I honestly can't wait to see them. Should be a fun ride, full of intrigue, and... probably beer.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
For defense, assume Yzerman will look to acquire a Top-4 defenseman via trade (Gilbert, Ballard, Stuart, Meszaros, Regehr, Schultz, Phaneuf) or free agency (Zidlicky, Clitsome...).
No Meszaros, yes please Phaneuf please if there are any hockey gods at all skating around in heaven please. And, many thanks for juxtaposing those last two names

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post
...from where I sit [Connolly] is the replacement for Purcell...
Now Purcell is being replaced again? ← Lazarus the Horse must have risen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
I think it is important to remember how LTIR actually work (from CapGeek):

Teams receive cap relief when a player is considered to have a "bona-fide long-term injury" injuries that cause a player to miss at least 10 games or 24 days. This is one of the most commonly misunderstood aspects of the CBA.

Just because a player is on LTIR does not automatically grant the team extra cap space. In the event a player is placed on LTIR, his cap hit still counts toward the team's overall cap payroll. Relief only comes if replacing the player's salary pushes the team's cap payroll to date over the cap. The amount of relief is limited to the amount the team has gone over the cap (less the amount of payroll room the team had at the time the LTIR transaction took place), not the entire amount of the injured player's salary.
Thanks for the clarification DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Someone tell me why we're doing this when we're just about three days from knowing which RFAs got QOs?
Fun? Boredom relief? Anticipation?

why not
Old 07-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Now Purcell is being replaced again? ← Lazarus the Horse must have risen
Whatever all I said is if you need to trade and make $$$$ available Purcell at 4.5 will do that trick to take in another FA. I'm of the opinion that Purcell does not fit the style of what Cooper wants. Connolly is more suited to that style at a discount and 5/6 years younger.
Again just an opinion.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Default Rationale

Bolthed: just to clarify, I don't like cornflakes so pee away. .
Anyway the reason I started this thread was to engender a conversation and debate on who wil be on the team and how it may look in late September. I realize it is early, but I was hoping to create an opportunity to discuss different lines and as well as possible additions to the team, thus the use of wild cards.
I hope that helps, oh and it is supposed to be fun.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Well, the frenzy should begin tomorrow even though free agency officially kicks off at noon on Friday. July 3 begins a two-day negotiating window with other teams' UFAs, so you know that means half of the best FAs will be locked in advance.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post
Whatever all I said is if you need to trade and make $$$$ available Purcell at 4.5 will do that trick to take in another FA. I'm of the opinion that Purcell does not fit the style of what Cooper wants. Connolly is more suited to that style at a discount and 5/6 years younger.
Again just an opinion.
I would agree with this if Vinny wasn't bought out. Now I think he stays
Old 07-03-2013, 09:08 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
I understand that when Erne number was pulled from the hat there was a silent OHhhhhhhhhhh YEAAAAAAHHHHh from the coach.
You sure that was Cooper? Erne himself is more the spitting image of the Kool-Aid man than coach is.

I would encourage everyone who is penciling Drouin onto the first line to look at how Cooper handled Palat and Namestnikov the past 2 seasons in Norfolk and Syracuse. Palat and Namesy are kind of poor man's comparables to Drouin in that they're both average sized playmakers with tricky 1 on 1 ability and who came to the table with a lack of upper body strength. Cooper used those guys sparingly in the first half of their rookie seasons until they acclimated to the pros and they blew up in the second half and playoffs. I expect Rookie Whisperer to handle Drouin the same way.

Guessing the lines will be something like:

St. Louis/Stamkos/Purcell
Malone/UFA or Trade/Killorn
Pyatt/Thompson/Crombeen
Palat/Johnson/Panik
Drouin/Labrie

Hedman/Salo
Brewer/Carle
UFA or Trade/Gudas
Aulie (Shit)

Bishop
Lindback

The magic of Malone being a china doll is once he goes down, it creates a natural opening for Drouin in the lineup. The not so magical part of that is a guy like Malone might be an ideal veteran linemate for Drouin who can protect him a bit and whose game compliments Drouin's nicely. There may be a temptation to ice a line of Drouin/Killorn/Malone, or something along those lines, but I expect Stevie Y and Cooper to fight that temptation and get another veteran center. 3 question marks on that line isn't wise. That's especially the case if they bring up the PTP'ers en masse.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Barnacles Shout Out

Pete, what you suggested in terms of how Cooper handles Drouin makes total sense to me. The only thing we as a more die hard and perhaps knowledgeable group (concerning prospect development) need to do is set expectations with those we know in the mainstream of fans who will look at a slow 1st half of the year for Drouin and start screaming that SY should have taken Jones. It will happen and as much as we can prepare other fans for this and level set can only help.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Puppa Scoopah

Default we have to get one more C from FA

and he needs to be a 2C with our current roster population of C's. Thompson is not going to cut the mustard as 2C. I think Malone will make the year with minimal days off, just because he is more needed this year than any other time in his life and I think he is a step up guy. Lots of possible additions to the roster by the time October rolls around and that should include a 2C that we can afford.

MSL/Stamkos/Killorn
Malone/2C to be determined (TJ current default)/Purcell
Palat/Thompson/Panik
JT Brown/Namestnikov/Tyrell

Hedman/Carle
Salo/Brewer
Gudas/Barberio
Aulie

Lindback
Bishop
Old 07-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Default What about?

Bolts37205...what about Connolly and Drouin?