Old 07-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Steve Ludzik's Leisure Suit Vest

with the way his defensive play picked up during the playoffs
and with the offense he can bring, I think Brown pushes Tyrell
of a spot - just my .02
Old 07-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

As my post above pointed out, whether or not there is money to sign a #2 FA center depends on whether or not the team can (wants to) trade Malone unless they want to spend beyond the cap and take Ohlund's LTIR benefit. Even then, it's tight to get two quality players.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Can't deny that we would be selling low if we deal Connolly this summer. He's a No. 1 pick who posted strong numbers in the AHL. The Lightning would be better served putting him on the 2nd line/2nd pp unit with some talented linemates and then trade him if he doesn't fit into the team's plans.

But maybe Yzerman and Co. have seen enough already. Maybe the time to strike is now. Connolly may be 21, but he's played two professional seasons, one in the NHL. Gotta have some faith in our braintrust to judge talent or else this whole team-building endeavor is sunk before it launches. So until I see Connolly show me something at the NHL level for more than one odd shift per game (ie. consistent production and/or puck possession), I will maintain that Killorn and Panik are ahead of him. Hell, Johnson and Palat showed more in their callups last season. That makes Connolly trade bait.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Rick Dudley's Hairpiece

Default Lee

Lee would likely just be getting back on the ice at the end of the season and not likely to be able to do much but condition/rehab before the season ends. Is he eligible to go LTIR? That would be another $1.1 that could go somewhere else.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Cooper's Law

Hard to improve on Tim's analysis. Given that it is only July 1 and free agency hasn't even started, it's really not possible to know who is going to be on the team when training camp starts. But if we started today:

Forwards: St. Louis, Stamkos, Purcell, Malone, Killorn, Connolly, Palat, Johnson, Panik, Pyatt, Thompson, Crombeen, Drouin and Tyrell. That's 14, so one either stays in Syracuse (juniors if Drouin) or is traded.

Defense: Carle, Hedman, Brewer, Salo, Aulie, Gudas and Barberio.

Bishop and Lindback

That gives you one too many forwards and one too few defensemen since I don't think Barberio is ready.

When I plug that into CapGeeks calculator, I come up with about $2 million in remaining cap space. You save $3.5 by keeping Drouin in juniors; $4.5 million by eliminating Malone and $1.6 by eliminating Connolly. Putting your roster in CapGeek really illustrates why Vinny was bought out.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Cooper's Law

I think it is important to remember how LTIR actually work (from CapGeek):

Teams receive cap relief when a player is considered to have a "bona-fide long-term injury" injuries that cause a player to miss at least 10 games or 24 days. This is one of the most commonly misunderstood aspects of the CBA.

Just because a player is on LTIR does not automatically grant the team extra cap space. In the event a player is placed on LTIR, his cap hit still counts toward the team's overall cap payroll. Relief only comes if replacing the player's salary pushes the team's cap payroll to date over the cap. The amount of relief is limited to the amount the team has gone over the cap (less the amount of payroll room the team had at the time the LTIR transaction took place), not the entire amount of the injured player's salary.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
I think it is important to remember how LTIR actually work (from CapGeek):

Teams receive cap relief when a player is considered to have a "bona-fide long-term injury" injuries that cause a player to miss at least 10 games or 24 days. This is one of the most commonly misunderstood aspects of the CBA.

Just because a player is on LTIR does not automatically grant the team extra cap space. In the event a player is placed on LTIR, his cap hit still counts toward the team's overall cap payroll. Relief only comes if replacing the player's salary pushes the team's cap payroll to date over the cap. The amount of relief is limited to the amount the team has gone over the cap (less the amount of payroll room the team had at the time the LTIR transaction took place), not the entire amount of the injured player's salary.
Good analysis Donnie and the complexity is mind boggling for sure.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Hard to improve on Tim's analysis. Given that it is only July 1 and free agency hasn't even started, it's really not possible to know who is going to be on the team when training camp starts. But if we started today:

Forwards: St. Louis, Stamkos, Purcell, Malone, Killorn, Connolly, Palat, Johnson, Panik, Pyatt, Thompson, Crombeen, Drouin and Tyrell. That's 14, so one either stays in Syracuse (juniors if Drouin) or is traded.

Defense: Carle, Hedman, Brewer, Salo, Aulie, Gudas and Barberio.

Bishop and Lindback

That gives you one too many forwards and one too few defensemen since I don't think Barberio is ready.

When I plug that into CapGeeks calculator, I come up with about $2 million in remaining cap space. You save $3.5 by keeping Drouin in juniors; $4.5 million by eliminating Malone and $1.6 by eliminating Connolly. Putting your roster in CapGeek really illustrates why Vinny was bought out.
Korobov might be the better fit on 'D' if you are looking for another 'd'. Barberio in the AHL Cup games I attended did not look NHL ready at this time.
Sustr actually looked better but he needs a good year in the AHL to fine tune that big body and do some real training. Possibly he like Killorn last year could play half the season in the AHL and then be a call up for injury protection.

Tyrell vs Brown - Speed about the same, tenacity on the puck edge Tyrell. Shooting Brown looks to be the better scorer. Tyrell at this point better defensively than Brown but if you have shutdown 'd' for the PK them maybe Tyrell is expendable. It is a game of numbers from here.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post
Tyrell vs Brown - Speed about the same, tenacity on the puck edge Tyrell. Shooting Brown looks to be the better scorer. Tyrell at this point better defensively than Brown but if you have shutdown 'd' for the PK them maybe Tyrell is expendable. It is a game of numbers from here.
One of those numbers is that Tyrell is a $600,000 cap hit. Brown is a $1.35 million cap hit.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Someone tell me why we're doing this when we're just about three days from knowing which RFAs got QOs?

Sorry, don't mean to pee in anyone's cornflakes. But to me, the real fun will be speculating on the Bolts opening day roster when we know who's actually available.

p.s. - I want Filppula.