BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Default Lineup for 13-14

I figured I might as well start this now and give us all a chance to have some fun. We are going to be a young team this year and these guys should be fun to watch.

Stamkos. Purcell. Drouin
Panik. Killorn. MSL
Palat. TJ. Connolly
Crombeen. Nate. Pyatt

Wild cards: JT Brown, Malone Tyrell, Erne? Or FA acquisition: Dave Clarkson?

Hedman. Gudas
Carle. Brewer
Salo. Aulie
Sustr? Barberio? Or acquisition

Bishop. Lindback.

Feels real weird not to put VL in the lineup. Oh well. Ok let's have some fun...have at it.

Last edited by aapbolt; 07-01-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Tim Taylor's WrapAround

I love the recent success of our prospects, but that is a forward group where 50% of them are only recently removed from the AHL. I don't think they should rush Drouin, it didn't work well for Connolly. I think Yzerman needs to bring in one scoring liner and one checking line forward to balance the youth with experience, help show the young guys how to succeed at this level. I also don't think we should have a third line of rookies try to shut down top NHL competition every night.

I'm hoping to see something like:

Purcell -Stamkos - Marty
(NHL Veteran)\Killorn - (NHL Veteran)\Killorn - Panik\Connolly
Malone - Nate - (NHL Veteran)
Palat - TJ - Pyatt

Malone gives us some experience and scoring depth on the third, but we can count on him missing half the season at least, plus he's slowing down, so I think we need another 2nd/3rd line vet there as well.

I love TJ on faceoffs, but again, don't want to ask a rookie to shutdown opposing number 1 lines.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice

??? - Stamkos - MSL
^Drouin/Killorn^ - ??? - Purcell
Malone/Palat - TJ. - Connolly/Panik
Crombeen - Nate - Pyatt

Wild cards: Aces Wild

Hedman - Carle
??? (Wishing/hoping) Brewer
Salo. Aulie
Sustr / ???

Bishop. Lindback.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Send a message via AIM to njbolt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrice View Post
??? - Stamkos - MSL
^Drouin/Killorn^ - ??? - Purcell
Malone/Palat - TJ. - Connolly/Panik
Crombeen - Nate - Pyatt

Wild cards: Aces Wild

Hedman - Carle
Salo. Aulie
Sustr / ???

Bishop. Lindback.
No Gudas? Was he already eaten by Erne?

I'd like to roll the PTP line together. Killorn will definitely be in this group. Drouin might make the jump. That means you just have to plug the gaping hole at C, possibly pick up / promote another F (Connolly if he's not moved) depending how Drouin shakes out, ideally add a top 4 D, and get someone who can actually fight for the 13th forward spot.

Ideally Aulie fills in for Salo for half the season in which he's injured.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Default Thought

Njbolt. I thought Erne was still digesting that Greek restaurant?
Old 07-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbolt12 View Post
No Gudas? Was he already eaten by Erne?
OOOOOpsie!

Hedman - Carle
^Gudas - Salo^
Aulie - Sustr / ???
Old 07-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

IMO, too early to start slotting full rosters because there is definitely some action yet to be done by Yzerman this summer. But let's the groundwork:

Organizational depth chart at: http://boltprospects.com/depth

Organization currently has 40 players under contract which includes Slater Koekkoek and Reto Suri who probably will get an ELC slide by playing next season in juniors and in Europe, respectively. It also includes Mattias Ohlund, who will likely once again occupy a LTIR slot.

Safe to assume Brown, Barberio, and Sexton will get new contracts as they were qualified today. Also safe to assume that Drouin will get a contract as well, and he's pretty much a lock for the NHL roster. And, remember, as a top pick, Drouin will eat about $3.8M in cap space with a rookie max contract.

There's a good chance that Kristers Gudlevskis will get a contract as the org's #4 or #5 GT, and which one depends on if Desjardins are someone similar is signed. I think there's a chance Joel Vermin is signed as well, since he's a 21 year old overager and can provide some forward depth in Syracuse while getting NA development.

I'm not jumping the gun on Malone and cutting him out of the roster picture just yet. I believe he'll be moved sometime this summer, but there's a lot of stuff that needs to line up for that to happen.

Instead of slotting lines, let's just slot the obvious players (one-way contracts and locked prospects) and see where the holes are:

TAMPA BAY

Forward (10): Stamkos, St. Louis, Purcell, Killorn, Malone, Thompson, Crombeen, Pyatt, Tyrell, Drouin

Defense (6): Hedman, Carle, Salo, Brewer, Gudas, Aulie

Goaltending (2): Bishop, Lindback

IR (2): Ohlund, Lee

So, let's start with forwards and assume Yzerman is going to target a #2 center via free agency (e.g. Ribeiro, Elias, Roy, Antropov) or trade (e.g. Seguin). That still leaves 3 slots for promotion from within among Johnson, Connolly, Panik, Palat, and Brown. Of course, one or more of those prospect will likely be traded in a package for a Top-4 defenseman (see below).

For defense, assume Yzerman will look to acquire a Top-4 defenseman via trade (Gilbert, Ballard, Stuart, Meszaros, Regehr, Schultz, Phaneuf) or free agency (Zidlicky, Clitsome, Ference, Scuderi, Rozsival). This will push Brewer/Salo into a bottom pair role and Aulie into the #7 slot. For a trade, my examples are from teams that are cap-strapped and have tradeable defensemen with cap hits of $3M+. These aren't ideal acquisitions, but IMO realistic acquisition opportunities.

So... how much do we have to spend on #2 center and a Top-4 defenseman?

Assuming Drouin signs for rookie max, Connolly is part of a trade package, Johnson, Palat, and Panik joins the forward corps, the Bolts spend to the cap in order to gain the benefit of an Ohlund LTIR, the Bolts would have:

~$3.1M in free cap space + $3.6M in Ohlund LTIR == ~$6.7M to spend on a #2 center and a Top-4 defenseman.

As an alternative, if Malone can be moved instead and Connolly retained, TBL would gain ~$3M additional cap space or about ~$10M total. But, moving Malone will be troublesome for one big reason: you won't be able to move Malone to a cap-strapped team, but these are generally the "contender" teams that he would likely provide in the 12-team list of teams he'd go to per his Limited NTC. So, for a Malone trade for a defenseman, you are looking for a non-cap strapped team that is a "contender" who has a tradeable defenseman. There's a couple of teams that might fit that bill: DET (Coliaccovo, Quincey), NJD (Tallinder), PHX* (Yandle, Klesla).

The other alternative is trading both Malone and Connolly which gives you ~$12M in cap space for a #2 center and a Top-4 defenseman. Maybe do a pure salary dump of Malone to a non-strapped "contender" like OTT, STL, NJD, or DET. Then packaging Connolly and a pick to a cap-strapped team for a defenseman.

The steely-eyed cold mofo alternative is to try to offer sheet a young defenseman on a cap-strapped team: MIN (Spurgeon, Cuma), VAN (Tanev), WSH (Alzner), TOR (Gunnarsson). or CHI (Leddy).
Old 07-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Swedish Battle Tank

Didn't the Lightning say they wanted to try Purcelll at center?
Old 07-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
The steely-eyed cold mofo alternative is to try to offer sheet a young defenseman on a cap-strapped team: MIN (Spurgeon, Cuma), VAN (Tanev), WSH (Alzner), TOR (Gunnarsson). or CHI (Leddy).
If the Lightning were ever in a position to potentially throw out an offer sheet, I imagine this summer could be it, although the draft pick compensation may be too rich depending on the size of the offer.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Side View Post
Didn't the Lightning say they wanted to try Purcelll at center?
Too many moving parts here to try to establish a lineup.
I would like to here what Cooper is looking for and what he wants to give up. I understand that when Erne number was pulled from the hat there was a silent OHhhhhhhhhhh YEAAAAAAHHHHh from the coach.

Purcell at center??///// please he can barely hang on to a puck when touched never mind the faceoff circle.
I would look to killorn to play his natural position of Center. Give him a shot..

Non tradeable from the forwards - Panic and if you are counting on Johnson. Not sure Yzerman will give up on Connolly yet and Cooper really liked his development last year. Connoly's best year yet.
He has already left for training with Stamkos in the Robert's camp. Has learned how to eat and take care of himself physically. He mentioned in an interview he was looking to put on another 10 pounds of muscle this summer that is dedication as we know how tough that can be to accomplish. A more physical upper body and leg strength will suit him just fine. Remember he's only 21 and just coming out the door with skill.
Those attributes worked great this year and from where I sit he is the replacement for Purcell and a lot tougher going forward.

Mr Stamkos introduce Erne to Roberts ..... pay for the tutelage of the young lad and he will clean the clock of anything that might come your way.