BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 06-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Swedish Battle Tank

I understand the contract was a burden, but Yzerman must have a plan in mind. You don't buy out one of your top forwards, and shop another top 6 forward in Malone without a plan to fill those spots ASAP.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
If Richards gets bought out, sign him?
Lot's of whining I'm sure for the next week or so but it had to happen to get out of cap hell. He is a decent 3 - 4mil a year guy but not 7.7 for 7 more years.

This was a business decision, not easy but the correct one.

Malone will be traded IMHO he is the next target.

Thank you Vinny for 04.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Larry Hirsch's Travel Agent

Vinny, You are a class act and just an icon in this area. Thanks for all you have done, you were awesome and will be missed. I will NEVER forget when you raised that cup.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...132846855.html

Raising the Cup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u-irL9n0bc

Last edited by gphockey; 06-27-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

It's been a lot of fun watching the asshole out on the ice. Thanks a lot, Vinny. Hope to see you back in a few years.

Ugh.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Default Wow

I am just stunned by this. After reading the analysis here on the costs and what we would have to do to replace him I did not think it would be in the teams best interests to buy him out. It will take awhile for me to believe this is the correct move, even a correct business decision. We lose him and just get some cap space....that is it? Really sad.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

what the fucking fuck?

thought we had a whole thread that completely dissected this idea and tossed it in the scrap bucket

edit to add: This is worse than the "trade-Vinny" rumor mongers had ever...monged. At least in their screwball scenarios we traded him for someone else. Here we lose him but get nobody in return, just dollar sign$ on a sheet of paper

sad, sad day for hockey...in Tampa Bay especially, but everywhere

There used to be a time when it was a slam-dunk given, but now I wonder if they even retire his jersey...and if they do, if it'll have any damn black on it anywhere (the traditional color of mourning, it'd be only fitting)

For Yzerman not to be forever remembered merely as "the GM who got rid of Vinny Lecavalier", this has to ultimately work out for us massively (meaning, we have to win another Cup while he's GM). Merely shuffling through coaches, goalies and franchise players at the end of each cellar-dwelling season, hoping something might work out, won't cut it; it's now "Cup or nothing" like it's never been before in Tampa Bay. SFY (Steve Fucking Yzerman) has cast his lot now. Nothing less than the Cup will do, and who can honestly say it looks like THAT's happening any time soon. Watching teams like CHI and BOS, we are ten thousand miles away from their level with or without Lecavalier. Of course, to be fair, in 03-04 it didn't look like we would win either (Melrose is still betting Calgary can pull it out )
So enemy nations can literally control our movie releases outright, from anywhere, with the click of a mouse. What's next--presumably Muslims exploding theaters nationwide, wiping out Hollywood completely. No big loss really, but it sets a dangerous precedent: What if they decide they don't like hockey next??

Last edited by Top Shelf; 06-27-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
what the fucking fuck?

thought we had a whole thread that completely dissected this idea and tossed it in the scrap bucket
Yzerman didn't read it
Old 06-27-2013, 09:22 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
what the fucking fuck?

The conclusion was it seemed very unlikely due to the exorbitant cost. A lot of my own original posts formed the foundation of the article on Vinny's future I wrote for the site. From the article:

Quote:
In short, Lecavalier retiring is a manageable situation if the club is prepared (ideally with an inexpensive replacement already groomed to to step into whatever role Lecavalier would be playing by this time) for the possibility.

If, though, Yzerman is determined to get out from under the burden of a massive contract he inherited in order to establish as much cap flexibility as possible for the long-term and Vinik has no objection to footing the bill, there is no better, no more expedient alternative to the incredibly expensive proposition of buying out (and replacing) Lecavalier now or next summer. Preference over when to do so might then come down to how (free-agency, trade or promoting from within) to replace Lecavalier going forward.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Yeah I'm just amazed at Vinik willing to spend that much too. Dude is serious about winning long term. That much is clear. Better hope Yzerman knows what he's doing next though.

Gonna miss Vinny a lot. Thanks for everything #4 and you'll always be welcome back!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Keefamania!

Well now I know why my season ticket price was increased.

I'll go on record as saying I don't like this at all.

Also just received this email from the Bolts

"Dear Ricky,

I am writing to inform you that we have elected to "buy-out" the contract of Vincent Lecavalier today. Working under the parameters set forth in the new collective bargaining agreement (CBA), each National Hockey League team is permitted two "compliance buy-outs" over the next two years. We have elected to use one of these buyouts to better position ourselves to operate under this new CBA. In buying-out Vinny's contract we are creating approximately $7.7 million of salary cap space for each of the next seven seasons as his contract will no longer count against the team's cap.

The decision to part ways with Vinny was not made easily. In fact, it will cost the Lightning (and owner Jeff Vinik) nearly $32.7 million over the next 14 years. However, after much internal deliberation, we believe this will prove to be a pivotal move for us as we strive to achieve our long term goal of competing at the highest level year-in, year-out.

We will continue to have the ability to spend to the salary cap each season, but the "cap-hit" created by Vinny's contract is proving to be prohibitive as we model roster possibilities for 2013-14 and beyond. The economics and structure of the CBA are necessitating this decision, but we at the Lightning are excited at the newly-created opportunities this presents to us.

As we release Vinny of his obligation to play for the Tampa Bay Lightning, we acknowledge and thank him for his incredible accomplishments on and off the ice for the Lightning, our fans and the Tampa Bay community. Since being drafted in 1998, Vinny has been a significant reason for many of the Lightning's past successes, including the 2004 Stanley Cup, and his contributions to the people of Tampa Bay have been immeasurable. It was an honor for me personally to recognize him for 1,000 career games played with the Lightning this past season.

Vinny will always be considered a part of the Tampa Bay Lightning family and his legacy will be celebrated at every opportunity. In fact, we have already decided to honor him as a Lightning Community Hero at his first game back in the Tampa Bay Times Forum with his new team, recognizing him for his work with the Vinny Lecavalier Foundation. Please join with me in wishing Vinny all the best as he moves on to the next chapter in his playing career.

We appreciate your continued investment as a season ticket member and I remain steadfast in my optimism for our future. We are committed to building a franchise focused on draft and development; best positioning us for sustained long-term success. The upcoming NHL Entry Draft offers us an opportunity to add a significant piece to our core and we look forward to the start of training camp in September.

Thank you for your support.

Best Regards,

Steve Yzerman
Vice President and General Manager"