BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 05-29-2013, 08:53 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Bring him here as an assistant.

I know that's not going to happen but it would be entertaining as hell to see.
Torts' days as an assistant are over. That said, I am a believer that some of these guys from the past need to be brought back into the organization to fill front office roles, and Torts has always been one of the guys I wanted back.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

What kind of role though? He doesn't seem like a scouting sort or anything. I'd rather not have Cooper worry about a Stanley Cup winning coach lurking in the wings either.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Cooper's Law

Do you think he would be good at player development?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpace View Post
Do you think he would be good at player development?
Good god, no.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:35 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Good god, no.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

How's Kreider and JT Miller comin' along?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
What kind of role though?
No idea. Maybe a pro scout.

I just know the Flyers organization has always kept those ex-Flyers guys around the team and I would like to see this organization build a group of ex-Lightning guys around on the staff who care about the franchise and aren't just a bunch of mercenaries here for a check. So, yeah, someday I'd like to see Torts back in some capacity and Feaster, etc etc just like I'd like to see Vinny and Marty stick around when their playing days are over and I like seeing guys like Cullimore and the like still hanging around the fringes doing community work.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:13 AM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
No idea. Maybe a pro scout.

I just know the Flyers organization has always kept those ex-Flyers guys around the team and I would like to see this organization build a group of ex-Lightning guys around on the staff who care about the franchise and aren't just a bunch of mercenaries here for a check. So, yeah, someday I'd like to see Torts back in some capacity and Feaster, etc etc just like I'd like to see Vinny and Marty stick around when their playing days are over and I like seeing guys like Cullimore and the like still hanging around the fringes doing community work.
I recall shortly after his purchase of the team a group of us meeting with Mr. Vinik and his introduction to us - these are all things that he spoke of.

Items he spoke of:
  • Hire top line coaches and Management - Brisebois, Thomas, 'Y', Boucher, Cooper.
  • Build an organization bottom up - See draft picks and AHL Cup
  • Redo the facility - What a change from the entrances, to the Organ
  • Become involved in the Community - Community involvement of team, players, working staff and his game by game donation to local charities.
  • World class scouting staff - Those draft picks sure do look good in Bolt Blue
  • Respect the history of the team - Keeps, Phil, Andy, Bradley, Dingman. 20th anniversary year was a celebration of the team history. All the pictures and plaques of former players in the halls.
  • Build an organization that competes for the cup / playoff's each and every year. - We had a taste year one..... many more to come.

We may not agree with all the results - last two years awful but the direction of the boat has changed and there can be no denying the significant improvements. To that Pete we all should send kudo's to Mr. Vinik for a job well done.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:16 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post
I recall shortly after his purchase of the team a group of us meeting with Mr. Vinik and his introduction to us - these are all things that he spoke of.

Items he spoke of:
  • Hire top line coaches and Management - Brisebois, Thomas, 'Y', Boucher, Cooper.
  • Build an organization bottom up - See draft picks and AHL Cup
  • Redo the facility - What a change from the entrances, to the Organ
  • Become involved in the Community - Community involvement of team, players, working staff and his game by game donation to local charities.
  • World class scouting staff - Those draft picks sure do look good in Bolt Black & Blue
  • Respect the history of the team - Keeps, Phil, Andy, Bradley, Dingman. 20th anniversary year was a celebration of the team history. All the pictures and plaques of former players in the halls.
  • Build an organization that competes for the cup / playoff's each and every year. - We had a taste year one..... many more to come.

We may not agree with all the results - last two years awful but the direction of the boat has changed and there can be no denying the significant improvements. To that Pete we all should send kudo's to Mr. Vinik for a job well done.
ftfy - great post btw
Old 05-30-2013, 07:27 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapbolt View Post
I feel sorry for Torts but he had to know this might happen, especially after his use of salty language on TV.
What??! After all these years of him and every other coach out there doing it, WTF could he have possibly said that now, finally, was a last straw so ear-melting and child-corrupting it got him fired?? That's an epithet I need to add to my vocabulary pronto!

I have no factual data as a basis, but I'm gonna go with he got fired because of the team's disappointing performance in the reg. season and playoffs. Had they continued winning & gone to the Final, there's no G.D. M.F'in obscenity in the entire lexicon of the Urban Dictionary that would've gotten him canned, is there? Fined, maybe, but not fired

Which reminds me...why aren't they on a delay? I recall recently a PBP announcer having to apologize for one of the players yelling fuck on TV...