BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 06-06-2013, 05:52 AM
Larry Hirsch's Travel Agent

What am I talking about....Hooking at 01:50 creates turnover and Bruins win it.
All day long we can bring up examples like this in the playoffs.

When are the officials going to call the game in a fair and consistant manner.
Thats what THEY get PAID for.

I will miss some, but give me a whistle, I can take that kind of cash to blow calls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuqAslzW9EA

The Boston Bruins' overtime Game 7 win in the NHL Eastern Conference Quarterfinal over the Toronto Maple Leafs was a heart-stopper. Check out official video of NESN's play-by-play man, Jack Edwards, and color analyst, Andy Brickley, on the call for Patrice Bergeron's game-winning goal in sudden-death overtime at TD Garden.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NVmIsUtAv8

Last edited by gphockey; 06-06-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Malkin hooked Jagr as well.

The officiating has been in the toilet all season, why think it'll suddenly change?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Eric Perrin's Dentist

[quote=KyleFreadrich43;148612]Malkin hooked Jagr as well. QUOTE]

This. Great play by Marchant and Bergeron... I watch the players, not the officials. Its part of the game- Bad calls, non calls been going on for the 40 years I've been watching... Further, anyone on this board that thinks they can go officiate an NHL playoff game needs to pass a drug test before being considered....(jk)
the Penguini's had more than enough chances they didn't bury- they hooked and slashed their way through the 1.5 OT's just as boston did...

Last edited by sandalskate; 06-06-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Send a message via AIM to njbolt12

[quote=sandalskate;148613]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
Malkin hooked Jagr as well. QUOTE]

This. Great play by Marchant and Bergeron... I watch the players, not the officials. Its part of the game- Bad calls, non calls been going on for the 40 years I've been watching... Further, anyonbe on this board that thinks they can go officiate an NHL playoff game needs to pass a drug test before being considered....(jk)
Yup, that play roughly cancelled out, but a lot was being let go the whole game. A somewhat consistent "let them play" environment. Now, that being said, the Penguins lost, but they got more favorable treatment all night long; blind eyes were seemingly turned towards Letang (what a POS, seriously) and Crosby, and the Bruins got whistled for some rather soft conspiracy theory friendly infractions. And don't get me wrong, the Bruins have some punks too but they played more in control.

That being said, it's very easy to bag on the overall quality of officiating and say it generally sucks when you're sitting a a computer and watching the game. Being an NHL - or hell, any level - of ref is brutally difficult. Easily the most challenging officiating duties of any sport. NHL refs have to make split second decisions in the midst of skating around the fastest game on the planet, and they don't get the birds eye TV view and immediate replays that the fan sees. I see a lot of "mistakes" being made by the refs that certainly lends itself to conspiracy theories if you're not completely neutral. Whether that is the result of human error or influence is not something I see as so black and white.

I do, however, think the NHL needs to outline stronger points of emphasis in terms of what's going to be called. At the same time, players and coaches have to be savvy enough to see how a game is being called and toe / cross the line accordingly. Personally I'd like to find a middle ground - even in the playoffs - between a glorified special teams game and an "anything goes" paradigm.

Haven't had enough coffee yet so that's about as coherent a rant I can contribute right now
Old 06-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphockey View Post
What am I talking about....Hooking at 01:50 creates turnover and Bruins win it.
All day long we can bring up examples like this in the playoffs.

When are the officials going to call the game in a fair and consistant manner.
Thats what THEY get PAID for.

I will miss some, but give me a whistle, I can take that kind of cash to blow calls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuqAslzW9EA
+1...Bet you could've even blown this one skating in sandals (BTW skate, he isn't saying he could go out and do a good job reffing an NHL playoff game; he's saying he could go out and do a horrible job. Like the real guy did.)

If you look closely what Malkin did wasn't a hook, it was a legal stick lift. What Jagr did wasn't a hook either, in old-time OT hockey (or even reg season), but since 2005, that's a perfect textbook example of "stick parallel to the ice" used to control a player...the easy response might be, refs got tired, didn't want a 3OT, deliberately handed the game to the Bruins. But in reality humans are these grossly imperfect things that make really bad mistakes on any given day, even when they shouldn't; this guy just happened to do it on international TV. I mean, we all see the one-handed hooks they call lately on breakaways because the parallel stick lightly touched the attacker, resulting in a penalty shot; by contrast this was obvious and blatant, per the rule as interpreted since '05. It's the maddening inconsistency we all rail against.

Unbelievably this post from 2008, which is actually relevant and thoughtful, exists on hf.
Quote:
Is anyone else fed up with the so-called "hooking" calls since the lockout? Especially this season, refs will call any player who gets his stick parallel to the ice and makes any sort of contact with the opposing player for hooking, and quite frankly, I'm getting frustrated with it. Even clean, well executed stick-lifts are getting called now, simply because of the NHL's very loose definition of hooking....No longer should a stick parallel to the ice immediately require a call, actual obstruction to the player's progress should have to take place before a call is made.
And it did.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Swedish Battle Tank

As the two overtime periods went along all the players were tired and it showed in their play. When you get tired you make some very stupid plays. The officials, I am sure, just wanted to keep the play moving hoping someone would score.

But that was a huge play by Jgar and a highlight goal.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
...the easy response might be, refs got tired, didn't want a 3OT...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Side View Post
When you get tired you make some very stupid plays. The officials, I am sure, just wanted to keep the play moving hoping someone would score.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Barry Melrose's Hairstylist

There was a play in last nights Hawks-Kings game (3rd period I believe) where there was a blatant crosscheck to Toews back, basically in front of one of the refs and nothing called. Forget the fact that they were letting the little stuff go, but come on. Right in front of you, after the play is blown dead and you don't see anything???
Old 06-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Larry Hirsch's Travel Agent

HOW is THAT NOT a trip? Oh my, give me some skates and an armband.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:56 AM

If they would just officiate like this in the regular season I'd be cool with it, instead of calling every little ticky-tacky touch a foul. I imagine the guys who played during the former era just having their eyes roll back in their head and falling out of their chair when they see a one-handed touch of a guy's pants or arm called "hooking", when they used to have to tow water-skiers down the ice to just get a shot on net. One-handed hooking...just the concept is alien. Where the hell did that even come from...that, and calling "interference" when checking the puck carrier.

I'd like to see them just "let it go" a time or two when the puck accidentally goes over the glass...