BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Top Shelf's Avatar
Top Shelf Top Shelf is offline
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,179
Default

If refs called a penalty each time a foul occurred, there would be absolutely no flow to the game, just an endless succession of whistles every ten seconds and full penalty boxes--fans bored or nauseated by shootouts would really get to see just how quickly 3-on-3s result in a goal scored. The rulebook would need to be rewritten to allow all kinds of stuff currently forbidden: players (or coaches) shouting obscenities in the rink; arguing with officials; pushing & shoving after the whistle; shoving, checking or leveling players standing in front of the net without the puck; goalies forcefully whacking the legs and ankles of those same players; goalies smothering the puck outside their crease; etc., etc.

Imagine if they called a penalty for each occurrence of those things, which commonly go on all night in every game. Why don't they? Tacky, borderline, iffy stuff doesn't need to be called, esp. in playoffs. Referees qualifying to work playoffs need to possess a high degree of judgment and discernment, not robotically call penalties to prove they've studied their book *cough*Hasenfratz*Jonette*cough*
__________________
Happy ponies grazing in the grassy dell...sunbeams peeking through the treetops...the ponies have little duckies perched on their backs! Quacking at the little bunnies beneath to hop on up there.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-23-2013, 02:28 PM
KyleFreadrich43's Avatar
KyleFreadrich43 KyleFreadrich43 is offline
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
GP is, and was a ref. His posts tell me he's been playing, and officiating the game for quite a while. I think we'd all agree that if the infraction directly or indirectly affects a "scoring chance", the penalty should be called, regardless of the point in the game in which it occurs.

My opinion is that this new breed of refs do not, nor do they attempt to control the game, by their interactions with the players. They seem pretty aloof to me, and that lack of personal relationships leads to all kinds of miscalculations and mischief.

And I've never cared for the two ref system. That just contributes to the uncertainty between the refs, as well as the relationships with the players.
I see the opposite. I see them over-calling stupid penalties and penalties for no reason, or having the ref furthest away making a call that there's no way on the fuckin planet he had a better vantage point for than the one who didn't make the call. The 2-ref system, and their inability to learn from the previous regime' have made this one of if not the worst officiated league in professional sports.
__________________
"I don't want to call him scared, but Worrell always seemed to avoid me." -Kyle Freadrich

Last edited by KyleFreadrich43; 05-23-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-23-2013, 02:33 PM
KyleFreadrich43's Avatar
KyleFreadrich43 KyleFreadrich43 is offline
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
I want it called the same way in the 1st minute and the 61st minute. A team that commits a penalty needs to have it called whether it is the 1st period or overtime.

The biggest horse crap in hockey was allowing teams to cheat in overtime without calls.
Sorry, I wouldn't trade the multi-OT games I've seen for "fair" officiating when it comes to the playoffs.

Wash vs NYI
LA vs Cal
Pit vs PHI
Buf vs NJ
TB vs Wash
TB vs Cal
Col vs Fla

The missed calls, unless those resulting in a very direct scoring chance, were part of what made it so amazing to keep going for 4-5 OT's. THAT was another thing that made hockey different and it's fans special. Now they've dumbed it down so that a lot of the "fans" seem "special" and happy with this league.
__________________
"I don't want to call him scared, but Worrell always seemed to avoid me." -Kyle Freadrich
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-23-2013, 02:57 PM
RSchmitz's Avatar
RSchmitz RSchmitz is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
Sorry, I wouldn't trade the multi-OT games I've seen for "fair" officiating when it comes to the playoffs.

Wash vs NYI
LA vs Cal
Pit vs PHI
Buf vs NJ
TB vs Wash
TB vs Cal
Col vs Fla

The missed calls, unless those resulting in a very direct scoring chance, were part of what made it so amazing to keep going for 4-5 OT's. THAT was another thing that made hockey different and it's fans special. Now they've dumbed it down so that a lot of the "fans" seem "special" and happy with this league.
Funny you should mention that series, I remember distinctly during the finals, Calgary testing what they could get away with by cracking St.Louis' and Fedotenko's heads against the boards.

No, they need to call a consistent game, its on the onus of the players to adjust their play in order to not get penalized. Look at game 7 ECF against Boston...players are perfectly capable of playing penalty free hockey if the game is called consistently. Its when the line gets moved that its frustrating for the fans, the coaches, and the players. Although I definitely agree with you that its incredibly maddening to watch penalty after penalty get called, I think the problem isn't so much officials over-reaching on penalties, but the exact opposite of what you are saying and a lack of consistency, from ref to ref and even worse, depending on the situation of the game.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Puckhead's Avatar
Puckhead Puckhead is offline
Old-Skool Assassin
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Westchase
Posts: 704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
I see the opposite. I see them over-calling stupid penalties and penalties for no reason, or having the ref furthest away making a call that there's no way on the fuckin planet he had a better vantage point for than the one who didn't make the call. The 2-ref system, and their inability to learn from the previous regime' have made this one of if not the worst officiated league in professional sports.
You and I actually agree 100%. By "control" the game, I did NOT mean with the whistle. I meant "control" by talking with and developing a working relationship with the players. You know Mark Faucette, as I do. THAT's the kind of referee-ing I'm talking about.

And we both agree the two ref system is dysfunctional many times.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Donnie D's Avatar
Donnie D Donnie D is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 4,355
Default

I'd just like the officials to talk whenever a call is made. How many times have we seen the official that is away from the play call a penalty when the other referee standing next to the play doesn't make a call? You can't tell me that there hasn't been a number of times that the close official doesn't know that the stick didn't touch the player on a hooking call or tripping call. We see NFL officials waive off an interference call because another one sees that the ball is tipped, etc. The NHL has 4 officials on the ice - make them talk to each other. Just that change would result in better officiating.
__________________
I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:21 AM
uf1910 uf1910 is offline
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Funny you should mention that series, I remember distinctly during the finals, Calgary testing what they could get away with by cracking St.Louis' and Fedotenko's heads against the boards.

No, they need to call a consistent game, its on the onus of the players to adjust their play in order to not get penalized. Look at game 7 ECF against Boston...players are perfectly capable of playing penalty free hockey if the game is called consistently. Its when the line gets moved that its frustrating for the fans, the coaches, and the players. Although I definitely agree with you that its incredibly maddening to watch penalty after penalty get called, I think the problem isn't so much officials over-reaching on penalties, but the exact opposite of what you are saying and a lack of consistency, from ref to ref and even worse, depending on the situation of the game.


Just like baseball players have to adjust to each umpire's strikezone game to game, the players need to adjust to how the officials call game to game. What the officials need to do is be more consistent throughout a single game. The times of a neutral zone takedown is not a penalty then 2 minutes later a touching hook is a penalty has got to stop. Be consistent is all we ask and being consistent is what the officials are paid to do
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Top Shelf's Avatar
Top Shelf Top Shelf is offline
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uf1910 View Post
What the officials need to do is be more consistent throughout a single game. The times of a neutral zone takedown is not a penalty then 2 minutes later a touching hook is a penalty has got to stop. Be consistent is all we ask and being consistent is what the officials are paid to do
True, though while we're at it we may as well ask to be able to flap our arms and fly to the moon

Basically until the NHL has as many officials as football, plus the willingness to use modern technology to help them get it right, this game is simply too fast, with too much happening simultaneously, for human beings to officiate fairly, effectively and consistently. The National Geographic series Brain Games has revealed that our brains can actually focus on only one thing at a time, so refs are bound to miss stuff--a lot. Doubling the number of refs was a step in the right direction, even if it makes them work as a team, but additional officials are needed off-ice IMO. Or, we could take a step backward to the one-ref system and just live with the consequences
__________________
Happy ponies grazing in the grassy dell...sunbeams peeking through the treetops...the ponies have little duckies perched on their backs! Quacking at the little bunnies beneath to hop on up there.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:33 PM
the_narrow_way's Avatar
the_narrow_way the_narrow_way is offline
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 3,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uf1910 View Post
Be consistent is all we ask and being consistent is what the officials are paid to do
/signed
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-03-2013, 10:02 AM
gphockey's Avatar
gphockey gphockey is offline
Larry Hirsch's Travel Agent
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Otisfield/Poland Maine
Posts: 841
Default

Honestly, I hate posting this as I was a ref for several years and support (not to confuse with like or agree with) every darn one of them as they take a load of guff and are rarely 100% right.

That said, the NHL refs consistancy is NOT there and I don't get it.

I officated mostly mens league games and I would NEVER totally put the whistle away as a game can get away from you with just a couple bad "non calls".
If there was a chippy game equally going both ways, no one is getting hurt, sticks generally down, no cheap shots and no scoring chances were taken away, then yes, I would over look the marginals and let them play. Soon as it got chippy, set the tone and toss em for 2 or 4. That usually calmed things down unless the Hanson brothers were there.

Concerning the NHL, I like idea of the current two ref system because you flat out can't see everything as the game is blazing fast and something is always going on behind the play, but they really need to tighten it up and set the tone early in the game so the players know where the line is. Blatent hits from behind like we have been seeing should not be allowed and it does nothing but piss off the recepient for a retaliation later.

QUOTE
Sidney Crosby is right that the officials allowed things to escalate in that game, but shockingly went without mentioning the role the wound-up Penguins had in proceedings.

Those hard feelings didn't go away in the third period, despite the refs letting everything but an innocuous Crosby slash on Tyler Seguin very late in the proceedings go without raising their eyebrows.
END QUOTE


http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/

Last edited by gphockey; 06-03-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2008, BoltProspects.com. All Rights Reserved.