BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 05-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Larry Hirsch's Travel Agent

Default NHL On Ice Playoff Officials

I watched the end of the Bruins / Rangers game and saw Chara absolutely demolish a player in front of the net with a crosscheck that literally took the Ranger player off his feet.

No call.

I am disappointed and somewhat befuddled at the inconsistancy of the NHL on ice officials.
During the regular season a player literally can't touch someone with their stick and all of a sudden the playoffs come and its back to business as usual.

I like seeing powerplays, I like to see the flow of end to end action, I like to see star players have the room and space to shine.

Holding, hooking, crosschecking, slew footing, high sticking, slashing, tripping and interference need to be called consistantly with the existing rules.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphockey View Post
I watched the end of the Bruins / Rangers game and saw Chara absolutely demolish a player in front of the net with a crosscheck that literally took the Ranger player off his feet.

No call.

I am disappointed and somewhat befuddled at the inconsistancy of the NHL on ice officials.
During the regular season a player literally can't touch someone with their stick and all of a sudden the playoffs come and its back to business as usual.

I like seeing powerplays, I like to see the flow of end to end action, I like to see star players have the room and space to shine.

Holding, hooking, crosschecking, slew footing, high sticking, slashing, tripping and interference need to be called consistantly with the existing rules.
Have you watched hockey the last 40 years? It's been that way for quite a while. When have the officials been anything but shit all year this season?

There's still powerplays here and there. They've actually ruined the OT playoff games for me. They use to have some calls here and there during regulation, and then the whistles really went in the pocket when the game went to OT. Now they call the first penalty they usually see in OT so they don't have to stay on the ice for 3-4 OT's. When was the last 3-4 OT game they've played? I miss those, I DON'T miss seeing teams short-handed all the time.

Who really wants to see a game filled with powerplays? The league thought that would make the game more high scoring, but that backfired as well. It's that war of attrition in the playoffs that makes NHL players special, and the ones who play through it, GREAT.

Last edited by KyleFreadrich43; 05-22-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

I agree; a bunch of penalties kills the flow of the game.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Just an opinion
If they want to not have 3 and 4 OT games, and who can blame them, they should take my advice. After 60 min., Z the ice and play one 10-min. OT at 5-on-5 for the purists. If still tied: while the ice is still good, go to the usual 5-min. OT of 4-on-4. (One in three tied matches will be decided right there.) After that, drop the charade and go to 3-on-3. Presto, game over in minutes--or seconds--long before the kids have to be at school in the morning.

I don't need to see a bunch of half-dead zombies with rubber legs, fading judgment and tongues dragging all over the ice going through the motions and hoping just to not screw up from exhaustion, wondering the same as the fans are: WHEN will a goal EVER get scored, I don't even care any more by whom, so we can get the hell out of here?!! Screw that. After it goes too long, it's no longer exciting; it's more a tedious exercise in lung-melting fatigue that feels like it'll never end. If I want to see that I'll watch cycling. No thanx. Wake me when it's over
Old 05-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Larry Hirsch's Travel Agent

No one wants to see a bunch of penaties, and I am aware of the history of putting away the whistle which I why I started this thread.

I just want them to be consistant per their calls all season.

Some good stuff from the past.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifm8483MNHU
Old 05-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Default Consistency

Yeah all I want is consistent good refereing that should not be too much to ask for but I think that there will have tone a change in the administration of the NHL before that happens.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Cooper's Law

I want it called the same way in the 1st minute and the 61st minute. A team that commits a penalty needs to have it called whether it is the 1st period or overtime.

The biggest horse crap in hockey was allowing teams to cheat in overtime without calls.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
I want it called the same way in the 1st minute and the 61st minute. A team that commits a penalty needs to have it called whether it is the 1st period or overtime. The biggest horse crap in hockey was allowing teams to cheat in overtime without calls.
/signed
Old 05-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Old-Skool Assassin

GP is, and was a ref. His posts tell me he's been playing, and officiating the game for quite a while. I think we'd all agree that if the infraction directly or indirectly affects a "scoring chance", the penalty should be called, regardless of the point in the game in which it occurs.

My opinion is that this new breed of refs do not, nor do they attempt to control the game, by their interactions with the players. They seem pretty aloof to me, and that lack of personal relationships leads to all kinds of miscalculations and mischief.

And I've never cared for the two ref system. That just contributes to the uncertainty between the refs, as well as the relationships with the players.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
I want it called the same way in the 1st minute and the 61st minute. A team that commits a penalty needs to have it called whether it is the 1st period or overtime.

The biggest horse crap in hockey was allowing teams to cheat in overtime without calls.
Agreed