BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 11-19-2013, 12:41 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

You people are crazy! I would LOVE to have a baseball stadium near channelside, but that is an apocalyptic nightmare traffic wise. Hard to imagine a traffic situation worse than down town St.Pete, but that is one of the few scenarios where I could foresee it being worse. Unless of course they can blow up a few buildings and build an interstate channeling directly into a parking garage.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Cooper's Law

Let's look at some facts. There are more than 58,000 individuals who work in downtown Tampa. Given that the number of persons per car will be higher attending sporting events than commuting to work, the impact on traffic for a 40,000 seat stadium - since it occurs at a different time than rush hour - should be roughly comparable or less than what Tampa sees most working days.

And yes part of the public investment necessary to move the team anywhere will be road improvements.

So I don't see it being a big problem and just may improve the current situation with the road and public transit improvements that will accompany any move.

Last edited by Donnie D; 11-19-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

If there is any place that is equipped to handle gameday traffic it is downtown. As Donnie said, you have more than 50k in every weekday morning and more than 50k out every weekday evening. Daytime baseball games will probably cause a parking issue as you will have the working crowd in their normal spots so some additional parking infrastructure is probably needed but this issue is minor as there are only 8-10 weekday day games per year.

I truly believe the stadium is going downtown/channelside. Whether it backs to the water ala Pac Bell, or you end up with a center field view of the river ala PNC in Pittsburgh, Sternberg wants his stadium to be a landmark unlike the current mausoleum situation
Old 11-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Mighty Mite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
You people are crazy! I would LOVE to have a baseball stadium near channelside, but that is an apocalyptic nightmare traffic wise. Hard to imagine a traffic situation worse than down town St.Pete, but that is one of the few scenarios where I could foresee it being worse. Unless of course they can blow up a few buildings and build an interstate channeling directly into a parking garage.
I don't get how everyone keeps getting this idea - the traffic flows would be redesigned significantly, you're next to the crosstown (open up the big expressway post game and problem solved going east), you have decent traffic flow north and if you give it the bucs treatment (close the opposite direction, four lanes out to 275) things would be killer, and traffic to St. Pete is split with the expressway and bayshore. It'd be tremendous and equidistant to a vast majority of the bay area.

I think some are not fully thinking through the development that would take place in Channelside. We're talking about a LOT of land getting turned over, purpose-designed parking that would empty out to the best paths out of the area, roads would be redesigned with so much of this land getting demo'd.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:14 PM

As somebody who navigates downtown, Kennedy, and I275 almost every day, I'll kindly disagree.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
As somebody who navigates downtown, Kennedy, and I275 almost every day, I'll kindly disagree.
Don't touch Kennedy, use Cleveland/Platt east of MacDill and Azeele from MacDill to Westshore. To me Kennedy is like Dale Mabry, as in avoid at all costs.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uf1910 View Post
Don't touch Kennedy, use Cleveland/Platt east of MacDill and Azeele from MacDill to Westshore. To me Kennedy is like Dale Mabry, as in avoid at all costs.
I've learned that the hard way, lol. I have to drop my girlfriend off at a clinic that is on Kennedy every day and have no choice in the matter though. As for people heading to the forum from the west, Kennedy seems to be the logical point of entry though, especially south Tampa.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Let's look at some facts. There are more than 58,000 individuals who work in downtown Tampa. Given that the number of persons per car will be higher attending sporting events than commuting to work, the impact on traffic for a 40,000 seat stadium - since it occurs at a different time than rush hour - should be roughly comparable or less than what Tampa sees most working days.

And yes part of the public investment necessary to move the team anywhere will be road improvements.

So I don't see it being a big problem and just may improve the current situation with the road and public transit improvements that will accompany any move.
There is a significant snag to your numbers.
Yes +50k people work downtown that encompasses massive parking facilities From Kennedy to the Ashley parking lot along with spots under the 275 exchange.
There is no way people will park their car at say the library to walk over to a baseball or hockey game. Just not realistic.

Try driving across the bridges into downtown tampa at the 5:30 to 7:00 time frame that most people would need to come into the area. It is a nightmare.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I've learned that the hard way, lol. I have to drop my girlfriend off at a clinic that is on Kennedy every day and have no choice in the matter though. As for people heading to the forum from the west, Kennedy seems to be the logical point of entry though, especially south Tampa.
I live in south Tampa and NEVER take Kennedy in for games. The easiest route is the EB crosstown, get off the downtown exit and it dumps you onto Florida Ave. Otherwise I would take Platt/Bayshore under the convention center. Now that the EB Crosstown construction is cleared past downtown I don't run into the leftover rush hour traffic anymore and quite often as I'm crossing over the river the Platt bridge is backed up yet I'm sailing in with no issue. Just my .02 but I would avoid Kennedy at all costs if I were in your shoes
Old 11-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Default N. Tampa

I drive down fromN. Tampa and often take 275 to the downtown exits. Usually 275 is good sometimes backed up but it still moves. I have parkednext to the Sykesbldg in that parking lot and have no problem walking to the forum and back to my car. That walk sometime SE includes a stop at Hattricks to hydrate for the rest of the walk. There are some rowdy fans but it is a good walk. What will eat up the parking are the apartments being built downtown and near channelside they are going to have to put up more parking if the baseball stadium goes downtown.