BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-08-2013, 03:09 PM
hfgreg's Avatar
hfgreg hfgreg is offline
XO Sniper
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
Love that Gudas got a deal.
Gudas=Scott Stevens
Hedman=Scott Niedermayer
Whoa now.. one can only hope it plays out like that.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 AM
dannybolt's Avatar
dannybolt dannybolt is offline
Old-Skool Assassin
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfgreg View Post
Whoa now.. one can only hope it plays out like that.
I meant in style of play. Hedman continuously takes heat on the board here for not playing physically, even in threads that have nothing to do with him. That isn't his game. It is Gudas'.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-09-2013, 06:40 AM
goldenbolt goldenbolt is offline
Rick Tocchet's Bookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
I meant in style of play. Hedman continuously takes heat on the board here for not playing physically, even in threads that have nothing to do with him. That isn't his game. It is Gudas'.
Hedman will never be a physical player. With that said the heat is as follows.
Why panic with the puck in his zone? Why does he not look up ice before throwing the puck up for grabs either along the boards, in front to the opponent or the icing when he is not even being pressed?
When will the offensive part of his game become a nice low shot from the point that hits something called the net area?

My criticism is the fundamental's of his defensive game. Now approaching year 5 of his NHL career is it too much to ask for him to have developed those skills at a more that Gudas level?
__________________
The journey starts
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Top Shelf's Avatar
Top Shelf Top Shelf is offline
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post
Hedman will never be a physical player. [+1, maybe...has the potential] With that said the heat is as follows.
Why panic with the puck in his zone? Why does he not look up ice before throwing the puck up for grabs either along the boards, in front to the opponent or the icing when he is not even being pressed? [+2]
When will the offensive part of his game become a nice low shot from the point that hits something called the net area? [+3]

My criticism is the fundamental's of his defensive game. Now approaching year 5 of his NHL career is it too much to ask for him to have developed those skills at a more [than] Gudas level? [+4]
Has it been that long already? Time flies when you're waiting till next year. Usually not.
__________________
The "truth, kindness and forbearance" principle [preached by Falun Gong] has nothing in common with the socialist ethical and cultural progress we are striving to achieve." --People's Daily, 8/23/99
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Alex's Avatar
Alex Alex is offline
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 2,181
Default

Gudas and Hedman play against different lines, too. They're rarely paired together since the latter is constantly getting tougher minutes.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Xaej Xaej is offline
The Constrictor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post
Hedman will never be a physical player. With that said the heat is as follows.
Why panic with the puck in his zone? Why does he not look up ice before throwing the puck up for grabs either along the boards, in front to the opponent or the icing when he is not even being pressed?
When will the offensive part of his game become a nice low shot from the point that hits something called the net area?

My criticism is the fundamental's of his defensive game. Now approaching year 5 of his NHL career is it too much to ask for him to have developed those skills at a more that Gudas level?
The problem with posts like these is the same as the problem with fans spectating defensemen in general. It's VERY easy to remember Hedman's mistakes and deem his "fundamentals" bad. The thing that is hard about objectively watching a defenseman's defensive abilities is that, when they are played correctly, you probably won't remember them by the time the game has ended. You remember Gudas's because they come with a "bang". Just because Hedman doesn't hit doesn't mean he doesn't play defense correctly.

Do you even remember the countless plays Hedman has handled correctly? He has single-handedly thwarted NUMEROUS odd-man rushes, blocked his fair share of shots in the defensive end, stopped shots on wide open nets when our goalies have been out of position, covered the ass of one poorly playing defensive partner after another, and played a pretty good offensive game in the process (extrapolated over a full season he would have been a fabled 40 point defensemen this year).

Further, don't forget about how much ice time Hedman plays night in and night out. He's BOUND to make some mistakes when he's out there in all situations like he is. He plays even strength, PK, and PP. He plays against top lines. He plays in the final minutes of games. He's ALWAYS on the ice. He's going to make mistakes. All defensemen do it. Nick Lidstrom did it. Gudad does it. It's a natural part of the (arguably) hardest position in professional sports.

Just because he came into the league and wasn't a Norris candidate out of the gate doesn't make him bad or even below-average. Hedman is a high-caliber defenseman who will only continue to improve. Will he ever start leveling people at the blue iine? Probably not. But he is still only 22 (maybe 23) years old and will be the "pivot" our defense is built around for a long time and I, for one, think we are a very lucky team to have him.

Last edited by Xaej; 05-09-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Alex's Avatar
Alex Alex is offline
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 2,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaej View Post
The problem with posts like these is the same as the problem with fans spectating defensemen in general. It's VERY easy to remember Hedman's mistakes and deem his "fundamentals" bad. The thing that is hard about objectively watching a defenseman's defensive abilities is that, when they are played correctly, you probably won't remember them by the time the game has ended. You remember Gudas's because they come with a "bang". Just because Hedman doesn't hit doesn't mean he doesn't play defense correctly.

Do you even remember the countless plays Hedman has handled correctly? He has single-handedly thwarted NUMEROUS odd-man rushes, blocked his fair share of shots in the defensive end, stopped shots on wide open nets when our goalies have been out of position, covered the ass of one poorly playing defensive partner after another, and played a pretty good offensive game in the process (extrapolated over a full season he would have been a fabled 40 point defensemen this year).

Further, don't forget about how much ice time Hedman plays night in and night out. He's BOUND to make some mistakes when he's out there in all situations like he is. He plays even strength, PK, and PP. He plays against top lines. He plays in the final minutes of games. He's ALWAYS on the ice. He's going to make mistakes. All defensemen do it. Nick Lidstrom did it. Gudad does it. It's a natural part of the (arguably) hardest position in professional sports.

Just because he came into the league and wasn't a Norris candidate out of the gate doesn't make him bad or even below-average. Hedman is a high-caliber defenseman who will only continue to improve. Will he ever start leveling people at the blue iine? Probably not. But he is still only 22 (maybe 23) years old and will be the "pivot" our defense is built around for a long time and I, for one, think we are a very lucky team to have him.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-09-2013, 09:25 AM
dannybolt's Avatar
dannybolt dannybolt is offline
Old-Skool Assassin
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaej View Post
The problem with posts like these is the same as the problem with fans spectating defensemen in general. It's VERY easy to remember Hedman's mistakes and deem his "fundamentals" bad. The thing that is hard about objectively watching a defenseman's defensive abilities is that, when they are played correctly, you probably won't remember them by the time the game has ended. You remember Gudas's because they come with a "bang". Just because Hedman doesn't hit doesn't mean he doesn't play defense correctly.

Do you even remember the countless plays Hedman has handled correctly? He has single-handedly thwarted NUMEROUS odd-man rushes, blocked his fair share of shots in the defensive end, stopped shots on wide open nets when our goalies have been out of position, covered the ass of one poorly playing defensive partner after another, and played a pretty good offensive game in the process (extrapolated over a full season he would have been a fabled 40 point defensemen this year).

Further, don't forget about how much ice time Hedman plays night in and night out. He's BOUND to make some mistakes when he's out there in all situations like he is. He plays even strength, PK, and PP. He plays against top lines. He plays in the final minutes of games. He's ALWAYS on the ice. He's going to make mistakes. All defensemen do it. Nick Lidstrom did it. Gudad does it. It's a natural part of the (arguably) hardest position in professional sports.

Just because he came into the league and wasn't a Norris candidate out of the gate doesn't make him bad or even below-average. Hedman is a high-caliber defenseman who will only continue to improve. Will he ever start leveling people at the blue iine? Probably not. But he is still only 22 (maybe 23) years old and will be the "pivot" our defense is built around for a long time and I, for one, think we are a very lucky team to have him.


Further, if Hedman was two inches shorter, he wouldn't be hitting the NHL until right about now. He developed in the NHL with all of us watching, unlike Gudas, who had the good fortune to develop under Cooper.

Look at the rest of Hedman's draft class of Defensemen. Only Ekman-Larsson is close to Victor. Unless you'd prefer Nick Leddy or Dmitri Kulikov? Yeah, I thought not.

Victor Hedman is almost exactly what his scouting report said he would be. A minute eater who brings offensive flair, not much physically, but is calm with the puck. The last part could be debated, but at 22, he's developing nicely.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM
hfgreg's Avatar
hfgreg hfgreg is offline
XO Sniper
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 405
Default

I honestly thought Hedman took a big step forward last season.. he finished pretty poorly but that could be said for most of the team. I think he breaks out next year.. Just have a feeling.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Top Shelf's Avatar
Top Shelf Top Shelf is offline
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,183
Default

There's always next year.
__________________
The "truth, kindness and forbearance" principle [preached by Falun Gong] has nothing in common with the socialist ethical and cultural progress we are striving to achieve." --People's Daily, 8/23/99
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2008, BoltProspects.com. All Rights Reserved.