Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Cooper's Law

SportsNet who Subban now works for, has been pushing him big time
Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
You know, I've been watching the Ottawa/Montreal series very closely, and I am shocked that Subban is a Norris finalist. I mean, yes, he scores. But he takes terrible penalties, gets way out of position all the time,and makes a lot f very bad decisions with the puck. Maybe it's just the playoffs and he didn't do this in the reagular season, but to me he has not looked good at all.
And that's why these players get nominated. They really need to add a Bobby Orr Trophy to go with these types of players and give the Norris to the best defenseman. Suter at least isn't an offensive Dman.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

The NHLPA nominated Crosby, Ovechkin, and St. Louis for the Ted Lindsay award. High praise for him from fellow players just to make the list of finalists!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
The NHLPA nominated Crosby, Ovechkin, and St. Louis for the Ted Lindsay award. High praise for him from fellow players just to make the list of finalists!
Wait... a player that didn't make the playoffs is a finalist?? Good on the PA voters.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
And that's why these players get nominated. They really need to add a Bobby Orr Trophy to go with these types of players and give the Norris to the best defenseman.
Outstanding idea.

They have the Richard and Ross trophies for the best offensive production, the Selke for the best defensive forward and the Norris for the best defenseman [always an offense-minded one]--but not the best defensive defenseman. Unless we're saying that role should vanish, the Norris should be that trophy; the Orr could go to the Coffeys, Leetches and Lidstroms of the league. Not that those players weren't also defensively responsible and effective, but they are celebrated primarily for being hugely productive on offense.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Outstanding idea.

They have the Richard and Ross trophies for the best offensive production, the Selke for the best defensive forward and the Norris for the best defenseman [always an offense-minded one]--but not the best defensive defenseman. Unless we're saying that role should vanish, the Norris should be that trophy; the Orr could go to the Coffeys, Leetches and Lidstroms of the league. Not that those players weren't also defensively responsible and effective, but they are celebrated primarily for being hugely productive on offense.
Yep. The only player I disagree with is Lidstrom. He could challenge for both. Coffey, Leetch, Karlsson, Subban, etc. all for the Orr trophy.

Now watch someone go and prove us wrong and tell us James Norris was an offensive Dman
Old 05-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Send a message via AIM to njbolt12

Agree you need to split up the D awards.

I also propose an award for best forward / D at pissing away games. It's an overlooked dimension. We could name them after Purcell and Hedman. Winners get a trophy made of Charmin, and a buyout check
Old 05-09-2013, 03:40 PM

Splitting them I agree with, but you can't call it the Bobby Orr award.

With the trophies he won during his career, his would be the perfect name for best all-around defenseman, not just best offensive defenseman. He was just too dominant to have a one dimensional trophy named after him.

Maybe come up with End of Year awards, best Forward, best Defenseman, best Goaltender.

Howe
Orr
Sawchuk
Old 05-09-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbolt12 View Post
Agree you need to split up the D awards.

I also propose an award for best forward / D at pissing away games. It's an overlooked dimension. We could name them after Purcell and Hedman. Winners get a trophy made of Charmin, and a buyout check
Maybe a golden turnstile made with hockey sticks, so they wave when you spin it as you go around them.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:01 PM

Joe Sakic promoted to VP of Hockey Operations for the Colorado Avalanche. He will have the final say on all personnel moves. Josh Kronke named president and Sherman kept as GM for now.

Now begins the search for a coach. I have only one guy in mind, an old screen name of mine