BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Barry Melrose's Hairstylist

Quote:
Aulie is a big enough guy, that he shouldn't be given too big of a pat on the back for fighting Lucic.
No, huh? Lucic is roundly recognized as the toughest guy in the league that can also play hockey- I'd say most people outside of Tampa hardly even know who Aulie is- I'm gonna give him credit for not turning down a bout that he definitely is going to lose- like it or not, that DOES take courage.

Quote:
Back in the "old days", it was simply referred to as "playing hockey".
True- back in the old days there were plenty of men that did not fight at all- Esposito comes to mind- and for the record, he was very, very tough.

Quote:
Ference isn't exactly Bob Probert either, he only has 32 fights in a little over 750 games.
I watch ALOT of hockey- I'm not obsessed so I don't feel like looking up the fight stats for pouliot- but last night was the first time I've ever seen him fight- Conversely, I've seen Ference fight pleny, and he is an excellent fighter-he isn't Probert because he is a middleweight at best- still a better than average fighter though, IMHO.

Quote:
Labrie hasn't/won't go after anything, the only thing he needs to "go after" is his luggage at the baggage claim of whatever airport he lands in for next season, hopefully not TPA.
This I agree with- if he isn't here to take on Chris Neil, Milan Lucic, etc., then we need someone who will- so Aulie doesn't have to do that. Right Stevie Y?
Old 04-26-2013, 04:29 PM

We just have to face the fact that Tampa is not a team that fights very much or very well. Seems to me that VL4 is probably the "best" fighter on the team but he's not in the league of a guy like Lucic.

You'd think SFY would realize that there's that need for a guy to stand up to the likes of Lucic, Neil and others. Didn't he have that with the Bruise Brothers in Motown all those years ago?

I also can recall a statement made years ago that it's not if you win or lose (in a fight) it's if you show up. I think Aulie may have earned a little bit more respect from his team mates for his go with Lucic.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Default Yes

Agreed KF43, Aulie is not inLucics class...my point was he didnot back down and tried to fight, but got owned. Lucy should have been called for an instigator but the refs did not see it that way. Anyway Aulie showed some guts trying to take Lucy on, regardless of his losing the bout.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Tim Taylor's WrapAround

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
Lucic hadn't fought in 26 games, and he wasn't going to ruin his hands health for the playoffs on Aulie's visor.
Not a shred of credit for Aulie and now excuses for Lucic?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:19 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalskate View Post
No, huh? Lucic is roundly recognized as the toughest guy in the league that can also play hockey- I'd say most people outside of Tampa hardly even know who Aulie is- I'm gonna give him credit for not turning down a bout that he definitely is going to lose- like it or not, that DOES take courage.
It's Aulie's fault nobody knows who he is. Lucic has been on a serious decline this year in both "playing" and "fighting". He started a fight with a visor and then turned his head completely away. If that's courage, then Crombeen is a CMoH winner.

Quote:
True- back in the old days there were plenty of men that did not fight at all- Esposito comes to mind- and for the record, he was very, very tough.
Right, because he HAD GUYS to take care of that job.

Quote:
I watch ALOT of hockey- I'm not obsessed so I don't feel like looking up the fight stats for pouliot- but last night was the first time I've ever seen him fight- Conversely, I've seen Ference fight pleny, and he is an excellent fighter-he isn't Probert because he is a middleweight at best- still a better than average fighter though, IMHO.
I'm more of the mind that your thinking of his brother BRAD Ference, who played and fought for the Panthers. Otherwise, since Andrew had previously only had ONE fight vs the Lightning, you truly do watch A LOT of hockey, including the 3 teams Andrew has played for, with Pittsburgh and Boston both being on most nights at the same time the Lightning are

Quote:
This I agree with- if he isn't here to take on Chris Neil, Milan Lucic, etc., then we need someone who will- so Aulie doesn't have to do that. Right Stevie Y?
Hopefully someone is listening.

Last edited by KyleFreadrich43; 04-27-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxbolt View Post
We just have to face the fact that Tampa is not a team that fights very much or very well. Seems to me that VL4 is probably the "best" fighter on the team but he's not in the league of a guy like Lucic.

You'd think SFY would realize that there's that need for a guy to stand up to the likes of Lucic, Neil and others. Didn't he have that with the Bruise Brothers in Motown all those years ago?
The Wings haven't won a Cup in the modern era without at least ONE enforcer on the team.

Quote:
I also can recall a statement made years ago that it's not if you win or lose (in a fight) it's if you show up. I think Aulie may have earned a little bit more respect from his team mates for his go with Lucic.
That's the theory for players that lose most of their fights.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat664422 View Post
Not a shred of credit for Aulie and now excuses for Lucic?
I gave him a shred of credit, i just don't think he did anything more than his job.
Let's run through the excuses. You're a player that has the playoffs coming up, one's you'd like to be healthy for.

Does fighting a guy with a visor on:

A. IMPROVE your chances for staying healthy?
B. INCREASE your chances of getting injured?
C. Is it in a nothing fight with a nothing fighter?
D. All of the above.

No Lightning/Aulie glasses please.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:07 AM

Seems to be a lot of focus on "the visor". Visors are legal to wear- I'd wear one myself, rather than risk losing my eye to appease another player's desire to fight me without my visor- Looked to me like Lucic started that fight when he slashed the knee and .... ready? No penalty was called. I remember Gudas being slashed a center ice, blatant. No call. Slew foot on I think Panik- no call. That is why you need a fighter or two in the line up- so when the Bruins start hacking away and the refereees have their whistles safely TUCKed away in the suppository.... that's when you punch someone in the face. Part of the problem with our current roster is they don't seem to comprehend that. ( Nacho?) Crombeener I think gets it better than most, but he doesn't win (m)any....
Old 04-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Quote:
I gave him a shred of credit, i just don't think he did anything more than his job.
Let's run through the excuses. You're a player that has the playoffs coming up, one's you'd like to be healthy for.

D. All of the above.

Ummmmmm...answer is B and C

(No worries 43, I had lots of professors in college who did no better, and they wrote tests for a living)

BTW I agree w/you here. Lucic does himself no favor pounding Aulie's visor, so the wicked hard takedown made massive sense. Got his point across without jeopardizing that thing alien to the Lightning called the postseason tournament. And IMO fighting with a visor is among the thorniest issues surrounding NHL fights right now, since so many guys wear them. I've wondered aloud in here before, what's the way forward? You can't just penalize guys for failing to remove it, you can't expect guys to allow an opponent TIME to remove it, you can't expect guys in the heat of battle to think about taking it off, etc. Back in the day, you just started pounding scalp, which at least is not going to cause the kinds of injuries the hard plastic can...The absolutists like my dad would simply jerk their knee and proclaim the only obvious solution is just to ban fighting altogether like the other leagues. IMO that would be akin to banning backpacks, pressure cookers and baseball caps...and 20 oz. sodas

Last edited by Top Shelf; 04-27-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Tim Taylor's WrapAround

Quote:

D. All of the above.

I recall earlier this year when Aulie "fought" Clarkson you said Aulie should have either decided to fight or not, not some inbetween shit. Seems like you've got a different standard for Aulie. Follow your own advice about there about the glasses.
Closed Thread