BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapbolt View Post
Well the refs called the high stick on Kelly but not the trip that sent Panik to the ice.
And not Lucic's wicked 2-handed slash to the side of Aulie's right knee, or the ensuing hard sucker-slug in the jaw with the glove--a foul so textbook it looked like Lucic was giving the official hand signal for his own roughing penalty--that ignited the fight, either. And not Kelly's slew-foot of Vinny with the puck on the PP either, right in front of the ref. Games change momentum on 5-on-3s all the time, good thing it wasn't a must-win situation

But it doesn't matter how pathetically horrible and inconsistent the officiating is in the NHL in 2013. Lightning can't get the puck out or keep it in, and that's all she wrote. (Rask being over the top, out of his mind, didn't help)

Looks like Stamkos will have to wait another year to go for the Rocket Richard trophy, unless he gets a hat trick in the final game...

Could happen!
IT Dept. (Inconvenient Truth): Montgomery AL had the coolest July 30 since reliable record keeping began in 1872. Wednesday's low of 59 degrees shattered the previous low of 66 degrees set in 1889. Weather Service meteorologist Michael Garrison said it was the coolest temperature Montgomery had experienced in July, [tying] the record that Montgomery experienced on July 20, 2009. This was the third round of record-setting lows the area has seen this July.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapbolt View Post
Aulie and Lucic, Aulie held his ground but Lucic is a beast his take down of Aulie was nasty.
If by held his ground, you mean "turned his head and got beaten to the ice", then yes, that'd be a fair opinion.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:31 AM
John Tortorella's Doghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
If by held his ground, you mean "turned his head and got beaten to the ice", then yes, that'd be a fair opinion.
Got to at least give a little credit to Aulie and Pouliot for fighting guys they really could not win against- Ference pretty much started the whole thing with a guy who doesn't fight- minus points for that- and The lightning has labrie to take on lucic- but he didn't do it, so Aulie did- obviously Aulie is not in Lucic's weight class....
Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalskate View Post
Got to at least give a little credit to Aulie and Pouliot for fighting guys they really could not win against- Ference pretty much started the whole thing with a guy who doesn't fight- minus points for that-
We remember this putz for his surgical attempt to slice Marty St. Louis's nose off with his stick 6/7/04...he cried like a schoolgirl over getting even a MINOR for that...Andrew Ferrets, still the little weasel
IT Dept. (Inconvenient Truth): Montgomery AL had the coolest July 30 since reliable record keeping began in 1872. Wednesday's low of 59 degrees shattered the previous low of 66 degrees set in 1889. Weather Service meteorologist Michael Garrison said it was the coolest temperature Montgomery had experienced in July, [tying] the record that Montgomery experienced on July 20, 2009. This was the third round of record-setting lows the area has seen this July.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalskate View Post
Got to at least give a little credit to Aulie and Pouliot for fighting guys they really could not win against-
Back in the "old days", it was simply referred to as "playing hockey".

Quote:
Ference pretty much started the whole thing with a guy who doesn't fight- minus points for that-
At 6'3, and a 4 inch height advantage, he wasn't out of his range. Pouliot had fought Ference before, and got a draw, maybe a slight edge, so they had history together, not "going with a guy that doesn't fight". Ference isn't exactly Bob Probert either, he only has 32 fights in a little over 750 games.

Quote:
and The lightning has labrie to take on lucic- but he didn't do it, so Aulie did- obviously Aulie is not in Lucic's weight class....
Labrie hasn't/won't go after anything, the only thing he needs to "go after" is his luggage at the baggage claim of whatever airport he lands in for next season, hopefully not TPA. Aulie is a big enough guy, that he shouldn't be given too big of a pat on the back for fighting Lucic. Outclassed? Yes. But this just brings me to the point I tried to make earlier in the season. Aulie IS NOT A FIGHTER, I hope these 3-4 this year have finally proven that to the few who thought he might have had some fighting talent hidden away some where. Also wasn't fond of him starting the fight with the visor on, but it's the only thing that probably saved him from getting truly hammered.

As for giving credit, I do, simply for doing a hockey player's job, nothing more. Once again, the true slight is, THEY had to do it, because nobody else would.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Back in the "old days", it was simply referred to as "playing hockey"...As for giving credit, I do, simply for doing a hockey player's job, nothing more.
Fair points. Other side of the coin is the hockey player's job actually involves playing hockey. They have to STOP playing hockey to fight. No hockey playing by anyone else on the ice is allowed to proceed either. Fighters have to sit in a box and watch the others play hockey while they don't play any. For five minutes, arguably they aren't playing any more hockey than the rest of the spectators.

So, playing hockey and fighting can be viewed as two separate behaviors, intertwined to whatever degree is decided subjectively by participants and observers: Plenty of guys play their whole careers without ever being in a fight (while others seem to "go" their whole careers without ever playing much hockey ), and plenty of hockey games occur without anyone going at it. Boring ones only, I know, but hey...

I don't mind at all seeing NHL games without fighting, but I'd hate to see an NHL where there could NEVER be fighting. So far the only reason for not killing Buttman (besides prison) is that he hasn't banned it outright.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Barry Melrose's Hairstylist

Quote:
I've seen enough of Aulie fighting this year to agree, he doesn't look like a good fighter. He won he first fight here last year, but I haven't seen him really come close to winning any since.

I've seen Lucic kill guys in much worse way however.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Send a message via AIM to njbolt12

Poor Aulie.

After dancing with Lucic, I knew he'd get tagged by Fready for losing the fight, and then by Pete for, well... being Aulie

Pat - good point. He handled Colin Greening pretty well last year, but Greening is probably in Crombeen territory fighting-wise (he's not really the kind of grinder Crombeen is, either). Perhaps that, and his fight vs Rinaldo (a guy he should kill, even though Rinaldo, POS that he is, is a good fighter for his size) distorted Aulie's pugilistic abilities to some of us.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat664422 View Post
I've seen enough of Aulie fighting this year to agree, he doesn't look like a good fighter. He won he first fight here last year, but I haven't seen him really come close to winning any since.

I've seen Lucic kill guys in much worse way however.
Lucic hadn't fought in 26 games, and he wasn't going to ruin his hands health for the playoffs on Aulie's visor.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbolt12 View Post
Poor Aulie.

After dancing with Lucic, I knew he'd get tagged by Fready for losing the fight, and then by Pete for, well... being Aulie

Pat - good point. He handled Colin Greening pretty well last year, but Greening is probably in Crombeen territory fighting-wise (he's not really the kind of grinder Crombeen is, either). Perhaps that, and his fight vs Rinaldo (a guy he should kill, even though Rinaldo, POS that he is, is a good fighter for his size) distorted Aulie's pugilistic abilities to some of us.
Greening, a guy with a whopping 5 fights in his NHL career, and 15 career fights, 4 of which came 7 years ago in the BCHL. That was one guy Aulie should have had no problem with.

The one that should have distorted the perception, was this:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.