BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Coldrice's Avatar
Coldrice Coldrice is offline
Steve F**king Yzerman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seminole, FL
Posts: 2,552
Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice
Default Buyout discussion

Interesting tidbit on the Compliance Buyout aspect, for the pro/anti-buyout crowd.

For anyone thinking it's a lump sum, all at once payout... it was interpreted to me that the compliance buyout (pay period if you will) is the length of the remaining contract, times 2. Like an ordinary buyout, just that the buyout isn't applied towards the cap. It does count towards the player share though.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1393277&page=3

As an example:

Brewer - $4M next season, $3.75M 2014-15

$7.75M - 2 years left (x2) = $1.9375M over the next 4 years if bought out this summer

If done next summer, basically the same ($1.875M for 2 years)

Be nice to see a posted finished product soon instead of the MOU
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-18-2013, 12:50 PM
timothy's Avatar
timothy timothy is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nashville
Posts: 7,445
Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Default

So... Lecavalier's hypothetical buyout would be...

$45M owed over next 7 years... ~$3.2M/yr paid out over the next 14 years?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-18-2013, 01:02 PM
goldenbolt goldenbolt is offline
Rick Tocchet's Bookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrice View Post
Interesting tidbit on the Compliance Buyout aspect, for the pro/anti-buyout crowd.

For anyone thinking it's a lump sum, all at once payout... it was interpreted to me that the compliance buyout (pay period if you will) is the length of the remaining contract, times 2. Like an ordinary buyout, just that the buyout isn't applied towards the cap. It does count towards the player share though.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1393277&page=3

As an example:

Brewer - $4M next season, $3.75M 2014-15

$7.75M - 2 years left (x2) = $1.9375M over the next 4 years if bought out this summer

If done next summer, basically the same ($1.875M for 2 years)

Be nice to see a posted finished product soon instead of the MOU
Cap Information for a #4 http://screencast.com/t/aoxfsPce3I
what I don't know is that how the calculation would play out but the "Cap hit" would be removed as part of the free get out of jail for the owner's card.

Brewer's would look like this http://screencast.com/t/hKgUtaoX3xBl

Based on the statement at Capgeek the Dollars do not change it is only the removal of the cap hit to the team that would be different.

Here is the statement from the Cap Geek Site

http://screencast.com/t/8uTuuoxusryq

__________________
The journey starts
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Coldrice's Avatar
Coldrice Coldrice is offline
Steve F**king Yzerman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seminole, FL
Posts: 2,552
Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice
Default

Thanks GB. Wondering where (more like why) the fluctuations occur (1.166, 1.416), etc. Players share portion perhaps? Even cheaper, per CG.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Mike's Avatar
Mike Mike is offline
BP Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrice View Post
For anyone thinking it's a lump sum, all at once payout... it was interpreted to me that the compliance buyout (pay period if you will) is the length of the remaining contract, times 2. Like an ordinary buyout, just that the buyout isn't applied towards the cap. It does count towards the player share though.

Brewer - $4M next season, $3.75M 2014-15

$7.75M - 2 years left (x2) = $1.9375M over the next 4 years if bought out this summer

If done next summer, basically the same ($1.875M for 2 years)
Yes, it's just like an ordinary buyout. So, the team only pays 2/3 of the remaining salary. Brewer would only be owed $5,166,667 of the $7,750,000 currently remaining, paid out in four annual installments of $1,291,667, NOT $1,937,500.

Last edited by Mike; 04-18-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Mike's Avatar
Mike Mike is offline
BP Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
So... Lecavalier's hypothetical buyout would be...

$45M owed over next 7 years... ~$3.2M/yr paid out over the next 14 years?
Nope. 2/3 of $45 million is $30 million. So, $2,142,847 for the next 14 years.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-18-2013, 05:47 PM
ChaseSpace's Avatar
ChaseSpace ChaseSpace is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Williston, FL
Posts: 4,744
Default

Now you have to wonder if they really will buyout Vinny. If not this summer but next summer.
__________________
Gudas Priest
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Hoek's Avatar
Hoek Hoek is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 11,375
Default

No you don't because that's still a silly total amount of money to pay for a silly amount of time to get rid of a good player.

It does make a Brewer buyout palatable though, but I still wouldn't expect it. I don't think the team was a big fan of Prospal's buyout being on the books as long as it was.

Last edited by Hoek; 04-18-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Coldrice's Avatar
Coldrice Coldrice is offline
Steve F**king Yzerman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seminole, FL
Posts: 2,552
Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Yes, it's just like an ordinary buyout. So, the team only pays 2/3 of the remaining salary. Brewer would only be owed $5,166,667 of the $7,750,000 currently remaining, paid out in four annual installments of $1,291,667, NOT $1,937,500.
Yep I stand corrected. Assumed full payout. Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-18-2013, 06:38 PM
The Other Side's Avatar
The Other Side The Other Side is offline
Swedish Battle Tank
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
What a deal, Vinik will only have to pay Vinny $30 million not to play. Plus he will have $45 million in cap space that he will be able to pay to other players to try to replace him!!

Folks talk about this like it is monopoly money.
So right you are Donnie.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2008, BoltProspects.com. All Rights Reserved.