BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 04-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post
Smith until he left was nothing and mentioned that finally someone was coaching him to be a better Goalie in phoenix.
That coach's name is Sean Burke and if I were Yzerman I would open the bank.for him.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Look at how many goaltenders had their game diminish after TB acquired them? How many goaltenders had their game elevate after leaving TB? It's a challenge to name one that deviated from the above.

In recent history, Bishop, game #1, 45-save shut-out. Last night, and the game before that, and the game before that, etc.... at least one marshmallow softie per game.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Per EE, Lacroix is already coming back.
Yep, confused why Cooper wouldn't want to hand pick new staff members, maybe add a veteran presence. Oh well, guess he likes Lacroix
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Yep, confused why Cooper wouldn't want to hand pick new staff members, maybe add a veteran presence. Oh well, guess he likes Lacroix
Might not have been Cooper's call to make.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Cooper's Law

Yes, it sounds to me like Yzerman is picking the assistants. I don't agree with that concept.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I don't understand the attachments to the assistants. THEY WERE BOUCHER'S GUYS. :/

It sounds like Raymond is out at least, hopefully looking for a real defensive assistant.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
Look at how many goaltenders had their game diminish after TB acquired them? How many goaltenders had their game elevate after leaving TB? It's a challenge to name one that deviated from the above.

In recent history, Bishop, game #1, 45-save shut-out. Last night, and the game before that, and the game before that, etc.... at least one marshmallow softie per game.
Ding freaking ding.

If the goalie situation continues to spiral out of control next year, Yzerman can get the hell out. Doesn't take a genius to see that zero goalies have improved here in Tampa. They only get worse.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice

Just me, but...

A co-worker and I had a conversation quite some time ago about FJ. My co-worker - Canadian, decent connections back home in the Goalie Universe, having been a minor league goaltender himself.

He absolutely convinced me on a great many things.

Call me cynical, skeptical, what have you. The thing about FJ that has always concerned me is not that he's ran in circles (Camps, Development Associations, Schools, etc) with some of the best netminder coaches in Hockey history. Allaire, Melanson, Tretiak, etc. Thing is, the knock on them (sans Melanson) is when they instruct, consult, coach, and so on, they personalize it. "My way or the highway". Butterfly-Butterfly-Butterfly!

Perhaps that philosophy has somehow filtered into FJ's demeanor.

We talked about Reimer and Allaire (Leafs) back when Allaire was still in Toronto and Reimer's seemingly apparent regression. Reimer's instinctive and athletic. We talked about Smitty, how he's a hybrid, a battler, with immense puck handling skills. How he was diminishing... regressing it seemed. This was pre-concussion and pre-Roloson acquisition. We talked about a few others as well.

The conclusion I came to, more like was sold on was, the Jean/Allaire train of coaching all but neuters the athletic, instinctive, aggressive, puckhandling goalie types for the tried-and-true-and-if-it-suited-Sir-Patrick-and-Jiggy-Giguere-just-fine butterfly, less aggressive, less athletic style.

And I'm not the only who thinks so.

Quote:
Knowing that size is everything these days, the main knock against the potential behemoth tandem will be a lack of NHL experience. Bishop is 26 and has played in 36 NHL games, while Lindback is 24 with 59 games played (95 combined).

From discussions Ive had with scouts, and from what I have learned on my own, it appears that Tampa Bay has been trying to get Lindback to play a more conservative butterfly style. Hes clearly quite athletic for his size, so they have worked towards getting him to bolster the positional foundation of his game. As I predicted way back in the summer, this year has clearly been a major transition for Lindback; there have been more lows than highs, and his development has been put on hold until his ankle is better.

To know that they are also trying to change a fair share of technical aspects to (his) game comes with the territory of being traded into a larger role, but it doesnt make that transition any easier.
Goalie Guild - Write up on the Bishop acquisition

Regarding Bishop (same article)

Quote:
Bishop, however, has already established that hell play, and thrive, within that positional blueprint. He already executes the quiet, economical, size-first butterfly fairly well, so I feel that may have played a big role in the Lightning making the trade for Bishop. Id have to believe when they scouted him over the past month, that aspect of style vs. substance between the two goalies was a big part of Tampa Bays internal discussions.
Now... while Justin sheds a bit of hope that Bishop can easily transition into his role here under FJ's guidance, I'm concerned where and what other aspects will be trimmed away from his skillset. Puckhandling? I'm already starting to notice Bishop creeping into his net more and playing shallow. To be fair, that could be unfamiliarity with the Dmen and a natural reaction. But it sure as hell would help, given Bishop's known for rebound-a-mania, to have a d corps that can gobble up those rebounds and clear or transition the other way.

As seen elsewhere with the reemergence of Smitty with Burke, Reimer now that Allaire's gone, even when Roloson basically told Frantz (emphasis mine) "Get outta my head" and had a slight uptick before his time was done here, blah blah blah.

My fear is, remolding two netminders could be detrimental. Especially given this current, and even future prospective, defensive system.

Somethings gonna have to give. And not to freak anyone out but... what's to become of Vasilevskiy once he comes aboard? Given what we've seen (or what I've seen) the past 2 1/2 years?
Old 04-18-2013, 02:03 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Barring a true fuck up, I don't think Frantz will be here by the time Vasilievsky gets here.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 AM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrice View Post
Just me, but...

A co-worker and I had a conversation quite some time ago about FJ. My co-worker - Canadian, decent connections back home in the Goalie Universe, having been a minor league goaltender himself.

He absolutely convinced me on a great many things.

Call me cynical, skeptical, what have you. The thing about FJ that has always concerned me is not that he's ran in circles (Camps, Development Associations, Schools, etc) with some of the best netminder coaches in Hockey history. Allaire, Melanson, Tretiak, etc. Thing is, the knock on them (sans Melanson) is when they instruct, consult, coach, and so on, they personalize it. "My way or the highway". Butterfly-Butterfly-Butterfly!

Perhaps that philosophy has somehow filtered into FJ's demeanor.

We talked about Reimer and Allaire (Leafs) back when Allaire was still in Toronto and Reimer's seemingly apparent regression. Reimer's instinctive and athletic. We talked about Smitty, how he's a hybrid, a battler, with immense puck handling skills. How he was diminishing... regressing it seemed. This was pre-concussion and pre-Roloson acquisition. We talked about a few others as well.

The conclusion I came to, more like was sold on was, the Jean/Allaire train of coaching all but neuters the athletic, instinctive, aggressive, puckhandling goalie types for the tried-and-true-and-if-it-suited-Sir-Patrick-and-Jiggy-Giguere-just-fine butterfly, less aggressive, less athletic style.

And I'm not the only who thinks so.

Goalie Guild - Write up on the Bishop acquisition

Regarding Bishop (same article)

Now... while Justin sheds a bit of hope that Bishop can easily transition into his role here under FJ's guidance, I'm concerned where and what other aspects will be trimmed away from his skillset. Puckhandling? I'm already starting to notice Bishop creeping into his net more and playing shallow. To be fair, that could be unfamiliarity with the Dmen and a natural reaction. But it sure as hell would help, given Bishop's known for rebound-a-mania, to have a d corps that can gobble up those rebounds and clear or transition the other way.

As seen elsewhere with the reemergence of Smitty with Burke, Reimer now that Allaire's gone, even when Roloson basically told Frantz (emphasis mine) "Get outta my head" and had a slight uptick before his time was done here, blah blah blah.

My fear is, remolding two netminders could be detrimental. Especially given this current, and even future prospective, defensive system.

Somethings gonna have to give. And not to freak anyone out but... what's to become of Vasilevskiy once he comes aboard? Given what we've seen (or what I've seen) the past 2 1/2 years?
I'm already starting to notice Bishop creeping into his net more and playing shallow.

That has been my gripe since the arrival of Jean. That might work in the AHL but in the NHL it is the death of the goalie. All of the goalies that have passed thru the savant Jean turn into goalies that hide under the cross bar and are very susceptible to two types of goals. Odd angle post being open and the rebound a la carte for the boys out front.

Like you mention "Get him out of my head by Roli" and Smith's "comment finally a goalie coach who understands and is showing me the way". Two comments from goalies who have had success before leaving, Roli before his Franz tutelage was pretty good in 2011 then it was like the world stopped when he found that going deep into the net was the Franzt genuis move to neuter his skill set.
I sure hope that his tutelage is short lived but I've already seen the play, Lindback and Bishop are playing deeper in the net and the GA's go up. Not rocket science.