BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 04-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Totally agree on Crombeen. He's been a disappointment. I expected him to either be tougher, fiestier or more of a contributor in other areas. Not a total disappointment, but should not be too hard to replace with an upgrade.
That's not happening. Yzerman just signed him to a 2-year extension. The organization obviously has a different opinion than most on hear on this board.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Bleh. Then we need an upgrade over Labrie. I don't mind Crombeen being our deputy as long as we have a sheriff.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Awesome. Any little bit is helpful. I'll PM you and we can figure out how to get you involved but not overwhelmingly so.
I'd like to assist too, if you need

Speaking of stats, if we do decide to retain Brewer and not use one of our 2 compliance buyouts on him, then I'd like to see via trade or FA acquisition another D-man that can slot between either Hedman/Carle or Carle/Salo.

Stats wise, we have 3 dmen who average over 20 minutes a game. Only 3. Carle being the highest at 23'ish. We need another 20+minute d-man. Compared to other rear guards avg TOI in the NHL as a whole, that's 27th, 62nd (Hedman - though injured), and 68th (Salo).

We'd have to scour the teams that face tough contract decisions in 14-15 for possibilities, or for us to speculate who may be targeted trade wise. From the UFA front, as Chad has always said, our #2 doesn't necessarily mean someone else's #2. Could be a 3 -4 guy on someone else's roster.

With the UFA crop seemingly not much of a who's-who list, there are some names on there that could be of interest.

Ian White comes to mind, so do a few others, but I was thinking of him as more a Brewer replacement than 2/3 guy

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year...D&fa_type_id=2
Old 04-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Cooper's Law

I know many of you are convinced that Vinik is going to be writing multi million dollar checks to players not to play so that he can write even more checks to players who will play. While I have my doubts that this will occur to any great extent, I'm guessing that Malone, with his reduced salary, may be the one possibility out there.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:10 PM
The Constrictor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrice View Post
I'd like to assist too, if you need

Speaking of stats, if we do decide to retain Brewer and not use one of our 2 compliance buyouts on him, then I'd like to see via trade or FA acquisition another D-man that can slot between either Hedman/Carle or Carle/Salo.

Stats wise, we have 3 dmen who average over 20 minutes a game. Only 3. Carle being the highest at 23'ish. We need another 20+minute d-man. Compared to other rear guards avg TOI in the NHL as a whole, that's 27th, 62nd (Hedman - though injured), and 68th (Salo).

We'd have to scour the teams that face tough contract decisions in 14-15 for possibilities, or for us to speculate who may be targeted trade wise. From the UFA front, as Chad has always said, our #2 doesn't necessarily mean someone else's #2. Could be a 3 -4 guy on someone else's roster.

With the UFA crop seemingly not much of a who's-who list, there are some names on there that could be of interest.

Ian White comes to mind, so do a few others, but I was thinking of him as more a Brewer replacement than 2/3 guy

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year...D&fa_type_id=2
Ian White has also been my most recurring thought for a potential UFA target, but with the recent holes left it DET's blue line, you have to think they're going to try harder than we can to keep him.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
I also don't want to see a revolving door of veteran FA signees. But I agree with Pete about Malone. We can do better simply by redirecting that money at a free agent who doesn't have such obvious faults. The guy cannot stay healthy. So what good is he?

Brewer is still serviceable and calm. I don't mind paying a guy like that to do what he does. We need some veterans. The moment we got rid of Brewer we'd have opened up a need for a veteran stay-at-home dman. Those cost money. Brewer is all right. Not saying we couldn't upgrade there, but it's not as easy as it sounds.

Totally agree on Crombeen. He's been a disappointment. I expected him to either be tougher, fiestier or more of a contributor in other areas. Not a total disappointment, but should not be too hard to replace with an upgrade.

Finally, there's Aulie. I think it's WAY too early in the kid's career to label him, project him, write him off or earmark him to be "jettisoned." That'd be hasty and short-sighted. Let the kid develop. What teams wouldn't like a young, mobile 6-foot-6 stay-at-home dman on their bottom pair? Give him a chance.
Agreed with this. Malone would be the only one I'd consider doing something with. Hopefully we can deal him, should have dealt him last year.

I can't really call Crombeen a disappointment though when I wasn't expecting much to begin with. I'd treat the lower line guys exactly how the Rays treat their bullpen arms. 1-2 year deals and constant turnover. Just way too plentiful to worry about extending until the season is over.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Johnny Shortside

Could Ballard be an option?

Decent top 4 option when used correctly, constantly seems to be in the doghouse in Vancouver and could definitely be a cap fall casualty given his $4.2 million cap hit. Obviously causes more problems for us cap wise but im sure SFY could find a way.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

I will be shocked if we use the compliance buyout on anyone. Malone and Brewer both have value that it would be stupid to just hand them $ to walk away with nothing in return. That being said there will definitely be some player movement as there aren't enough spots for everyone here or on the way.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Swedish Battle Tank

I am hoping they extend an offer to Bishop real soon.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Mike..

Stats site...I'm a Stats teacher, and # freak. PLEASE let me get in on this