BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Kinda makes you wish Papa Phil had had a word with Stevie Y and the other brass about retaining the Bruins black, which conveniently depicts our ominous summer skies pretty well and was chosen specifically by Espo to be our first and foremost color because it looks tough. Blue is 2nd. Black & blue. Get it? Get i--oh, never mind
Old 05-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I like the new logo and overall look personally. Just add the silver and black to the uniforms like the 3rd jerseys still have. It'll still be a classic design while more truly representing the team's history. Also bring back the victory stripes and make the 03-04 cup winning blacks our 3rd.

Last edited by Hoek; 05-06-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

While we're on the topic, anyone else think the Crunch jerseys look better than ours? Minus the superfluous piping along the underarms, that is.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Default Black

I really want the black back. Yes add it to the leaf blue jersey to give the new look a link to our past, but then bring back a 3rd that is black and silver, with blue slashes. Personally I hate that baby blue color, would prefer a dark blue with black and silver stripes on the new logo. Ugh that baby blue is just like half the teams in the NHL and does not distinguish us from them.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
While we're on the topic, anyone else think the Crunch jerseys look better than ours?
Sadly that's just not very difficult to do till they restore the normal Lightning black & blue colors (and victory stripes). Right now both the logo and color are blah compared to any previous designs.

Even if they honor the commitment to restore the colors, the logo itself will still look less like the product of $1,000,000+ spent with a fancy NY firm than the product of 10 minutes spent by a 10-year-old on a Mac with a page of clip-art for inspiration, but that's not changing any time soon. We can live with that if the colors are made right. And a new black third with the new shoulder patch as the crest, and no shoulder patches or yoke, just old-school black with the lacing at the neck, would be an instant best-selling classic like the new Kings jersey in 88 when they went to....black
Old 05-20-2013, 08:12 PM
The Constrictor

Send a message via AIM to Kowalski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Sadly that's just not very difficult to do till they restore the normal Lightning black & blue colors (and victory stripes). Right now both the logo and color are blah compared to any previous designs.

Even if they honor the commitment to restore the colors, the logo itself will still look less like the product of $1,000,000+ spent with a fancy NY firm than the product of 10 minutes spent by a 10-year-old on a Mac with a page of clip-art for inspiration, but that's not changing any time soon. We can live with that if the colors are made right. And a new black third with the new shoulder patch as the crest, and no shoulder patches or yoke, just old-school black with the lacing at the neck, would be an instant best-selling classic like the new Kings jersey in 88 when they went to....black
The purple and gold Kings 3rd jerseys are the sexiest thing in the league in my opinion. Absolutely love them. But I agree that a black 3rd with the shoulder crest as the logo would be awesome.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:13 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
While we're on the topic, anyone else think the Crunch jerseys look better than ours?
Yes. Their logo is laughable, but if you replaced Crunchman with the current Lightning logo, it would be a better jersey than what the Lightning currently sport.

Someone needs to get in Cooper's ear and tell him about the victory stripes. Jon's new school. I think he'd get it. Victory stripes = victories. The kids want to look good, play good.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Swedish Battle Tank

After watching the Wing/Blackhawk game tonight I say we need much more than a uniform change. This game was brutal, and game 4 should be worse. Our team, the Bolts, are just way too soft to compete at this level.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Side View Post
After watching the Wing/Blackhawk game tonight I say we need much more than a uniform change.
True, no one paying attention would suggest ALL they need is the uniform changed...but fixing the colors they do need. After a fair amount of surfing and reading, "very extremely widespread" is how I'd characterize the sentiment in this area that our team colors be restored to black & blue--silver not so much in the conversation since it was such a small accent color anyway--followed closely by restoring the victory stripes. Fans do not appreciate how the tiny, thin black lines were somewhat grudgingly allowed, only in sewn-on elements and not the integrated stripes, and on the back of the jersy only, leaving a plain, monochrome logo that any group of kindergarteners could tell you is less dynamic and exciting-looking than the previous bolt; it's an unbalanced, unfinished look overall. I'd say it's about 90-10 in favor of adding black, ditching the Leafs colors with the Wings stripe pattern.

Most teams get it. Other teams choose to go through these convulsions in identity, but they come back home. Penguins & Kings restored light blue & purple respectively. Canucks took forever but came back to blue & green. Sabres came back to blue & gold. Islanders came back to blue & orange (and bye-bye fish stick guy). The only team in the league with black & blue needs to drop the lame copycat routine and come back home to their original, winning colors. Hopefully they will get around to this after the bean counters figure out the best way to market it to the masses. IMHO a come-clean, J.C. Penney-style campaign of "We goofed, but we listened to you, our valued fans, and now we're Back in Black!" with a shindig thrown on the plaza featuring a rich black carpet in place of red, players in black tuxes signing autographs, new blue with black & white stripes T-shirts on sale, maybe some being shot from an air gun into the crowd for souvenirs, etc. would pump up the fans--and ticket sales. Maybe roll out a new black third (fourth?) with the shoulder patch logo as the crest while they're at it, and listen to the register ring
Old 05-21-2013, 08:46 AM
BP Staff

I get wanting to see the color scheme tweaked a little more (i.e. more black) and restoring the victory stripes but are there people that really think any or all of the old logos are preferable to the new one? I mean, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but, if so, I just don't get it how anybody could reach that conclusion, especially when they look at all four versions side-by-side:

I'm not saying it's perfect; I do think the varying thickness of the circle is an obvious blemish and I think the current road logo, like all previous versions, could do without the wording, but if the goal was to create an iconic image that can't easily be dated

Last edited by Mike; 05-21-2013 at 08:52 AM.